“Great Location For Walking Everywhere”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #456 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I arrived for a 5 night stay at 9am and the staff held our bags while we went exploring. Immediately, I could tell we'd have plenty to do right near the hotel. The Louvre is literally right next door and the Seine just a few blocks away. When we got our room, I was a bit disappointed by the view (which was nonexistent) but the courtyard was very quiet and since I am a light sleeper, that was fine with me. I have found in a busy city, we do not spend time in our room, looking out the window anyway!

The staff was very gracious and helpful upon our arrival. We asked the concierge for advice about where to eat dinner the first night and he recommended a great little place a short walk from the hotel. We had an excellent meal and were excited to start exploring more the next day after we caught up on sleep (we had taken the red-eye from America).

One of the first things I noticed about the room was how hot it was. When we asked if we could regulate the temperature the answer was no, it was not possible. This was early April and it was unusually cold outside, so they still had the heat on. We could not even turn it off. We usually keep our home at 66F. at night and this had to be close to 78-80 degrees F. The only thing we could do the next 5 nights of our stay was to open the window. Fortunately it was cold outside during our visit and the cool air coming in at night made it bearable. I am not a big complainer, but the heat was way too hot! Another couple we met at breakfast said they had to ask the management for a portable fan and they even left their door cracked at night. I must say I was not excited to leave our windows open since there were no screens and I was afraid a bird would fly in! Lucky for us that did not happen over the course of 5 nights.

I loved everything else about the hotel though. The breakfast buffet was well supplied. I do not eat wheat and was able to find eggs, bacon, smoked salmon, cucumbers, tomatoes and cheese. For those that do eat wheat there was an endless variety of pastries, cereal, breads, and so forth.

There seemed to be a very friendly staff who welcomed us enthusiastically each morning to breakfast. I loved that the breakfast buffet is included in the room price. You can eat as much as you like. I wish hotels in America would do this because breakfast can be quite expensive when you have to order from a menu. We also struck up conversations with the people who sat next to us since the tables are rather close together. While I ordinarily like more privacy, this was sort of fun meeting people from all over and listening to their trip plans.

We loved having double sinks in the bathroom, which was well appointed. Our room was decorated tastefully, although I had heard that you could request a recently renovated room. I thought our bathroom was modern. It made us uneasy thought that it is impossible to take a shower without getting water on the floor! The beds are on the firmer side than I am used to, but I found my hip did not hurt when I woke up as it does at home! We loved just walking out the door and being able to get places in any direction. So much to see and do right nearby!

The concierge helped us several times with phone calls and maps. We really appreciated their help, especially in the beginning of our stay when we were confused about where we were. I thought the staff was helpful and friendly. Despite my displeasure with the room being way too hot,(and this was true to four subsequent hotels in Europe we visited right afterwards, so it seems par for the course) I would definitely return to this hotel if we return to Paris in the future. We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: I have heard you can ask for a recently renovated room. If you like quiet like I do, the rooms on t...
3  Thank Donna224488
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you very much for your review.
I will be more than happy to share your nice comments to our concierge team.
Rest assured that we are trying to provide the best service and attention to our clients.
We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon !
Best regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I loved this hotel. Convenient location, nice rooms, excellent service. But in my opinion we overpaid for what we got. Being right next to the Louvre means there will be mass inflation, especially in hotels, and that is what we experienced. If you have money to burn I would recommend it, but I'm sure there are equally nice hotels a few subway stops away for a better price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Summer S
pfauret, Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank your very much for taking the time to share your impressions further to your stay with us.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed Paris and our hotel.
Nevertheless, I took good note about your comments. I thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, they will help us to improve our quality to the level you would expect from our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming your back in a near future.
Best regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Erick, the concierge, was very helpful, professional, and efficient in making the arrangements for our travel needs. He ensured that we were picked up by the limo service at the airport, he suggested that we go to the Louvre Museum, while waiting for the hotel room. He got us tickets (without waiting in line). He took care of our train tickets from Paris to Lourdes and back.

He patiently, professionally attended to our questions relating to the Metro Trains (especially, since there was a marathon and there were no taxi nor tour groups running) and even calculations on how long it will take us to walk or what direction to take to get to our destination.

He even made arrangements to get us the musical tickets for "Sister Act" and the Versailles Tour Group (enjoyable).

On our last two days, we were upgraded by the front desk to a "Suite Room" because the standard rooms were no longer available. Our rooms were always clean. It has a veranda overlooking the Louvre Museum, with the two oversized French Doors!

We were assured by the concierge, that we were in the safest district. It enabled us to feel comfortable walking at midnight to the deli or restaurants within 2 mile distance. We took the taxi at midnight to do more sightseeing at the Eiffell.

Thank you, we hope Hyatt will take care of the staff currently working at Hotel du Louvre. They provided us with excellent customer service, from Day 1 through 7th.

A limo van was also commissioned to bring us back to the airport. Over-all, our stay at hotel made our first trip to France memorable!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
pfauret, E-commerce manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a comment following your stay in Paris.

Be sure that I will tell Eric about your kind words. I am sure that it will make his day !

