“Very Hospitable - a home away from home”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur
Ranked #1,253 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I recently just returned from my first trip to Paris and planned to only stay 2 nights at most at this hotel. However, since getting to know the wonderful family who runs the hotel (Maggie, Dominique, etc.), I decided to stay a total of 5 nights with side trips to other parts of France in my total stay of 2 weeks. The rooms were decorated so beautifully in old-style Parisian decor and the hotel is only 2 blocks away from the famous Sacre Cour cathedral. The area is quiet and clean and there are numerous restaurants and shopping nearby. The metro is a short walk as well. The family´s hospitality was tremendous, and I found myself looking forward to the hot chocolate and croissants outside my door every morning. Maggie was especially helpful with planning the side trips and you immediately sense her pride in this truly beautiful city.

Montemarte, the area where the hotel is located has a very bohemian feel to it (Picasso, Hemingway and Renoir all lived here at one point). I believe one of them said of the flowered wall paper typical of Parisian rooms "... either the wall paper goes or I go.." right before he died.. At the risk of sounding morbid, I mention it because the rooms definitely reflect this decor motif, adding to the whole experience of Montemarte.

I definitely recommend this hotel if you ever have an opportunity to explore Paris. Oh, and I might as well also recommend Hemingway´s "A Moveable Feast" as he wrote this in Cuba, about his time in Paris. Safe travels!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ElizaNY
There are newer reviews for Ermitage Hotel Sacre-Coeur

Reviewed October 17, 2006

This was our first time to Paris and my husband and I were on a budget. Sophie and Maggie were very accomodating and were as friendly as ever. Our room was immaculate every time we returned. The clean staff folded our clothes and put them in the closet. No maid in the US would ever do that!
The Montmartre neighborhood is just wonderful! And the value was fine. I was warned that hotels in France are not what Americans are used to, so I was prepared for anything.
The location of the Ermitage is tricky though and although we enjoyed our stay we probably won't return. I will book much farther in advance and get an even better location.
When returning from long days of walking around Paris (which you walk about 5 miles a day), Montmartre is in a very hilly neighborhood and the walk from the Metro to the Ermitage is approximately a 5 block walk uphill. I am in very good shape and don't mind, but this would be bad for someone not in shape. Also Montmartre is loaded in stairs. Don't stay in this neighborhood if you have trouble with them.
The Metro is a very easy way to travel around Paris. It is almost identical to the New York City subway system and maps are posted everywhere. It is also a good way to get around on a budget only costing about 2 Euro a day.
The bed we had at the Ermitage was not the most comfortable either, and the pillows are not standard pillows. Now to get to the funky part.....the bathroom. If you are taller then 5'10" and are larger then 140lbs then look for another hotel. The bathroom we had was teeny weeny. My huband who is slender and 6' tall had quite a challenge. When on the toilet your knees come out the front door. If you want to shut the door then you have to sit sideways. Then there is the bathtub that is not meant to stand in. You can practically kill yourself in it. It does not have a level floor. It is meant to sit in it with your knees up in front of you. Needless to say, it was very very uncomfortable.
Also, in regards to the breakfast, it consists of only, coffee, tea, or hot chocolate and a small baguette with jelly & butter and a croissant. Not exactly a breakfast to get through a busy morning on. There are, however, creperies in the square on the other side of the Sacre Coeur.
Wear very comfortable walking shoes, otherwise you'll regret it!
However, We were in Paris none the less, and who could complain about that!!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank Winddancer1
A TripAdvisor Member
Frankenmuth, Michigan
Reviewed July 13, 2006

This charming hotel, was more than accomodating to my family as we traveled through Paris enroute to Dijon this past June. While the hotel doesn't boast many of the amenities that many Americans are used to, the Canipel family made those differences seem insignificant with their warmth and attentiveness.

As we were traveling with our four year old son, they gave us great advice on traveling from the airport and train stations, as well as navigating the metro system. It was a joy.

While the hotel is removed from central Paris, the view from Mont Martre is spectacular and well worth the metro ride. Waking up to hear the bells of Sacre Couer is a memorable experience.

We look forward to returning in the future, and highly reccomend it to anyone who is looking to truly experience European warmth and charm.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2006

I noted this hotel and others from the feedback off this site. So, I chose to stay here based on reviews.
Please take the negative reviews with a grain of salt, having stayed here,personally, I find them laughable.
My wife and I stayed at the Ermitage in early July 05'
It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience from start to finish. We ended up getting a small studio on the second floor in the adjoining building, and it was perfect.The Ermitage is a couple of streets below Sacre Coeur,and, after a day of touring the city, we came back to our studio to rest, recharge, and went up to Sacre Coeure at 9:30 p.m., it was surprisingly quite light out, as July has some long days at this Latitude. The Monte Marte area is unique and contains some of the neatest homes, old cobblestone roadways, Art Museums etc. This establishment is just a short walk from the artists in the square behind Sacre Coeur.
Can't say enough about the variety of boulangeries,& pattiseries(deli's and pastry shops), you can shop for your breakfast, lunch,or dinner on a daily basis. It's a great way to vacation. Tons of restaurants, cafes, all within easy walk, or the subway. ATM is a short walk down the street, Hotel takes CASH - NO Credit Cards. Hotel owner is as friendly and genuine as they come. Excellent Value, well run, clean.

• Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank intrepidFlorida
Reviewed March 23, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed at this wonderful little hotel. We had a lovely two bedroom apartment. The view of "the city of lights" from our bedroom was an extra bonus. It was spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated. Sophie and her staff were very friendly and helpful. It was just a short walk to the Sacre Coeur de Montmartre. Be aware that this area has a lot of steps to climb to reach the top, but there is the funiculaire (like a cable car) and also a tourist trolley for those whose have trouble with stairs. The view is well worth seeing. Go for the sunset and wait for the lights of Paris to dazzle you.

• Stayed: March 2005
17  Thank MamaBean80
Reviewed February 27, 2005

Stayed here over a month while attending Culinary School. We loved it. Maggie was wonderful and made us feel like "family." Yes, it's off the beaten path but it is clean, nice and from the patio you can see all of paris. I have stayed at some pretty posh hotels in Paris, but Love ermitage.

• Stayed: May 1999, traveled on business
9  Thank Giovanna A
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed November 21, 2004

Since 1985 I have stayed with the Canipels at their beautiful Ermitage hotel when visiting Paris, and all I can say is my experiences have been really wonderful! My sister even spent her honeymoon there; another sister and a brother has also stayed there with their spouses; everyone loved it! You simply can't beat it for the money! The ambiance of all the different rooms; the signature French breakfast brought to your door each morning; the views - and the close proximity to Sacre Coeur - all make the Ermitage the best kept secret in Paris! All guests were even given a free bottle of champagne for New Year's during the Millennium! Anyone who doesn't love this hotel should skip Paris altogether and just visit another city!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member