“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Review of Hotel des Carmes

Hotel des Carmes
Ranked #891 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family and I stayed in hotel des carmes for 3 nights, we are a family of 6 persons so we booked 2 triple rooms. One of our rooms had a balcony with a partial view of both the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Pantheon. Our other room had a courtside view which wasn't so bad also. The hotel itself is a little dated but kept very clean. Marie at the front desk is friendly and very helpful, i wasnt able to get the name of the other front desk man but he was also nice. The rooms are spacious for European standards, we had ample space for our luggage and still have room to move around. The bathroom was a little small but not cramped. Having airconditioning in the room was a definite plus since the weather and temperature in Paris varied while we we're there.

Location: We loved the location! The metro station was just down the street, Restaurants and cafes are nearby. The Notre dame Cathedral is an easy 5-10 min walk from the hotel depending on your pace so is the Pantheon. The hotel is located in a quiet street, away from the touristy streets. It's also convenient since the Hop on hop off buses all stop at the Notre Dame.

Breakfast: We only had one breakfast there during our stay because we opted to eat breakfast in one of the cafes in the area since we got more for the same price as the hotel.

Overall: I would definitely book with Hotel des carmes again and recommend it to others as well. =)

Room Tip: Request for a room on the street side. =)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Katherine425
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Carmes

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is ideally located in the Latin Quarter, an ideal base when exploring Paris and within easy walking distance to the metro, Pantheon, Notre Dame to name a few. It is also close to many good restaurants and cafes. At the end of the road there is a strip of little shops which include a wine shop, cheese shop, bakery, green grocer etc - great if you want to put a picnic together for dinner by the eiffel ;-)
The hotel is quite basic and the rooms rather small and a little outdated. Not that we cared at all - it was also extremely clean and the bed super comfy. The staff are lovely and even lets us borrow utensils and plates for our picnic. This hotel is fantastic value for Paris and I will be sure to stay here again when I next visit Paris

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aus-Nellie
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was trying to find a reasonably-priced hotel in the Latin Quarter and finally came upon this. It seemed too good to be true so I was worried about the quality. I worried over nothing. It is a simple place, like a Motel 6 level place, but that is all I need for Paris. The price was right too. Next time I'm in Paris, I'm heading back to Hotel des Carmes. BTW, there is a great Italian restaurant, Il Pescatore, on the corner. They have the best eggplant parmesan ever.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sukibot
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was one of the best hotel abroad experiences I've ever had. My friend and I (both in our mid-twenties) were looking for a great location, in a safe neighborhood for a good price, and we got all of this in spades with Hotel Des Carmes (there is a metro station within a minutes walk, and Notre Dame and the the Pantheon are within easy walking distance as well). The design of the hotel is modest, but the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the location and the staff are wonderful. If you're looking for a true Paris experience, you can't go wrong here.

As a testament (and a thank you!) to the wonderful staff: Our early morning flight was delayed by 6 hours on our way out of Paris, so we went back to the hotel to see if we could try to sign back into our room to get some sleep. Not only did the extremely friendly desk manager let us back in our room, they allowed us complimentary use of their phone to contact our next hotel to let them know of our late arrival.

I will be staying at this hotel on my next visit to Paris!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with a street view, it's beautiful!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank AustinEP
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very tidy hotel in an excellent location, well managed with helpful staff. Rooms are small, but quiet with good A/C, beds and WiFi. Breakfast (7.50 euro) was convenient but a bit too simple with so many other choices nearby. The Seine and Notre-Dame de Paris and a multitude of restaurants are within a 10 minute walk. I first stayed at Hotel des Carmes in 1982 and again in 1988 after a major renovation. I was delighted to find that they continue to update the rooms and keep the hotel in great shape.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill R
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights 10th/12th July. Although I have used this Hotel many times, this is my first review. The Hotel is situated in the St.Germain district which is a good location for many of the sights. There are many good quality eating places...very close to the Hotel. There is quite a good market near the Hotel in the Rue Ecoles. As I have said in my previous reviews of Paris Hotels...you do not get a lot of value for the rate you pay I had a single room which was quite adequate, with a shower in the small bathroom. It was clean and tidy and they supplied shampoo etc. The Hotel is situated nearto the Cluny Museum, Notre-Dame and the Pantheon. I paid 97 euro per night which did not include breakfast, but there are many cafes a short distance from the Hotel. This is a good 2 star Hotel in a good loction, for sightseeing and public transport..

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Hotel des Carmes is a great little hotel in the Latin Quarter, between the Pantheon (south) and Cathedral Notre Dame (north). What makes this hotel work, inside, is the design--by which I mean not fancy decor, but the efficient use of space: cozy, comfortable rooms with functional amenities--air-conditioning, free strong Wi-Fi, TV, closet, side tables, desk, room to walk. Some charm, too: our room had a cute balcony overlooking the street, accessible via floor-to-ceiling windows, openable for fresh air. On the outside, it is the location--steps to the Maubert Mutualite metro stop, cafes, boulangeries (several in the neighborhood, but we went to the closest, on rue des Ecoles, west of rue des Carmes), bars (Bar a Bieres on rue des Ecoles, east of rue des Carmes), a sandwich shop (down the street at Blvd St. Germain), restaurants (e.g., Terra Nova for pizza, Godjo for Ethiopian), etc. (See photos.) Rue Mouffetard, especially, is choc-a-block with restaurants catering to locals. Stayed in a triple room on the 5th floor (523) with two teenage kids--balcony overlooked the street, still quiet. Front-desk extremely friendly & helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street, such as 523, are probably more interesting, while still quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family