Tripadvisor
Paris
Post
Inbox
Search

“OK but no "foreign" cards expected ”
Review of Le Chateaubriand

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: 8th Arr. - Elysee
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I used to work regularly in Paris and have come here few times a year for last seven years or so and have noticed a decline in quality.

Last visit was January 2020. Its just off the champs elysee and I still love its more traditional feel compared to the very touristy restaurants on the main areas.

We were there on a Tuesday night and just a few people there. Food was served quickly, was hot and was OK but I don't think as good as previous years. Similarly although the same man front of house the service has gone down too

To top it off they don't accept foreign cards so had to go and pay cash. They claim ts well signed but it's an A4 sized chalk board behind the bar you don't see when entering a restaurant. There must be a reason why but we had a loaded euro debit card, a HSBC debit card, a HSBC mastercard but none of which were seen as being a French Credit card. A shame as I won't go back now for that reason alone and neither will others no doubt in today's cashless world.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (227)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate here on our first evening in Paris and liked it so much that we also made it our last evening in Paris. We had a seven-year-old and a ten-year-old with us, and they loved the escargots, which was the most tender version we've ever eaten, and so flavorful. The duck confit was wonderful. We ate in a number of other cafes which were larger and fancier and maybe catered more to tourists, but this was by far our favorite.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed August 5, 2019

wandering down one of the sidestreets to Champs Elysees, close to Lido, we stumbled across this place.
Very nice little place, I think the owner attended, there was attention to detail. Food was delicious, seating was ok and it was quick and friendly.
A good recommendation instead of the crowded and expensive options on the sidewalk.
We have 4 small children, and that wasnt a problem, on the contrary, they enjoyed their visit and were given a lot of attention too. ;)

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 4, 2019

Having a long weekend in Paris and staying near the Arc De Triomphe, we wanted to sample a typical French restaurant rather than the tourist places along the Champs Elysees. On a side street we regrettably discovered this small restaurant that appeared to fit the bill. Even having to walk to the ATM for cash suggested it wasn't just for tourists. The barman was also the waiter and friendly enough when we were seated. The menu was a bit disappointing and very limited. We had wanted some fresh fish or chicken / lamb perhaps in a nice sauce. There wasn't even a good steak on the menu just the Butcher's cut, which in desperation I ordered and didn't enjoy. My wife went for the fish dish of the day, which turned out to be a horrible fish salad and fish terrine. Around us we could see other diners weren't very happy with the food being delivered. I used to say you can't eat a bad meal in France but it isn't true. The meal was truly horrible! Avoid this place!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 11, 2019

I ordered an omelette and the eggs were very runny and undercooked. I asked: Excuse, can you cook the eggs more? And the waiter got very upset and said: They are supposed to be like that. We've never had any problems with the eggs before. It's normal this way. He implied that I was stupid and didn't know what an omelette was. I simply asked him to cook the eggs through, nothing more, nothing less. He was slamming things down and making a big scene. If I hadn't been in a small group, I would have left. It was humiliating.
The food itself was bland and overpriced. The French onion soup was almost inedible.
Do not go here. The service and the food is terrible.

Date of visit: May 2019