“Excellent Singing and Acoustics”

Opera Bastille - Opera National de Paris
and up
Paris Day Trip from London Including Visit to Versailles
Ranked #87 of 1,254 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This sleek auditorium, opened in 1989, is the site of ballet and opera performances.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Having been to the Opera Garnier two days previously we visited the diametrically opposite building experience of The Bastille. We had good seats at the front of Gallery One but whilst adequate the legroom was not particularly good for a recently built Opera House. The stalls and stage seem a long way below and in front and it takes time to tune into the lack of intimacy. The production of Werther we saw suffered from this lack in the first two acts but strangely when the final act arrived and it was staged in a very small central set the magic was there. Having said that, the music was excellent and the soloists all on form. Returning to the Opera House itself it is easy to reach as it is directly next to the Metro station. The Sunday afternoon performance we attended could have benefitted from additional front of house staff as there were many people having difficulty finding there seats. On arrival and on presenting our tickets we were directed to the wrong level on two occasions and this needs to be addressed.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I was privileged enough to watch La Belle au Bois Dormant at the Opéra Bastille this winter season. A classic ballet that was beautifully choreographed with stunning glittery costumes. I swear my eyes welled up when the orchestra started to play Tchaikovsky's Op. 66 Waltz. -- SO GOOD. OMG.

Aside from the ballet, here are some things you should know about the opera house:

1) While it's certainly not as historic or opulent as the Palais Garnier, the Opéra Bastille has its own place in the Opéra National de Paris. With its huge gridded glass exterior, it looked and felt modern and distinguished.

2) BE ON TIME! The staff are super strict. I came back a few minutes late after intermission (I needed a crepe from a street vendor outside), and they made me wait for a pause in the show and take off my coat before entering back into the auditorium so I wouldn't disturb others. It mostly comes off as them having a stick up their butt, but I appreciate it as they really have a handle on crowd control and ensuring that the other members of the audience enjoy the show.

3) There were more food options than I would have expected, and surprisingly they were not horribly price-gauged! Maybe I didn't even need that street crepe after all... (just kidding. yes I did.)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This structure got my attention from a distant. I had to see this building and i must say it was worth the walk to.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

While it is now the home to the opera in Paris, it feels like it has lost the charm that an opera house in Paris should have. Too big and at a massive round about it is not really a photo opportunity in Paris. visit only if you are going to a show, but then have deep pockets.

1  Thank HiddenCaviar
Reviewed December 31, 2013

People always admire extreme beauty of palais garnier and its brilliant performances. True. However, you can simply enjoy a great evening while attending an opera, orchestra or ballet show in opera bastille. The ticket prices are moderate and usually affordable, the seats have good views to the main stage(they are a little bit uncomfortable though) and during the show you are completely surrounded by the sound around you. Staffs are very helpful and kind and they speak English very well. I am completely satisfied with my experience visiting this place and recommend it to others.