“True paris cafe experience with great service”
Review of Le Pre aux Clercs

Le Pre aux Clercs
Ranked #766 of 17,155 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“True paris cafe experience with great service”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We where told that Saint Germain was a great place to get some food and coffee that wasnt one of the tourist/fast food places.

It was really close to the Saint Germain chappel but far enough away that is wasnt too expensive.

I had a lovely blue cheese salad and a cappuchino. The coffee was really good but a little bitter on the aftertaste as most french coffee tends to be. A fruity with roasted almond taste.

The salad was fantasic and full if flavour.

They also have a wide selection of beer and wine but we didnt try any.

The service was great. With our very basic french, the waiters spoke english and where very friendly and quick.

:D

• Visited July 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid waisting your time and money here”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

...we just stopped in this apparently "original" cafe in St. Germain recently. It was sunday and one of the few open places in the area. We ordered a cold pint of beer, a good mojito and some sparkling water. Service was in rush, we got a warm beer (poor quality, probably diluted with water), a caipirinha that we had to send back and....after several minutes we got a mojito done with very mixed quality rhum. Water got onto the table after four requests and 20 minutes after. Very touristy, low quality drinks, too expensive for the overall experience. We did not try any food as we were not inspired by what we could see around us on different tables. We spent for the three drinks as described above 27.5 euros (10 for the beer, 10 for the terrible mojitos, 7.50 for a small bottle of water). See the picture attached to the review. What is funny is that we have been charged a big bottle of water while we got a small one. We asked for clarifications and they seemed not to know what to say. After a few seconds they told us the two bottles have the same price. We paid and we will never go back. Avoid such a pain and pick up one of the many other cafes in the area.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Warpa
New York City, New York
“Average. Good location. Outdoor sitting.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We came across this cafe by accident. Planning on going to the restaurant around the corner but was closed so we settled for this since it's the only one nearby.
Nothing special. I ordered onion soup which was average. I had better ones. It was our first day so we wanted a more Parisian local experience however there were a few Americans/tourists next to us so it felt more like a "tourist trap".

Pros: good corner location, service is ok
Cons : average food, American tourists

• Visited June 2013
Home
“Dont bother- rude staff!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

my friend and i came across this place on our way back to our hotel after a long day sightseeing. We took an outside table and waited to be served. The waitress appeared eventually and we asked for lunch menus. They took some time to arrive. Then my friend ordered a soft drink and I a coffee. The waitress (who had not cracked a smile so far) reappeared to take our order. We advised we hadn't decided however she seemed to take this as a personal affront and stomped off. After such rude service we decided to cut our losses and go elsewhere. When the waitress finally reappeared we said we had changed our minds and asked for the bill she sighed and snatched the menus from us and again took her time to come back. The drinks were more overpriced than anywhere else we have been in Paris. €8 for a glass of orangina. Rude staff and poor service put us off and there are so many better places to go in Paris.

• Visited June 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Charming Neighborhood Bistro”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My first experience with this establishment was in February 2013. It was a short half block from my hotel and the hours of service accommodated my late night adventures. I frequented the place 4 or 5 times within a 9 day period. The food was great and the service was stellar each time I visited. The staff, without exception, were helpful and personable. When I returned in May the manager remembered my name! Again, I was treated like an old friend, they inquired about my various excursions and provided a setting where I could, as a single woman, feel completely comfortable. I ate there at least 7 times, often stopping in for a late night salad or desert and a glass of wine. The owner came to meet me, thanked me for my business and offered me a cognac. It's my favorite Parisian hangout!

• Visited May 2013