“Great hotel”
Review of New Orient Hotel

New Orient Hotel
Ranked #333 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 13, 2013

A very comfortable hotel, pleasant rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is on a quiet road but close to Villiers metro with links to Montmarche if you want to go north, or to the Louvre and everywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
umee, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your kind review and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the New Orient.

Kind regards from

Catherine, Josef Wehrle and their Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a delightful 9 day stay in this beautiful boutique hotel! We found it on the Internet and the fabulous reviews made our decision. The owners and staff are SO amazingly helpful and accommodating and went above and beyond to make our stay in Paris as beautifully memorable as it could possibly be.
If you want a boring,standard hotel then this is not for you. Beautifully decorated with a. Warm intimate feel and spotlessly clean. The linens are luxurious,comfortable bed and ample storage( even for an overpacker such as I ) the location is perfect- my husband enjoyed running throughout the lovely neighborhood every morning and we had the luxury of having our scrumptious breakfast brought to our room each morning. I have some difficulty walking and was dutifully told about the stairs between the lift,but with gleaming handrails,I experienced no difficulty whatsoever.
The recommendations of restaurants and sights to see were terrific and how convenient to have a grocery and laundry right across the street; delightful flower shops,a pharmacy and several very good restaurants nearby,made everything even cosier.
I am very picky and could find only the very best things to say about this lovely oasis. The personal touch is unbeatable and although I use the Internet several times a day,found nary a problem with it's Wi-Fi service.
I will recommend this hotel to every friend I know and can't wait to return again! Treat yourself to beautiful accommodations at an extremely modest price!

Room Tip: We had a courtyard room and found it blissfully quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Vaglassmoore
umee, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your kind report on the New Orient.

To read that you you felt comfortable in our little place is for us the best compliment we can get and it encourages us to always do our best to satisfy our guests as much as we can.

Wishing you all the best

Kindest regards from

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with my parents (active 70+ year olds) on weekend 20th to 22nd September. Staff could not have been more helpful. We had very good recommendations for restaurants, advice, help printing boarding passes and no problem with the internet.

The rooms and bath room are spotless, smallish and characterful. We had room 20 overlooking inner courtyard and no problems with noise. Beds in continental style were twins pushed together and very comfortable.

The location is great for access to central Paris just down the road from Villiers metro but if you are energetic it's a great walk down to the Seine via L'Opera and the Louvre.

If you want a large roomed, bland, beige business hotel with faultless IT don't come here. If you like character, charm and and professional and friendly staff who encourage attempts at faltering French, are interested, helpful and have a sense of humour come here! We will definitely be returning soon!

Room Tip: We liked our room looking over the inner courtyard.
1  Thank bluearapaima

Dear Guests,

We thank you for sharing your impressions on our hotel and are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with your parents.
Looking forward to have the pleasure to welcome you in the future,

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at the New Orient, and it exceeded out expectations in all areas.
The staff were eager to help, offering us directions, maps, a place to store our bags before and after check out, and all with a warm, welcoming and professional manner.
We were very happy with the location - a sunday market and plenty of bakeries and cafes nearby, close to Villiers metro station, 5min walk to Park Monceau, less than 15 mins walk to the arc de triumph and top of the champs de Elysees.
The rooms were decorated with taste and extremely clean.
Couldn't think of a better place to stay :)

Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your kind comments on our hotel. We are pleased to read that you appreciated it atmosphere and service.

Hoping to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon,

Catherine, Josef and Catherine Wehrle

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I loved my stay here in early October and wouldn't hesitate to return. Hotel staff were welcoming and attentive, and the room (though small - I was a solo traveller) was clean and airy, and the bathroom new and spotless. My room (first floor with windows opening onto the internal courtyard) had no issue with Internet access. The hotel was cosy and homey, and given the location, I felt as if I was staying in an actual local community environment. I don't like the impersonal feeling of large, corporate hotels, so this was perfect for me. There were lots of shops, cafes etc close by, it was easy to get around, the breakfast was fabulous (and the staff very accommodating), and I loved the classical music. A real gem.

Room Tip: Rooms facing onto the back internal courtyard are possibly quieter, but if you want the full Parisia...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Feli55

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your kind comments on our hotel and are pleased that you felt comfortable during your stay with us.
We are sorry that you could not reach internet from your room. This problem should be solved within a few weeks with an updating installation to ameliorate the access in the whole hotel.
In the meantime it is working quite well in the lobby.

Looking forward to welcome you again soon,

Catherien, Josef Wehrle and their team

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here together with my husband in a twin room with bath (beds pushed together). The room was quite compact but the bathroom was nice and roomy with two washbasins and a shower in the bathtub. The only little niggle we had was that the water didn't drain well, both in the basins and the bath. The room had all the mod-cons we find enjoyable (like air conditioning and free WiFi) and the beds had great mattresses. Everything was exceptionally clean! We went for the breakfast on the first morning, but enjoyed it so much that we kept having breakfast in the hotel during the whole stay. The staff and the lady owner were very helpful in recommending restaurants and even booking one for us. The location was also really good, very close to the metro lines and station and also within walking distance to major tourist attractions. We've had a wonderful stay and I can surely recommend this to our friends and family!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

We thank you for taking time to share your impressions on our hotel and are pleased to read that you were satisfied with our quality and service.
We only regret that you did not inform us about your basin and tub problems which would have been easy to solve immediately.
Wishing you all the best and looking forward to welcome you again in the future,

Catherine , Josef Wehrle and their team

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my parents. It's a very good price for the return you have.

