“New Year in Paris”
Review of New Orient Hotel

New Orient Hotel
Ranked #323 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late after having problems with the hotels directions, which we found to be poor. We asked for train tickets to Villers but ended up in Villers sur Marne, outside of Paris. The receptionists seemed to find this quite funny. To their credit, they were more helpful as our stay progressed and the customer service was excellent from all people we met at Hotel Orient. Room was very small but comfortable. Very clean. Noise travelled between bedrooms quite badly and we could often hear other guests talking in their rooms, which kept us awake at night on several occasions. Although so far it sounds negative, we loved our stay at Hotel Orient. The location in Villiers is excellent for exploring the city and seeing the sights. Its a residential area with easy access to Paris metro, which is an amazing system by the way! Queuing for the Eiffel Tower was a nightmare, taking 4 hours!! Make sure you book online and save yourselves hours of queuing! Good local restaurant was Risi Bisi, an excellent Italian restaurant. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank BNSJ
umee, Directeur général at New Orient Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Madam, ear Sir,

First of all we would like to thank you for your visit in our hotel and the corresponding
review.

We are really sorry about your bad experience concerning the access to our hotel.
We are really surprised that you did not find it according to the very precise
explanations written on our website as it is the first time that guests got lost in that proportion.
It is clearly explained, that from the Gare du Nord, you have to take the pedestrian tunnel to metro station LA CHAPELLE, take Line 2 towards Porte Dauphine and get off at VILLIERS which is not the RER to VILLIERS SUR MARNE located far away from Paris..
You wrote that our receptionnist found your experience funny but Abdelhak is working with us since many years and is very helpful with each guest. He really did not find your experience funny. He also was really sorry for you and even brought your luggage in your room.

Concerning the room size, we are not an exception in capitals like Paris, London etc.. and even 3 or 4 stars hotels do not have always bigger rooms than ours but often to much higher rates and if they have sometimes bigger rooms, the rate are of course much higher.

For the noise, we are in a 19 century building and do our best to ameliorate the soundproofing as much as we can. This was also a very special period during which many guests were going out until late at night and did not always realise that they were noisy.

In spite of all we are happy that you appreciated your stay with us and wish you again a very Happy New Year.
With our best regards

Catherine and Josef Wehrle

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Room was not big, but we were in Paris, we were not there to just sit in the hotel room, who cares if the room was small? We had better things to see like the Arc de Triomphe & Eiffel Tower, the Lourve, Champs Élysées which are all accessible from the very close walking distance to Villiers metro station (metro in Paris is wonderfully on time). The little pastry shop just up the corner is great to grab breakfast on the run (wonderful croissants, but all croissants in Paris are amazing!)

Staff here are great at giving directions & showing things on the map when asked for.

Stay here if you can, you will be surprised at how nice it is

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Filfromoz
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for myself and my boyfriend for three nights for my 21st birthday. We were warmly greeted by the staff on arrival and they continued to be very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The owners and their team even left me a birthday card and a present in our room on the day of my birthday, which was a lovely, unexpected surprise! Our room itself was cosy and comfortable, and the breakfast was nice, if slightly limited. The hotel itself is in a good central location, so it doesn't take much travelling to get to any of the main tourist sights. All in all, I would definitely recommend the New Orient Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights after Xmas with our children in a double room (no 3) and a twin (no5).
As I say this hotel is spotless, the bedroom, bathroom and breakfast areas are fastidiously well kept. The staff are helpful - not exactly forthcoming but obliging if asked for help.
Bedroom 3 was ours and quite compact with a quirky wardrobe that had a vicious squeaking when opened. My experience of French rooms is that they are not very large, this is true here but enough for a short stay. The bathroom was fine with hair dryer, soap and shampoo.
The only complaint we would have is the noise. Not from the Metro which goes beneath and is evident but not an issue. The quality of soundproofing from the above floor was not good enough to stop our sleep being disturbed several times - why do people have a bath at 4 am? Also a wooden floor doesn't help. The location of bed3 is at the top of the 1st floor stairs and you can hear guests talking in reception quite clearly from inside the room. Added to this when guests use the doorbell you will hear it.
Bed 5 was adequate, quite dark, compact and no view except into a yard of other buildings. Here the shower floods all over the shower room floor due to a poor design. Again it is fine for a short stay.
The bed and linen were very comfortable and good quality.
We had breakfast on just one day, tea juice breads pastries, all of which was good and served on very nice cups & plates etc. We chose to eat out on the other days due to time and trips already planned.
Location wise it is within walking distance, 20 mins or so of a lot of attractions and 5 mins from the metro villiers.
Overall this is a great little hotel, we would recommend it but maybe try rooms on another floor away from the noise of reception.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Tony P
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We found this hotel through Tripadvisor, for a half term break with our daughters, and what a find it is! Spotless, extremely comfortable rooms, exceptionally helpful staff (as an example we brought back some oysters and wine for a treat one day and had them in our room, as the hotel doesn't really have restaurant facilities outside of breakfast time- and when we asked her to dispose of the shells the lady on duty nicely castigated us, not for eating them in our room, but for failing to ask her to prepare them for us as a one off in the breakfast room !). Really brilliant service, way over the norm.
It is also in a super position, quiet, but a hop from 2 metros, plus a lovely breakfast if you want it. All in all it puts London to complete shame at the cost and more than merits its place at the top of the T/A ratings alongside places several times the cost.