We would be happy to welcome you back for your 2nd trip to France !

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wife and I stayed for 8 days and were thrilled with the location, and the helpfulness of the staff. But we thought we were going to enjoy a true 5-star property. We didn't. Hyatt took over operation of the property in the middle of our stay, but we can't blame that for the problems we experienced. First- housekeeping... hard to understand how the staff thought it was OK to leave dirty glasses in our room. After drinking the free wine provided (a nice touch), the next day, after housekeeping cleaned, the dirty glasses were left on our desk, one still was still 1/4 filled with leftover wine. A couple of times, no soap was left. Another time... ready for this?... no toilet paper in the room... none. Housekeeping wasn't even a 1-star rating.
Now a word about comfort and sleep quality. Poor. The air conditioning didn't work for the first 3 nights of our stay. That made it impossible to sleep. Aside from the hot room, we had to keep the window open for some air, and the city noise doesn't help one sleep. We complained a couple of times. Were given a fan for the room. However, on the 4th night (after Hyatt had taken over) the air conditioning started working. Hmmmm?
Because of its location and the quality of its staff (except housekeeping), this was a good Paris experience. You should all hope that Hyatt does everything it can to get this hotel to a true 5-star level property.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Please accept our most sincere apologizes for not having met your expectations. You comments will be shared with the heads of service and actions will be taken where appropriate, especially in the housekeeping departement.

We would be happy to provide you a better stay in the future.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in April, just as the property was turning over to a Hyatt. Far and away the best part of the hotel is the location, literally across the street from the Louvre. The hotel is an older property with some miles on it like peeling paint and scuff marks, but mostly clean and well run. The rooms on the small side, but comfortable. The staff are responsive and friendly, with great knowledge of the neighborhood. I had a business dinner at the restaurant Marly in the Louvre one night, and a staff member from the hotel walked me half way to the restaurant to be sure I found the unmarked entrance. The hotel's restaurant was unremarkable, but the bar was well stocked and friendly. The folks from Hyatt bought a great property and I'm sure it will be improved but I do hope it doesn't lose it's character.

Room Tip: The hotel occupies a full block, with street facing rooms a bit loud and interior courtyard facing r...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Be sure that I will tell the management & staff about your kind words. Your comments always help us to provide a better service.

We would be happy to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked this Hotel for 3 nights from 25th March 2013 to celebrate my wife's 50th Birthday. An early arrival was fine (10.30 am), the room was ready but it did cost 35 Euros to gain access to the room.
The receptionist escorted us to the room which was a nice touch, all the staff were friendly and helpful at all times.
All the public areas were well kept and presented.
The hotel website claimed to have air conditioning in the rooms, I paid extra to stay in a junior suite on the top floor, this is where I have issues.
The air conditioning did not cool the room, the maintenance guy arrived with two options when I asked it to be looked at, 1. turn it off, 2. use this fan I will leave you. As we found the air conditioning actually heated up the room so were not using it we had little choice, by arriving with a fan clearly the hotel knew the air conditioning did not work in our room. The décor in the room was tired and unmaintained with part of the plinth broken away at the bottom of the bath and sink panels.
It's easy to complain, but when you pay good money there is a clear difference between character and lack of maintenance. The website photo's show some well maintained rooms sadly we did not get one. If you are a heavy sleeper choose a room at the front of the hotel, if not don't it's very noisy.

Room Tip: Very noisy at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed in a junior suite on the 5th floor which faced the street (room 537). We really liked the room: nice bathroom with plush robes and slippers; comfortable king-sized bed; lovely French doors to small but pleasant balconies. However, because the room faced the street, it was a little noisy--this didn't bother us--we actually enjoyed feeling like a part of the city, but if you need quiet, you should probably request a courtyard facing room. Also, our room had a closet which was a little short if you're a tall person. I'm petite and my dresses just barely missed the floor. So, if you need closet space for dresses, you might want a different room, or hang things off the towel rack in the bathroom if necessary. That's it as far as issues--we were there for about a week and had a great time!

The Defender bar is beautiful and relaxing with a reasonably priced though limited food menu. We ordered off this menu several times and were happy with the quality and quantity of food. They also serve nice complimentary snacks during the happy hour time which are top notch.

Breakfast was quite nice: good variety with eggs to order if desired. The fruit juices were freshly squeezed, and there was a good selection of breads, cheeses, and protein (a variety of yogurts, bacon, sausage, smoked salmon, etc.)

We ate at the Brasserie once. Food was excellent and the menu was quite interesting. It was a little pricey and the service was a little slow, but I would certainly go there again; I think the price might reflect the upscale nature of the menu and food quality--I'm not sure if it would be considered pricey if compared to other restaurants in its class.

The public spaces are lovely. Kudos to them for having a beautiful stairwell for all 5 floors! Elevator was prompt as well.

Finally, location is superb!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave such a long review.

You painted a genuine portrait of the Hotel du Louvre and we are very happy to read that you enjoyed your room, our bar and our restaurant.

Be sure that we would be very happy to welcome you back again in the City of Light.