“Spectacular!”

Palais Garnier - Opera National de Paris
Ranked #3 of 2,255 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This performance hall hosts opera, ballet and chamber music performances.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We saw "La Sylphide" at the Palais Garnier performed by the Paris Opera Ballet. It was simply amazing. As a former dancer, I have been to many ballets in my life and this was one I will never forget. The Palais Garnier was incredible. The ornate and lavish details are a must see. We didn't take "a tour" of the Palais Garnier this time, but most definitely will next time. We only walked around after the performance and I could have spent much more time to take it all in. If you are coming to Paris - this is a must see!

1  Thank Kelly019
Write a ReviewReviews (17,360)
All reviews
in 278 reviews
"tickets"
in 590 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was on my list because (a) the Cars Rouges stops right outside, (b) I thought it might be something to do while my lovely wife shopped (Lafayette is over the road) ans (c) I thought that seeing some sumptious decor here might push Versailles back down the list of things to do.

We were blown away, we soon developed our own interests, and agreed to meet in the shop at the exit or the restaurant outside. The elegance, extravagance, beauty etc is something to behold. It doesn't take much imagination to get how it must have been a place to see and be seen. Getting into the private gallery boxes just puts you "there".

To our surprise we spent much longer there than we thought we would. A must for ballet and opera buffs, but also plebes like us. Explore every nook and cranny! Get a guided tour.

We bought a pair of ballet shoes for the granddaughter. They are too small.

Lafayette was worth a visit just to see the atrium dome, but even my lovely wife found the shop too oppressive- in more ways than one. To my great joy.

Exploring our bags while waiting for the bus, we got the "Is this your gold ring?" scam three times in 5-10 minutes.

2  Thank Merv J
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything from both the exterior and the interior is breathtakingly beautiful. A must see when visiting Paris!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The most amazing building I have ever seen inside, even the glass gallery of Versailles does not compare with the gallery of the Palais Garnier - gold, gold, gold and decorations over the top but worth the visit

3  Thank georgedegraag