“A lovely hotel in central Paris”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #450 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Du Louvre for one night in January, we arrived early (about 11am) hoping to drop our bags off and they were able to check us in straight away and upgrade our room. Although small the rooms are nicely furnished and very comfortable with lots of nice little extras such as toiletries and robes. The staff were all friendly and very helpful and the hotel is in a brilliant location for exploring all the main sites and on a metro line (although you couldn't access line 1 currently but the nearest stop you could was only 5 minutes away).

All in all we would recommend this hotel with is character, splendor and charm!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience at the Hotel du Louvre and hope to welcome you once again in a near future !
Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Louvre

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Very helpful, friendly and attentive staff and concierge. Fantastic location. Internet wifi works with no problems. But that's where the positive comments stop. Outrageous food and beverage prices (soft drink is $15). Ridiculously small room. Spent over 180,000 American Express travel points for a room so small that two people could not pass each other at the end of the bed. Bathroom was tiny. Room was unbelievably small and cramped and poorly appointed. Furniture was old. Mattress cover had plastic sections or labels that fell right in the middle of the mattress. I carefully read reviews for this hotel before I booked it, and there was only one comment echoing what I eventually found to be the truth, so i wrote that review comment off as a crazed tourist unjustly unhappy and booked the Hotel du Louvre anyway. That was a huge mistake leading to very disappointing accommodations. I will not book this hotel again under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Find out what size room you are getting before you commit to booking a room at Hotel du Louvre. Don...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Steve H

Thank you for your review.
We are deeply sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. As an historical hotel, we have several types of rooms, each one with its unique style and décor.
Please, be sure that we would be happy to welcome you again to provide you a better experience.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for New Years and lets get one thing striaght Great Location, Great Location and Great Location. Very friendly and tentative stuff and concierge helped in every request we had, from booking a very nice Sein cruise for the New Years Eve to restaurant reservation and private tours of the city. All the above are the good things of the establishment, know let's see what brings down its "grades", Acquiring a hotel does not make it A HYATT hotel, the place needs major renovation from top to bottom, in order to become A HYATT hotel. We stayed in a Loft (something between a junior suite and a suite) the Loft was big and high ceiling but furniture windows etc were "screaming" old and not recently maintained. There is no spa and no fitness center, and fitness center is not a treadmill a bicycle and a rowing machine. Breakfast was mediocre or suffecient yo might say. In general management and stuff are doing their best but the infrastructure needs major update in order to become a five star hotel and maybe much more to become a HYATT .

Room Tip: If you can choose a room upper floors and not the rooms looking the court yard in the back since you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your review.
Please accept our most sincere apologizes for not having met your expectations. You comments will be shared with the heads of service and actions will be taken where appropriate, especially in the housekeeping departement.
We would be happy to provide you a better stay in the future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is written by someone who has always dreamt of visiting the Louvre so my experience in Paris from beginning to end was magical. For those reviewers who criticized this beautiful hotel, however tarnished by her age, I can't help but feel sad for you. No, this is not a perfect, shiny, modern, cold, hotel that you can find almost anywhere you go. Instead this is charming and for those of us that don't want everything to be fast, plastic, and unmemorable it is just right and I for one hope they don't remodel it beyond recognition.

What this hotel is, is a memory for me that I will never forget. From the staff that made my birthday special with a surprise bottle of wine in my room, to the noise of the early morning stir of the street. The statues, the balustrade, winding stairs, coats and coats of paint accumulated oner 150+ years, and so much more.

I think this is the shortest walk possible to the Louvre, another short walk to Notre Dame, cross the Seine and take a river cruise, or go a couple of blocks and catch a tour bus of the castles in the Loire valley.

I urge everyone to go there now! Before they take away all the character and make it like every forgettable hotel. Make your own memories. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Beverly C
Fanny G, General Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your experience at the Hotel du Louvre. We are delighted to read that you had a memorable time among us! Please, be sure that we are very proud of our rich history, and the renovations will not erase it. We will ensure to enhance our guests experiences while preserving the hotel's atmosphere.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here using our Hyatt points this last summer. It was our anniversary. The staff was very exceptional. They basically came up with our itinerary for our 3 day Paris trip. They recommended great restaurants for every night, my wife and I were celebrating our anniversary so they ensured we went to very romantic locations. We were able to purchase tickets to the Louvre from the concierge so we didn't have to wait in line at the Louvre. Their guidance was very helpful in all touristy aspects of Paris. The hotel itself is small and old. However our room was very modern, great view of of the Louvre, comfortable king bed and a modern bathroom. I felt with using points we got great value with no dilution of service. This hotel is right on the subway line and is in a central location. For a Hyatt location, I would have loved to stay at the Park Hyatt Paris, but they were sold out. This was a really good second option and they definitely made our stay very enjoyable. We stayed during the Paris Music Festival which made Paris even more fun!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank auzperez

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. We are delighted to see that our mission of excellence was carried out in every aspect trough your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel du Louvre, a Hyatt Hotel.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

After paying quite an amount of money, we expected a more grandiose Hotel, however, you can tell this is an old Hotel. There are showers in the rooms, there is only one tv about 19" to 21" in size.
The concierge was great to us, with one down on count for a restaurant suggestion, Eric and Cedric were phenomenal and always very eager to help.
The room service personnel was excellent, even with the language barrier…Thanks!
The hotel is close to everything imaginable, if you are the walking kind like we are. There is almost no need for a taxi. I like walking the cities I go to and find it the best way to know them and yes, sometimes you need to take a tour, as you cannot know everything. The Hotel lights up at night in a reddish purplish color and it looks fantastic. Our room gave the Louvre museum view and enjoyed people watching, while taking a break to go out again. The are no balcony spaces to seat outside to enjoy the view comfortably, you have to make shift like I did to seat and enjoy a glass or two of wine and to enjoy somewhat the available view.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the front of the Hotel, it may give a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M G

Thank you most sincerely for your very gracious and generous compliments following your recent stay with us at the Hôtel du Louvre.
Concerning the rooms, we would like you to know that most of them are unique and benefit from individual touches and exceptional views.
Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupations. I thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.
We do hope to be able to welcome you again in the very near future and all remain at your disposal.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Pros--The staff were very nice and the location is conveniently located next to the Louvre Museum. There's a taxi stand nearby and a metro stop. Those are the only positives for which I gave 2-stars.

Cons--I wish I had not purchased the room rate with breakfast included. The breakfast buffet (30 euros per person) was awful: canned fruit and watered down coffee. The interior hallways needed updating. We had 2 rooms (one room with twin beds for teenagers and one room with a king bed for parents). Both rooms had cheap carpet and damaged furniture. Our bathroom needed renovating. The hot water was inconsistent and we could never get it hot enough. The hot water pipe made a loud noise when it was turned on. There is only one chair and no dresser.

The teenagers' room was too hot and they had to open the window, but it was raining! The HVAC did not work well.

Although the bedroom has soundproof windows, the bathroom did not have these windows. So the traffic noise came through the bathroom into our bedroom unless we closed the bathroom door.

This is NOT a 5-star hotel. This is not even close to the Four Seasons George V or the Le Meurice. The Hotel du Louvre rooms were very small (we had no room to unpack our luggage) and the rooms were in desperate need of renovation. (We paid almost $500 per night per room). The common areas needed renovating. The room rate and restaurant/bar food was poor quality and very expensive, so don't waste your money. I'd never stay here again and this is my fourth visit to Paris so I've stayed at better hotels during my prior visits to this beautiful city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank travelerfromCA,usa

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a comment about your stay at the Hotel du Louvre.
Please do accept our most sincere apologies for not having met your expectations.
I will definitely share your remarks with the Heads of Department concerned and appropriate actions will be taken, in order to avoid such issues in the future, especially in regards to your comments regarding the room.
I do remain at your disposal and hope to welcome you again in Paris.
Yours sincerely,