“The Sacred Heart” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 1,086 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Montmartre landmark, a 19th-century basilica built by the French government following the Franco-Prussian War, features a large medieval dome that provides excellent views of the city.
United Kingdom
1,118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,074 helpful votes
“The Sacred Heart”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sacre-Couer is a Roman Catholic church, the basilica is located at the summit of Montmartre, the highest point in the city. It was designed by Paul Abadie with construction starting in 1875, finishing in 1914. It was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919.

We have visited this church on several occasion by going up the steps, going up he cable car and taking the winding path from rear approach. We have also visited inside the church whilst Mass was being held. Because the church is on such a high point, it also affords glorious views of Paris, another good reason to visit with a good zoom camera.

Its also a landmark which is visible from many other parts of the city, on this occasion it was also visible from out hotel window.

It is definitely a must see in a visit to Paris.

Visited October 2013

83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great view.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We wandered up to Montmartre and Sacre-Coeur around dusk and it was PACKED with people! And I know why; it was such a beautiful place for us to get our first glimpses of Paris. The Basilica itself was spectacular from outside, and quite beautiful inside. The view over Paris was lovely and romantic, and only a short walk to Montmartre. Quite far from other Paris attractions so you will need the metro.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Brooke M
Lubbock, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“A Must-See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Though newer than other churches, it is very impressive. I've been to famous churches in Rome, London, and Paris; but this ties with St. Chapelle as my favorite. I like them both for very different reasons. The view from the dome of Sacre-Coeur is, in my opinion, the best view of Paris. The surrounding neighborhood is charming as well. I had heard of the string guys and was on the lookout for them; but never saw any. I don't remember the route I took; but I did climb 4 flights of stairs, one right after the other. If you're walking up, go early enough to go up at a leisurely pace. It's quite grueling if you have to do it in a hurry.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank baghawaii
Stockholm, Sweden
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Mass in the Basilica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was wandering aimlessly, just enjoying whatever came my way and ended up in front of the Sacred Heart just as people were going in to mass. Catholic as I am I too went in and the mass was lovely, touching and thoughtful.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Maria D
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
658 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 575 helpful votes
“Nice location and view : Building not as impressive as other churches in Paris”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

The location is great, and the views are nice.

For me the church is not as impressive as some of the others in Paris

The view from the dome is nice, but the 8 Euro Charge is a bit steep in my opinion.

If you have the time - Visit .... If you are on a tight schedule then there are better things to see in Paris

Visited November 2013