“Woman of a Certain Age in Paris”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #456 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Traveling solo, I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. The warm send-off of the restaurant staff after my buffet breakfast each day, and the expert advice of the concierge, gave me the confidence to explore the city on my own. More than any other amenity, that hospitality was the best thing about the hotel.
My junior suite (room 221) overlooked the square with the Metro station, and after the ambient street noise quieted down, the roar of the Metro became prominent with each arrival and departure, but it was just part of city life. I enjoyed looking down into the activity of the square where each day brought some new busker, or slice of life. I was comfortable going out in the neighborhood at night, in fact, more comfortable than I would be by myself in downtown Seattle.
When you view the hotel online, please understand that it's a charming and fairly intimate place, a hotel of character, where you will be treated very well, and where the "patina" of place and age has been retained. For me, it was the perfect location, the perfect hotel bar and restaurant, the perfect staff, the perfect room, in short, "my" hotel in Paris.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Janetdoe
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Janetdoe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences online. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our Junior Suites overlooking the beauties of Paris.
I've told the staff about your kind remarks. I am sure it will make their day !
We hope to welcome you back again soon in "your" hotel in Paris !

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel is located right next to the Louvre Museum, if you book a Hotel on the top level you can actually see right into the Louvre. The bar area has live entertainment at night and serves decent wine by the class. We stayed at this Hotel for our Honeymoon, however I believe that it would also be a great business Hotel due to the location. The rooms are clean and well decorated.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top level facing the louvre
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lourens D

Thank you for having taken the time to leave a comment about our hotel.
We are glad to read that you loved your stay with us in such a special occasion.
We would be happy to welcome you back again in a near future.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Hotel du Louvre is the perfect location to stay when in Paris! All the monuments are easily accessible - within walking distance to Notre Dame, the Opera House, sightseeing boats along the Seine, and, as the name implies, you are literally within steps of the fabulous Louvre Museum. We were lucky enough to stay in the beautiful Pissarro Suite this past summer, and had the most magnificent view of opera house. Breakfast at the brasserie every morning was a wonderful start to our very busy days. The staff was very nice and the concierge had wonderful dinner recommendations for us every evening. I fully plan to return to this hotel on my next trip to Paris.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for having taken the time to share your comments with us and fellow travelers. It is always a pleasure to see that we exceeded your expectations.

I am thrilled to read that it was the case for you in our beautiful Pissarro Suite.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Hôtel du Louvre.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel has just been fully renovated and I found it a dream location. The service absolutely first class. It has to be said that I stayed in what I believe is the best room in the hotel, the Suite du Pissarro So I am unable to comment on the smaller rooms. However, I normally do stay in suites so I can use the lounge as an extra bedroom or our daughter and this suite was as good as it gets. The brasserie was exceptionally good value and the evening meals are all inclusive. This was my first stay at this hotel although I have been to Paris countless time. This will be my new home in Paris! I forgot to mention, I found the staff particularly friendly when surly service is generally the norm in Paris.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JeffeyS
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind posting on Tripadvisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience in our fabulous Pissarro Suite and hope to welcome you once again in a near future.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Hotel du Lourve was in the best location for touring Paris. The room was very large and could use a little updating but it was clean and comfortable. Ask for an exterior room if you want the view but if you want quiet ask for an interior room. We enjoyed the well appointed breakfast each morning and the staff was very polite.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TraveLoggin

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us and fellow travellers.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
With our very best regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

As another reviewer put it, great place to stay on your first visit to Paris but I would not stay here again. I am a travel agent who has booked many of my clients at the Hotel du Louvre so I wanted to experience this hotel for myself. Stayed in a junior suite for 4 nights because the superior rooms just didn't look spacious enough. My biggest complaint about this hotel is the fact that every single guest room's front door closes with a thunderous bang, and that is not an exaggeration! The room shuddered every time someone left or entered their room. My second complaint was the exorbitant room service menu pricing. I know Paris is expensive but this is ridiculous. One night I ordered a pizza, salad, 2 sodas and 2 desserts, it was 85 euros. Since they didn't have in-room coffee-making facilities, I had to order from room service for 8 euros per day (plus 2 euros tip) For the price of this hotel, I can definitely book other hotels as nice if not nicer than the Hotel du Louvre.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank christine a
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.
I was very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the doors and the room-service. Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. Thank you for your understanding and for helping us improve the quality of our service.
We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel du Louvre.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked 4 nights from Jan 1, 2013. We had just spent 5 nights at the Hotel Corinthia in London which was wonderful.
We could not say the same about Hotel du Louvre. This hotel is in no way a 4 or 5 start hotel.
The only 2 good qualities of the hotel are the location, and the nice orange lights on the exterior of the building.
From the moment we stepped into the lobby area, there was a very distinct stale smell, the carpets in the hallways and stairs were dated and dirty. Our room also had a terrible stale smell, very dated, extremely warm. The first 2 nights; we had to sleep with the balcony doors open for fresh and cool air. However, the noise outside prevented us from sleeping!
The beds were way too firm and uncomfortable.
The gym was under equipped and old, it had only 2 or 3 pieces of cardio equipment.
On our 3rd day there, in the late afternoon, we had come back to the room to relax and take a nap from being out all day, and we suddenly heard a lady's voice screaming at the top of her voice in French running down the hallway.
We opened the door, and she said she had just seen a huge rat in her room. This was our next door neighbor!! This completely freaked me out, and we decided to move to another hotel. This is where the real nightmare began!! We called downstairs, and the receptionist said they understood, and were aware of the rat infestation, and they would give us all our money back. When we got downstairs we had 4 different staff tell us different versions of how and if we would be reimbursed. One of the receptionists actually started laughing while I was explaining our experience!! So rude!!
Anyway, to cut the long story short, we have only been reimbursed for part of the stay. We ended up spending our 2 remaining nights at the Intercontinental, which was way, way nicer, and truly a 5 star hotel.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone, and would never stay there again
Beware, everyone, this hotel is NOT a 5 star hotel, neither is it a 3 or 4 star

Room Tip: Do not select this hotel if you are searching for 4, 5 star luxury
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple