“Good hotel but not quite the 5-star treatment and flawless service we were expecting.”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #403 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Positives
- You can't beat the location, right in the centre of Paris close to pretty much everything and located 2 steps away from a tube station on the most interesting tube line you can think of for a tourist.

- Good comfortable room with quality linen

- Breakfast is of good quality with nice breads and sufficient choice for pretty much any taste. It's about 30 Euros per person so make sure it is included in your room price.

- Nice and friendly staff

Negatives

- The air conditionning wasn't working in the room. The dial on the wall does absolutely nothing. So you are left with having to open the windows which, on rue de Rivoli, means that you have a very noisy night indeed. Not fit for a 5-star hotel.

- No tea/coffeee making facilities in the room. I would have thought this would be standard in all hotels by now.

- Don't expect your to room to have been done before 3pm mid-stay. They presumably prioritise the arrivals as one would expect but again in most hotels your room is done by 2pm. That means that if you are coming back mid afternoon your room won't be ready for your little mid afternoon nap.

- Service at breakfast is awful. The waiters forget half of what they are supposed to serve you (e.g. orange juice offered on day 1 but forgotten on day 2), the first thing they give you when you arrive is the bill (nice!!) - that wakes you up for sure, and if you get up mid-breakast to have another look at the buffet, they will have cleared your plates before you get back to your seat.

- The breakfast staff don't seem to know what normal tea is. If you just ask for tea, you will get jasmine tea (presumably because most of the punters in the hotel seem to be Chinese or Japanese). If you ask for 'English' tea, you will only get Darjeeling if yoou beg for long enough.

- Coffee is rationed. You will get asked once and then you will have to fetch someone and beg for a second cup. The hotel should do what most other hotels do ie install 2 or 3 coffee machines from which clients can help themselves.Believe me, it would be of better quality than having those clowns serving you.

As it happened we didn't have to pay for the hotel in cash because we booked it through Avios (formerly AirMiles). But if I had had to pay I would have chosen Novotel over this one because the prices are cheaper and overall you get a better service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OYP-London
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review following your stay at the Hotel du Louvre.
Please do accept our most sincere apologies for not having meet your expectations.
I shared your remarks with the team and appropriate actions will be taken, in order to avoid such issues in the future, especially in regards to your comments concerning the breakfast
Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupations. I thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.
Yours sincerely
Pierre Fauret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is very well located.....it fully abuses it location when price is a consideration. We had two rooms....new pain, new curtains an comfortable beds - the hotel obviously did a renovation recently, but it feels cheap. Small details are missing.....

I can not recommend this place, save for its location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarkTluszcz
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time to leave a review following your stay with us.
We are sorry to read that you didn't feel the soul of the Hotel du Louvre. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back in order to provide you a better experience.
Halmstad
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in march, booked one of the bigger rooms thru Agoda. Location is just about perfect as The Louvre Mueseum is just outside the door and the Metro is very Close aswell. Paris is a wonderful city, but its getting ridicilous expensive. Didnt eat breakfast at the hotel as they charge around 25 euro for that and there is a great Bistro for breakfast 100 mm from the hotel. that serves Croissant, coffee and an omelette for 9 euro. The room was ok, not more then that. Bathroom was tiny and had a bathtub that was just a Little bit bigger then the Zink :). Would I stay here again, probably not.

Room Tip: Try to get a room thats NOT facing the street, or you be listening to Police ars all night long.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank FredrikHalmstad
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment.
First of all, we are very happy that you appreciated the fabulous location of our hotel.
On the other hand, we are sorry of your concerns regarding the breakfast and the bathroom. Be assured that I have shared your comments with the team, they are always very useful for us.
With my best regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I arrived for a 5 night stay at 9am and the staff held our bags while we went exploring. Immediately, I could tell we'd have plenty to do right near the hotel. The Louvre is literally right next door and the Seine just a few blocks away. When we got our room, I was a bit disappointed by the view (which was nonexistent) but the courtyard was very quiet and since I am a light sleeper, that was fine with me. I have found in a busy city, we do not spend time in our room, looking out the window anyway!

The staff was very gracious and helpful upon our arrival. We asked the concierge for advice about where to eat dinner the first night and he recommended a great little place a short walk from the hotel. We had an excellent meal and were excited to start exploring more the next day after we caught up on sleep (we had taken the red-eye from America).

One of the first things I noticed about the room was how hot it was. When we asked if we could regulate the temperature the answer was no, it was not possible. This was early April and it was unusually cold outside, so they still had the heat on. We could not even turn it off. We usually keep our home at 66F. at night and this had to be close to 78-80 degrees F. The only thing we could do the next 5 nights of our stay was to open the window. Fortunately it was cold outside during our visit and the cool air coming in at night made it bearable. I am not a big complainer, but the heat was way too hot! Another couple we met at breakfast said they had to ask the management for a portable fan and they even left their door cracked at night. I must say I was not excited to leave our windows open since there were no screens and I was afraid a bird would fly in! Lucky for us that did not happen over the course of 5 nights.