Next time in Paris it is a must. Unless you want to spend far more for free hair conditioner in the room, this place is seriously a challenge to beat and I would thank the staff sincerely for their kindness in our stay.

Room Tip: NOt relevant
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank stuart s
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was so excited to finally see Paris after years of studying the French language. I am quite happy I picked this hotel. It was small, cozy and charming. The owners were quite helpful and pleasant at all times.
The room was very small for 4 people but seeing as it is Paris it is understandable, so I do not fault them, any hotel in this city would've been the same. The location was quite close to a number of metro stops, Europe being the closest, and one at the St. Lazare station was only minutes away on foot for longer train journeys. We walked to the St. Lazere metro stop when we checked out, which had a direct line connection to Gare de Lyon where we got on a train to Dijon.
If you like to walk like my family does, then it is a grwat location. HEre is what we did on our 1st day in Paris.
Wake up, eat breakfast at the New Orient
Walk to Ile de la Cite and the Nortre Dame
Walk to Shakespeare and Company on the way to Musee D"Orsay
Walk to the Louvre
Walk the whole length of the Chanmps Elysse (where we saw Daniel Craig form Skyfall at a premier!) and climbed up the Arc de Triomphe
Walked home to the hotel.
Yes it was a long day! But it was worth it!
The next day we saw the Eiffel Tower and took the Metro to Versailles.
I cant wait to return to Paris and when I do I will stay here!
One more tip would be to utilize the fabulous grocery store across the street!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Fearless17
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the New Orient for a pre-Christmas break based upon the strength of the TripAdvisor ratings. I had been in Paris for the week anyway but due to work commitments had to stay in the anonymous Hilton at La Défense. I fancied a change for the relaxation part of the trip and wanted to be a little closer to Paris.

The New Orient is truly a lovely place. Absolutely immaculate throughout, and I am fussy (my parents ran a hotel). I initially booked a room online with a bathroom and balcony but as this was unavailable I was promptly called and a voicemail left explaining the situation and offering me an equally nice room, but without balcony at a rate of 150 Euros instead of 160 which was fair enough. As the weather wasn't up to much we didn't miss the balcony!

The room was just the right size for a couple, comfortable and warm. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and with well equipped white units. Location is great - quiet and restful in the evenings but with a nice eatery close by (Il Piccolino) and Europe Metro a very short walk around the corner. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable, the WiFi was strong. Security seems good, which matters to my wife in particular - there always seemed to be somebody around.

Breakfast was nice at 8 Euro per person but equally there's a few local places if you fancy something more extensive. Staff were friendly but not overbearing and crucially for me allowed me to try out my French, correcting and congratulating my poor grammar! Having said that, English is widely spoken. Reception is a really nice place to wait after checkout and we never felt like we were in the way, or that anything was too much trouble.

If you twisted my arm the only tiny criticism that I could come up with is that the towels in the bathroom were a bit thin and cheap, but if you're going to that level of fussiness there's nothing much wrong. We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Give them a call if you can, to ensure that your ideal room is available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple