Hotel de Vendome
  • Fitness center
$472
Elvoline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe ritzsmall luxury hoteldouble deluxe roomrue st honorehigh end shoppingfront desk staffperfect locationdinner reservationsevery eveningliving roomaround the cornerheart of parisright banktwo blockseach morningmacaroonswonderful hotel
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The location is great, as you are right at the Tuileries metro and it takes 10 minutes to the Louvre. It feels safe, and the staff are OK. But for the price you pay for it, breakfast is a bit of a disaster - our food took 40 minutes to arrive each morning and all we ordered was scrambled or boiled eggs. The bread was not fresh, like it was frozen bread. The ham tasted like frozen ham. Room service comes on time, but the food is still not fresh.They do serve tea in the breakfast room, but there is nothing except for some overpriced macaroons. I have a feeling that the 'restaurant' is run by someone other than the Vendome - i.e. it is sub-contracted out. The staff just do not seem to be part of the hotel. Bathroom amenities are also not what I would call 'luxurious' - soaps, slippers, all very run-of-the-mill. The bed and the room however were great - good noise insulation, and good temperature control. Summary: We will not be returning to the Vendome. A wonderful hot breakfast can be expected at such a hotel, and in Europe there are wonderful buffet breakfasts. They need to address the food problem. Do check your bill too. They had inadvertently added breakfast on even though our reservation included breakfast. We stayed at the beautiful Lancaster off the Champs-Elysees before trying the Vendome, and the Lancaster's buffet breakfast really made our day each day, beautifully laid out and delicious, all of it. The restaurant of the Lancaster is a treat.

5  Thank LuxurynCulture
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed there for 10 nights during our December holiday in Paris. Interior decoration was classically Parisien with good comfort and high level of personalized service. WiFi speed was reasonably fast (can even stream HD video) and room was equipped with quality toiletries. Front desk staff greeted us with a warm smile daily in winter Paris which made us feel homely. The Conceirge was very helpful to arrange for our museum passes and pre-paid phone card before our arrival. Unfortunately, there was a slip up by the limo driver failing to pick us up from CDG airport and we took a taxi to the hotel. The Conceirge offered his profuse apologies and he gave us an early check-in at 8 am and delivered a bottle of champagne to our room thereafter. We have booked the same hotel for our trip to Paris in early summer 2013.

2  Thank AlanCHLim
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Spent 8 nights in a perfect location, large room in the middle of the city and quiet -- a place to enjoy Paris - walking distance to Louvre, Orangerie, and Orsay museums as well as the Opera, Madelaine, etc. Also: restaurant Castiglione is across the street, perfect for quick continental breakfast, best pastry shop/tearoom in town is also in the vicinity (Laduree on Rue Royale, and Angelina on Rue Rivoli).

2  Thank Simihir
Reviewed December 14, 2012

So, I'm going to start by saying the hotel is absolutely beautiful, and in a great location. It really is lovely. I also have no major gripes with the hotel, just a collection of small fails that added up to meh, don't stay here again.
I'm not just after a good spot or nice fit out; I actually want my hotel room to work like a hotel room and the staff to get the basics right. So, from the start: I'm a SLH member, and on my read my stay should have entitled us to a free breakfast. I wasn't sure so I asked the staff member. She never got back to me.
Secondly, when we arrived, late-ish in the evening, the lift was broken. So, these things happen, but it stayed broken for three days. No elevator repairpeople in Paris maybe? I normally don't mind taking the stars but after a full day of walking around the city, three flights of stairs was not appealing.
Thirdly, the first day we got back and walked up three flights of stairs, neither of our cards worked to let us into the room. So, back down we go. The apology was perfunctory, but then we get told, 'this only happens when you have your cards near your mobile.' Now, I didn't and my husband's wasn't close in his bag. Tthis was clearly receptionist code for 'it's your fault'. Giving the recptionist the benefit of the doubt, the next day I kept my card next to my phone. Like, strapped to it with a elastic band. Guess what? It worked. What will stop both cards working though is your receptionist coding them wrong in the first place.
Fourth - and this is really the only thing that should stop you staying here - the bath is a bit of a death trap. It's shower over bath, not the safest arrangement but not an uncommon one. However it's also elevated, and it has a screen that covers three-quarters of the bath entry, so you have to step up and you step only the slanting part of the bath. No handles, and the water goes everywhere so it's slippery. I'm youngish and reasonably nimble, so not a problem for me, but it's the sort of bath care workers look at in people's houses and recommend nursing homes, because it's a broken hip waiting to happen.

So overall, pretty but not practical. There's any number of expensive hotels in Paris, and next time I'm trying another one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank crdSydney
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The Hotel de Vendome is the very best. The staff, the cleanliness and best of all, the location. Just 3 or 4 blocks from the Louvre, all the great restaurants, in historical Vendome.
We were there a few times, the first one for our honeymoon four years ago. It is really, super and the suites are worth, every penny.

Room Tip: It pays to get a two room suite. Very french and very, romantic
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple