“Overall, a very enjoyable experience!”

Opera Bastille - Opera National de Paris
Book In Advance
More Info
$453.06*
and up
Paris Day Trip from London Including Visit to...
Ranked #103 of 1,326 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This sleek auditorium, opened in 1989, is the site of ballet and opera performances.
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I'm very fortunate to have seen 2 productions at this venue and both times it has scored highly in my opinion. The venue itself is simple and I do like that as it doesn't distract from the actual performance (at the Bolshoy I couldn't stop looking around the place - even while Swan Lake was on!) I love the fact that you can check in your coat so that you don't need to mess around with it once seated and I also think that, for Paris, the staff are friendly and helpful. We went to see Don Quichotte and it was a very good performance (I have to say that from a dancer's point of view, the girls were better than the boys!). It was a colourful and magical tale which seemed to be over in a flash (which is always a sign of a good show....I hate it when I have to start looking at my watch with 30 mins left to go.....) Perfect for a family evening out at Christmas and you must top it off with a lovely glass of chilled champagne!

2  Thank Polkaprincess_76
in 15 reviews
"interval"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Eventhough website says it has wheelchair access and I called ahead of time wanting a seat where Dad could stay in wheelchair, this facility isn't set up for this. We went to Romeo and Juliet ballet in May (awful ballet at this location) and we had to get permission from others behind him for him to take his space since their vision would be blocked. And I had to sit somewhere else eventhough we had seat numbers next to each other.

1  Thank KatrinaVanTassel
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had purchased tickets through AMEX recently for Carmen and ended up with great seats. When we arrived, it was somewhat challenging finding the seats and the ushers were not as well versed in speaking English as the folks distributing tickets at the outside office. After finally finding our location, to our dismay, someone else was sitting in our seats! The usher spoke to them in French but they were not asked show their tickets to demonstrate proof of purchase. Fortunately, there were two front row seats and the usher offered those to us. Most of the arias took place directly in front of us and it made for an unforgettable Carmen performance (even if the critics panned the director's efforts). The orchestra was great, the stage broad and the diorama compelling. The acoustics were good as well but then again we were ring above he orchestra pit. The building interior is rather modern and stark. One small negative, the seating layout is not well designed for timely egress. We stood in line about 15-20 minutes to exit. To most efficiently exit, use the center aisle, not the sides.

2  Thank mingfatsai
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Went to the Sunday afternoon performance of the marriage of figaro. Should have researched the story more beforehand as it was sung in Italian, and had French subtitles, and I don't speak either language to any real degree. However the atmosphere and the music was fabulous and a great experience.