But ONLY if you are willing to be isolated from this world. The Internet does not work AT ALL.

The most impressive thing is the attitude of the staff: THEY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THAT.

I arrived on a Friday night. I report the problem, nothing was done. Saturday morning I asked for a solution and they man in charge of the front desk told me he could do NOTHING.

I asked for a technician. He told the hotel did not have one. I TOLD THEM WE WERE IN PARIS.

My mother MUST work and the ONLY way for me to speak with my girlfriend is Skype with her, religiously every day.

THE STAFF DO NOT CARE.

The man even told me the hotel is there to guarantee a room, energy and water. I showed him what was written AS OFFERED by the hotel and I even told him I could not tell everything he deserves because I was too polite for that.

I tried another staff. Same attitude. They do not care.

So the hotel is clean, but it's not really a hotel, it's a private business where the owner participates. It's what we call in French "chambre d'hôtes" - guest rooms. Location is not that bad also. Nothing to do in the neighbourhood but it's next to the main centers of activities. Best subway is Villiers.

Sleep quality is not good, as it's a residential area, some locals give parties in their apartments and you cannot sleep. The truck that takes out the recycling is very noisy.

If you can stay isolated from the world go there. If you expect to talk to your relatives or friends, please run far from this hotel, as fast as you can.

My assessment is a hundred per cent based on staff attitude and lack of Internet.

Room Tip: No Internet in the hotel. So in the first place see if you are willing to stay isolated, even consid...
3  Thank Schegerin
umee, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
We have noted your comments on our hotel in Trip Advisor.
In connection with your difficulties in obtaining internet access, we would like to inform you that 2 years ago we invested in a top grade and very expensive WIFI installation in the whole hotel ; unfortunately, due to the increasing number of internet connections (iphones, ipads, computers with skype connections and all sorts of heavy downloads), it sometimes happens that the circuit is saturated and stops temporarily. However, if this problem arises, there is always a computer at the disposal of our guests at the reception for emergencies.
At present, the hotel, as well as many other buildings in the centre of Paris, cannot be connected to an optical fiber system and this will not be possible for a certain time yet.
In the meantime, we have organised another solution to improve access ; this will be operative in about 3 weeks.
We understand that your problem with WIFI access was important but we and our staff have no solution to saturation problems at the moment.
It seems to us rather unreasonable to expect a small 30 bedroom 2 star private hotel to have a permanent computer technician on its staff or a 24/7 trouble shooting service.
You accuse our staff of not bothering about your difficulties. This is rather unfair as they cannot perform miracles. They tried to explain the situation to you respectfully and patiently but apparently you did not want to understand. Our staff members have been working with us for a long time and they always do their best to help all our guests, who are generally appreciative.
As you needed to skype your girlfriend at 4 a.m. , we suggested that the breakfast room should be put at your disposal to protect your privacy and also to avoid too much noise for the surrounding rooms at such an early hour in the morning. Apparently this resolved your problem perfectly as you spoke for more than 1 hour with her. This means that the WIFI worked correctly.
Naturally, we have a 24/7 trouble shooting service for our essential services : electricity, water, telephone, lift, fire security and central heating ; this does not correspond with the service of a “Maison d’Hôtes” as you suggest.
As hotel owners, we are present and active in our hotel 60 hours a week to make our guests' stay as pleasant as possible and we do not feel, under the circumstances, that you are justified in criticising the hotel in such a manner.
We would like to point out that, at your parents' arrival very early in the morning, we managed to put the room at their disposal at 9.30 a.m instead of the contractual 2 p.m. Josef Wehrle, the hotel manager, also himself carried their luggage to their room. Apparently, they were very appreciative of this service after a long tiring flight.
As far as the « bad sleeping quality » is concerned, we are naturally sorry that you were disturbed by a nearby party but, in Paris as in any other big city, we cannot anticipate or control this kind of disturbance. We are located in a business and residential area in the centre of Paris and, even if our place is considered as very quiet (being fully equipped with double-glazed windows), this kind of problem can occur especially on a Saturday evening.
We really feel that your comments on the noise of the dump truck are inappropriate. We cannot control this but are happy to have this daily service in Paris. Otherwise we would no longer be able to walk on the street and the city would be filthy.
As far as the location of the hotel is concerned, it is a shame that you did not ask our staff for more information on our area which offers plenty of places to explore. We are fortunate in being close to many areas of interest to tourists, whether by foot, by metro (3 nearby stations) or by bus (4 nearby lines).
We are disappointed that our hotel did not fulfil your expectations.
Best regards