“Charming little hotel, beautifully located!!! :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel de Nice

Hotel de Nice
Ranked #765 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Montreal, Canada
“Charming little hotel, beautifully located!!! :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This little hotel was perfect for our 4 days stay in Paris in Aug 2012. Fantastic location in the Marrais, minutes from the beautiful Notre Dame, and literally a 2 minute walk to metro!!!
Yes, the room was small... but welcome to Europe's top cities!! We wanted to see as much as possible in our short four day visit as we had come a loooong way (from Canada). i.e. as little time in the room as possible!! The staff were great... Especially Gael. What a wonderful person... When I showed her our super compact plans of the days, she helped me optimize the routs, etc... Even though we spoke fluent French, she made an effort to speak English (Good English!!)... I caught a cold during our stay, and she took the time to write down some the name of some off the shelf medications for me, and asked me every morning if I was better... Little things that made a HUGE difference for our first (certainly not last) Parisian experience...
All in all, great hotel, GREAT experience, and I definitely would go back...

ENJOY PARIS... IT'S A LOVELY PLACE...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niloo1366

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This small hotel has much to offer in terms of location and charm. It is three star and offers all that one would expect from a hotel with that rating. The rooms are fine in terms of size. The bathroom is small and certainly a one at a time place. The shower has great pressure and plenty of hot water. If you bend down however you are likely to turn the water off through bumping the tap! The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The location is perfect for exploring Paris. Most sites are an easy walk or else the Metro is close by. There is a great courtyard area next door with cafes and restaurants if you do not want to travel further. The rooms are quiet with the windows closed. With them open it is great to listen to the noises from below. Looking out the window you can see the hustle and bustle from the courtyard cares. With the windows closed, and the A C on, then no noise from below can be heard. A good nights sleep. So yes in terms of value for money this is a great place to stay. We would certain stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked this hotel based on nice reviews on tripadvisor.
I arrive at night in paris and got to the hotel to find hotel staff who were too busy to attend to us and once attended told us our room was on the 5th floor and no lift to use for us (only a small old lift for luggage) - so we were stuck walking up 90 steps and my 70 year old mother struggled as did i!
the room was tiny - could not bend to pick something up in the bathroom without hitting the wall and i'm a small person. no fridge or bar ie no water apart from the tap. and very noisy from the bars downstairs.

When discussed with them the issues above mainly the stairs in the morning they suggested we should go else were and best they could offer us would be the 3rd floor. I told them that this was not possible for us as my mother is unable to climb up that far and they didnt try to help. When i asked if we could check out and cancel the rest of the stay they did not agree and refused to refund ANY of the 6 nights booked.

We moved to a different hotel just down the road which was very comfortable and lovely and clean.

I wouldn't stay here if you fancy climbing up flights and flights of stairs after a long day of sightseeing unless you are very tight for the budget. definitely ruined the start to a nice stay in paris.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hannah H
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Fabulous location - an old hotel with bathrooms in the corner of the rooms. They were as small as we had on our canal boat so they would not impress Americans! The beds were just passable, the rate was fantastic, the female day managers (2) were helpful. The evening manager was an Indian fellow who needs people skill lessons. Main downside was yelling and noise from the bars and restaurants in the square below) which went until dawn each morning.

Room Tip: ask if they have one that is not exposed to noise from revellers
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thebosso
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

The beds were comfortable but the pillows were hard and lumpy, and there was insufficient lighting. The bathroom was very nice for Paris with an enclosed shower. The lift usually began at the 1st floor not the ground floor entry. The entry and public spaces are long overdue for a face lift. This is not near the fashionable section of the Rue de Rivoli, and it is very difficult to hail a cab. The first room we were shown has not closet or drawers and were were staying for six nights. There are much better choices.

Room Tip: Ask if there are down pillows and a chest of drawers or at least an armoire.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

I ACTUALLY took this trip in September of 2008, it won't let me review that far back (I'm sure they just want to keep things recent, but I believe this is a place that deserves a review).

It was my first trip to Paris, France. The night before my trip I began my search for a place to stay by calling hotels, one by one, speaking French to the receptionists to the best of my ability (which was, unfortunately, not very well). Most of my attempts were halted VERY abruptly by a voice, saying "English is spoken here for your convenience", which was the nice way of saying "PLEASE stop butchering our language". Others interrupted with the equivalent of "we're full". I still wonder if I was rejected immediately by some BECAUSE of my poor attempts at French.

The Hotel de Nice had a very friendly receptionist who answered and, very patiently, listened to me and helped me book a room. If I remember correctly, I gave a credit card over the phone to secure my reservation, and they said they'd confirm it using e-mail. At that point I had no laptop with me, so the train ride to Paris was a little uneasy, not knowing 100% if the booking process went through alright. However when I arrived I was greeted and checked in without any problems.

The inside of this particular hotel was like no other in that it had an old Victorian antique look to it, despite the simple inner-city looking entrance. Bright pinks, greens, and blues painted the walls and staircases of this thin-vertical hotel. Inside the rooms were comfortable with elaborate designed "safari" wallpaper (if I remember correctly) and a small window with a view of the Parisian skyline and Rivoli St. I could tell the building was a bit older by the overall sounds heard, but at night it was quiet and the utilities were up to date. No complaints here. No wifi offered back then, but that might have changed.

I think what I liked about this hotel the most was how friendly the attendants were. Of the three people I met at the front, 2 spoke english very well and ALL three were extremely helpful. I seem to remember the location being pretty good. A restaurant next door offered wifi to paying customers and the food was decent as well. I didn't have a good experience with the fish, but I think I wasn't used to all the butter (or SOMETHING similar). I walked most everywhere or took the metro. Seemed like a pretty safe area.

First time in Paris and you're looking for a smaller off the map hotel, this is a great place to check out. Not TOP notch, but has character and a friendly staff (or at least it was when I visited).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo