“It's about the location.”
Review of Hotel du Louvre

Hotel du Louvre
Ranked #456 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for two nights in a Junior Suite (room 337) which had a view of The Louvre (well, the back windows of The Louvre). As probably one of the most expensive hotels I've stayed in (€800/$1000) the room was pretty good, but not epic. The staff were all excellent and friendly. The buffet breakfast was reasonable without being awesome. The view was good, without being breathtaking. What this hotel is about is 'Location', which it has in spades - you could throw a cocktail stick at The Louvre and it's a fantastic base for roaming around the core of Paris being a 15-min stroll from both Notre Dame and Place de la Concorde. There is a 'Batobus' landing just across from The Louvre which at €15/day provides a great way of saving your legs while seeing the city. There are quite a few good restaurants within metres of the hotel.

The bathroom was very large and well equipped with a good shower. The bed was massive - almost a double-double bed, you could seriously have slept a family of five without any trouble. Big hat-tip for the inclusive, high-speed WiFi which was excellent. There was a flat-screen TV but we never turned it on. Curiously, there wasn't a kettle in the room, so no tea/coffee facilities. The buffet breakfast was fairly average, if I'm honest, with some very good elements but also with a few luke-warm ones (they ran out of croissants!) - although they still served at the sensible time of 10:30am at the weekend!

Now a gripe: We had a drink in the bar after returning from dinner. I travel the world and stay in hotels a lot - I expect the drinks to be expensive, but the prices charged "prendre la pisse" - €15.50 for a 33cl bottle of Kronenbourg 1664 (£21.50 a pint in London terms, $28 for a New York pint, $25 for an Aussie schooner) is crazy money. Even worse was charging €8 for a small bag of M&M's from the minibar when you could walk across the road and buy a packet for 40c - a 2000% markup....

In summary : Above average hotel, fantastic location, not cheap. Would I stay again? Oh yes ...

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JasonLaw_UK
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your review.
We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our historical hotel located in the heart of Paris.
We hope to welcome you again in a near future !

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay here bhut popped in at the cafe. We were very early for our louvre tour so we decided to have breakfast.....Silly me. I didn't check the price or ask. Coffee and buffet for two added up to €60. Im not kidding. It was good but not that good!

1  Thank Tia J
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for your comment.
We are sorry to hear that you recent experience in our restaurant didn't live up your expectations.
We would like you to know that we provide to our clients a buffet breakfast with a vey large choice of food such as bakeries & pastries, cold cuts & cheeses, dairies, hot beverages, fresh fruit juices...

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel is in a perfect location for seeing the sights of Paris. We were celebrating our anniversary and arrived on the actual day. The room was rather disappointing as we had requested a corner room with a view. Instead, the room was located next to a corner room and "the view" was looking at some of the windows across the street of the Louvre. The room was small and we had to keep one suitcase in the closet in order to move about. A mysterious bouquet of red roses was on the desk with no card. When I asked one of the young women at the front desk, she said she didn't know who they were from but offered, "probably housekeeping." It was a nice touch, but the roses looked a few days old and we wondered if they were a "recycled" celebration bouquet that had been passed on to us. The room was very modern and we were hoping for one of the rooms on the website that was shown in antique French decor. The bathroom needed updating - there was black mold in one corner of the ceiling and mildew on one wall. The room was clean and the bathroom was clean with the exceptions mentioned. However, when we took our first showers, water leaked from the glass door seam all onto the floor. We immediately contacted the front desk and asked for a room change since this was a safety issue. At first we were told that a room change would be made. Then the head of housekeeping appeared at the door and asked to see the problem. She informed me that she would send someone from maintenance to address it. When I pointed out the mold, she emphatically stated that it wasn't mold and that she could send someone to clean the mildew off of the wall. After arguing back and forth about the mold, I realized the conversation was going nowhere. I mentioned that we were supposed to have a room change but she said the shower would be taken care of as soon as we left the room. When we returned, the shower door had been caulked and shortly after, a housekeeper appeared with a bottle of wine for the trouble. The shower continued to leak throughout our stay. The price of our room included the breakfast buffet, which was very good and which I highly recommend. Our first morning, we overslept (we later realized we should have had a wake up call) and missed the breakfast. I asked the front desk if we could have a credit toward lunch or dinner and we were denied. I asked to see the front desk manager who was behind the scenes at a darkened window sending out the message with one of the women at the front desk. When she appeared she was unfriendly and snippy. We were told "the price of the room was negotiated with the travel agency and couldn't be refunded in any form."Then I asked to speak to her manager, who I believe was the general manager. She was pleasant and polite but denied the request, offering each of us a complimentary glass of champagne with dinner. It was a 72 Euro loss for us and I do believe they could have easily given us a credit toward dinner. We went elsewhere for dinner during our stay. The neighborhood has many cafes and restaurants which we enjoyed, and because of the location, we were within walking distance of many places of interest. The people at the front desk (with the exception of the manager) were friendly and welcoming, and the service at breakfast was friendly and efficient. The housekeeper did a nice job cleaning the room. Service at the concierge desk was hit or miss depending upon who helped you. We were glad we stayed here because of the great location, but it definitely is not a 5 star hotel, nor is it worth $500 a night.

Room Tip: Don't count on your room request(s) being met.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HKC1010
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for having taken the time to leave a comment about our hotel.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Paris.

However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the bathroom : I will definitely share your remarks with our Technical Director in order to avoid such issues in the future.

Also, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning our front-desk staff.

We do hope for an opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel under better circumstances.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel is far from the cheapest in Paris but is worth every penny. It is across the road from the Louvre and on a lovely square with cafes and bars.
Location is very important in Paris, as in any city, because the main complaint people make is that there are a lot of pickpockets in the city. However if you pay the extra and get a good hotel in a nice area this isn't a problem that you are likely to have. Also the concierge was happy after booking a table for me to draw a map showing the route I should walk to the restaurant to see the sites and stay in the good parts of the city.
Other than the amazing location the hotel is what you would expect from a hotel in this price range with staff that will do anything they can to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: The rooms are not huge but very nice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for your review.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed our faboulous location in the heart of Paris.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon !
With our very best regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel du Louvre, who is very well located right in the centre of Paris, close to the Louvre and the Palais Royal. I stayed there on 3 other occasions. The facade is very impressive. But once you walk in, my impression is that it is in dire need of an upgrade, everything looks tired and worn out. Some of the staff are very friendly and service minded, others are not friendly at all, not very consistent. The food is quite good. The rooms are outdated, and so are the bathrooms. I could not get the water for the shower at the right temperature, it was either too cold or too hot. The rooms are not so big, and it does not feel like a 5 star hotel, more like a 3+ star. A fun anecdote is that they say there is ghost in the hotel. When the door of the elevator closed and opened a couple of times before finally going down, I thought that maybe a ghost was playing tricks! Paris needs a luxury hotel in that location, but it is too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Henridevos

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave a review following your stay at the Hotel du Louvre.

Please do accept our most sincere apologies for not having met your expectations.

I will definitely share your remarks with the Heads of Department concerned and appropriate actions will be taken, in order to avoid such issues in the future, especially in regards to your comments regarding the rooms and the elevator.

Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupations. I thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here in August 2011. Thankfully we were able to get a great deal on hotels.com. The reception area is stunning and the reception staff were very courteous when we arrived. We left our bags in reception as our room wasn't ready and we went and explored Paris for a few hours to make the most of our three day stay. The hotel is in a great location and we were able to walk to all the main tourist areas.

When we returned we were shown to a room on the top floor, the room was clean and nicely furnished. We had literally just sat our bags down and said goodbye to the porter when there was a loud crash. I initially thought it had come from outside as our room overlooked the road and it had sounded like a car crash with windows shattering. It was however our shower screen shattering on to the tiled floor. I quickly rang reception and explained what had happened and asked them to send someone straight away. The glass started popping and bouncing on the floor (an apparent safety feature) and coming into the bedroom so were confined to one area of the room as we didn't want to cut ourselves on the glass. Half an hour went by and still no one came, so I rang again very upset that no-one has come to see what had happened and also see if we were ok. Eventually we had a maintenance guy turn up with a light bulb in his hand! I showed him the mess and he went away again without a word. I can understand his english was limited but the reception and concierge staff certainly understood what I had said.

Another 20 minutes later he turned up with a broom, then a housekeeper turned up to 'supervise him'. I asked her what would happen and she just stated it would be cleared up. Nearly two hours later the screen had been replaced but none of the staff had apologised to us, we sat and watched the staff replacing the screen laugh and joke with each other and not even bother to acknowledge us. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked by the shower screen smashing but we were basically expected to just put up with up. I had to go down to reception and ask why no one had apologised to us and was given some excuse.

The plug sockets on the wall were also loose so we did not feel safe using them. This event really tainted our view of the hotel which was a shame as it is in a great location and looks so grand and beautiful from the outside. I wrote and complained formally after our stay but was still brushed off which I found completely unacceptable as if someone had been in the bathroom when the shower screen fell ofF the 'faulty hinge, as the hotel put it), someone could have been seriously hurt.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank summerash1978
pfauret, Social Media Manager at Hotel du Louvre, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you very much for posting your review and taking the time to write your impression on your recent stay at the Hotel du Louvre.

I am very sorry that the encounter with one of our staff member has marred your overall positive experience. Our 170 employees are dedicated to making the stay of our clients the most pleasurable and comfortable, and I have shared your kind comments with them.

Rest assured that our guests’ satisfaction and comfort is at all times our priority.

I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in our City of Light.

With best regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Thank you so much to Emilie for making my lunch a wonderful experience. As someone who needs a gluten free diet you could not have made it easier for me. Thank you. I have dined here before and will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Be sure that I will tell the management & staff about your kind words. Your comments always help us to provide a better service.

We would be happy to welcome you back in a near future.