“Intriguing”

and up
Paris Museum Pass 2 Days
Ranked #55 of 1,619 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum has nearly 1,000 different instruments on display, complete with audio commentary.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was not too sure what to expect here when my girlfriend (who is a music fanatic) suggested that we visited especially considering music inst a huge passion of my own. However, I left having really enjoyed my experience from start to finish.

In the first instance we were pleasantly surprised at the admission fee which vary depending on your age. It is my understanding that persons Under 28 years go free.

We got set up on the audio guides and I thought it was brilliant how I could listen to the various instruments being played on our headsets. This certainly kept me interested for the duration.

My favourite part of the exhibition was the "World Music Exhibition" which included instruments from Africa, Asia and the Arab World. I spent a lot of time wandering here while my girlfriend (who prefers the more traditional instruments) tried to usher me out the door.

So while it takes a little bit of commitment and dedication to travel here, it is certainly worthwhile and is a morning well spent.

All reviews
"cd"
in 2 reviews
"audioguides"

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We paid this museum a visit because of the great reviews we read here, and we were so glad we did! Its wonderful by all means, the collection of instruments they have is huge and varied and the audio guide is the best audio guide I've ever used; very informative and interesting. The best part was the live music played on the 3rd floor! On the day of our visit, there was a lady playing on the flute and many other wind instruments and she was brilliant! we enjoyed our visit to the maximum!

1  Thank Mariana-jo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This museum is simply wonderful. Very well planned, a huge number of instruments, very modern and spacious layout, audioguide is included in the entry cost (EUR 8 for adults) and includes explanations and recordings of most instruments. Entry cost is part of the Paris Museum Pass. It's a small journey from the CBD - there is bus 75 from Pont Neuf (approx. 40 mins) or the metro. Well worth it. Better than the Oxford UK music museum (Bate collection - which is fantastic in itself) or the London Royal College of Music museum in Kensington.
Definitely worth the trip. Need at least 1.5 hours if not a music buff, and 2.5 hours at least for a music buff.

1  Thank Margaret T
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Even though none of us is a musician, the visit to this museum was a very enjoyable experience, We would never have imagined there were so many instruments we had never heard of. We particularly liked being able to listen to the sound of each and every one of them.

1  Thank RMLCLS
See more reviews
Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you or your family are musicians of any type, then go! Be sure to take the metro to Porte de Pantin (Line 5) and not any other metro or train stops with "Pantin" in them. The locals do not seem to know about this museum. We wandered around the Canal, etc. before finally reaching our destination. We concur with the other positive reviews - the audioguides are tremendous (they sync with numbers you plug in) and allow you listen to 100s of different instruments and informational videos about the development of musical instruments. Fascinating commentary on how music has evolved in line with historical changes. This museum had only a 10 minute line, and there was ample space to see the permanent exhibit. The temporary exhibit (music and movies combined) was also fun and fascinating. Well worth a half day in Paris. Bonus -- you are in arr. 19 and outside of "traditional Paris" for a change.

1  Thank Cynthia R