I loved everything else about the hotel though. The breakfast buffet was well supplied. I do not eat wheat and was able to find eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, cucumbers, tomatoes and cheese. For those that do eat wheat there was an endless variety of pastries, cereal, breads, and so forth.

There seemed to be a very friendly staff who welcomed us enthusiastically each morning to breakfast. I loved that the breakfast buffet is included in the room price. You can eat as much as you like. I wish hotels in America would do this because breakfast can be quite expensive when you have to order from a menu. We also struck up conversations with the people who sat next to us since the tables are rather close together. While I ordinarily like more privacy, this was sort of fun meeting people from all over and listening to their trip plans.

We loved having double sinks in the bathroom, which was well appointed. Our room was decorated tastefully, although I had heard that you could request a recently renovated room. I thought our bathroom was modern. It made us uneasy thought that it is impossible to take a shower without getting water on the floor! The beds are on the firmer side than I am used to, but I found my hip did not hurt when I woke up as it does at home! We loved just walking out the door and being able to get places in any direction. So much to see and do right nearby!

The concierge helped us several times with phone calls and maps. We really appreciated their help, especially in the beginning of our stay when we were confused about where we were. I thought the staff was helpful and friendly. Despite my displeasure with the room being way too hot,(and this was true to four subsequent hotels in Europe we visited right afterwards, so it seems par for the course) I would definitely return to this hotel if we return to Paris in the future. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: I have heard you can ask for a recently renovated room. If you like quiet like I do, the rooms on t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donna224488
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
I will be more than happy to share your nice comments to our concierge team.
Rest assured that we are trying to provide the best service and attention to our clients.
We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon !
Best regards,
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I loved this hotel. Convenient location, nice rooms, excellent service. But in my opinion we overpaid for what we got. Being right next to the Louvre means there will be mass inflation, especially in hotels, and that is what we experienced. If you have money to burn I would recommend it, but I'm sure there are equally nice hotels a few subway stops away for a better price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Summer S
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank your very much for taking the time to share your impressions further to your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed Paris and our hotel.
Nevertheless, I took good note about your comments. I thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, they will help us to improve our quality to the level you would expect from our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming your back in a near future.
Best regards,
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Erick, the concierge, was very helpful, professional, and efficient in making the arrangements for our travel needs. He ensured that we were picked up by the limo service at the airport, he suggested that we go to the Louvre Museum, while waiting for the hotel room. He got us tickets (without waiting in line). He took care of our train tickets from Paris to Lourdes and back.

He patiently, professionally attended to our questions relating to the Metro Trains (especially, since there was a marathon and there were no taxi nor tour groups running) and even calculations on how long it will take us to walk or what direction to take to get to our destination.

He even made arrangements to get us the musical tickets for "Sister Act" and the Versailles Tour Group (enjoyable).

On our last two days, we were upgraded by the front desk to a "Suite Room" because the standard rooms were no longer available. Our rooms were always clean. It has a veranda overlooking the Louvre Museum, with the two oversized French Doors!

We were assured by the concierge, that we were in the safest district. It enabled us to feel comfortable walking at midnight to the deli or restaurants within 2 mile distance. We took the taxi at midnight to do more sightseeing at the Eiffell.

Thank you, we hope Hyatt will take care of the staff currently working at Hotel du Louvre. They provided us with excellent customer service, from Day 1 through 7th.

A limo van was also commissioned to bring us back to the airport. Over-all, our stay at hotel made our first trip to France memorable!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
pfauret, E-commerce manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a comment following your stay in Paris.

Be sure that I will tell Eric about your kind words. I am sure that it will make his day !

We would be happy to welcome you back for your 2nd trip to France !

Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wife and I stayed for 8 days and were thrilled with the location, and the helpfulness of the staff. But we thought we were going to enjoy a true 5-star property. We didn't. Hyatt took over operation of the property in the middle of our stay, but we can't blame that for the problems we experienced. First- housekeeping... hard to understand how the staff thought it was OK to leave dirty glasses in our room. After drinking the free wine provided (a nice touch), the next day, after housekeeping cleaned, the dirty glasses were left on our desk, one still was still 1/4 filled with leftover wine. A couple of times, no soap was left. Another time... ready for this?... no toilet paper in the room... none. Housekeeping wasn't even a 1-star rating.
Now a word about comfort and sleep quality. Poor. The air conditioning didn't work for the first 3 nights of our stay. That made it impossible to sleep. Aside from the hot room, we had to keep the window open for some air, and the city noise doesn't help one sleep. We complained a couple of times. Were given a fan for the room. However, on the 4th night (after Hyatt had taken over) the air conditioning started working. Hmmmm?
Because of its location and the quality of its staff (except housekeeping), this was a good Paris experience. You should all hope that Hyatt does everything it can to get this hotel to a true 5-star level property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

Please accept our most sincere apologizes for not having met your expectations. You comments will be shared with the heads of service and actions will be taken where appropriate, especially in the housekeeping departement.

We would be happy to provide you a better stay in the future.