“Ok hotel. Not a 5 star!!”
Review of Hotel Raphael

Ranked #355 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very expenensive breakfast ar 40 euro per person. Small toilette. Completely useless bath. The single wkevator did nit work. The concierge gave us a sense as if we are trounling him. All un all not a great place.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank warsaw274856
LES_HOTELS_BAVEREZ, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear guest,

Your feedback is invaluable to us, so we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post this review on tripadvisor after your recent stay at the Hotel Raphael Paris.

I regret that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay with us.

I hope you will give us another chance in the near future to show you we are capable of a better service.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Raphael.

Hote Raphael

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have traveled to Paris many times and am delighted to have found this hotel! It's just a block from the Arc de Triomphe on a quiet street but still very close the hustle and bustle of Paris. Located in the 16th arr., it features traditional décor with all the panel molding, antique paintings, velvet and marble but on a smaller scale than the Grand Dame hotels of the 8th and 1st arr. I booked a junior suite but it was very large with two separate rooms, detailed decorative painting, built in wardrobes and a walk in closet. I think just the wardrobe/closet may have resulted in some over-exuberant shopping on my part but c'est la vie. The bed was comfy, the pillows were down, the linens were lovely and the bathroom refreshingly bright with modern function and a fairly traditional look. There was a separate entry vestibule for my room and inside the living area French doors led outside to a long private balcony. If that was a "junior" suite anything bigger must be an absolute knockout.
The staff was extremely friendly and accommodated my early arrival without the typical disdain than can be found in many of the Parisian hotels. Heating and cooling in the room was efficient and the water pressure was great. The shower was the usual "Eurobox" but there was a nice, separate tub. There is a single, smallish elevator so if you just miss it you'll need a few minutes of practicing French conversation 101 with the front desk staff but I ended up with a great restaurant tip that I wouldn't have otherwise discovered.
As I came and went, there was always a friendly hello that seemed a little warmer than hospitality industry standard. Taxis were usually out front waiting but it was a 1 minute walk to the Champs Elysees anyway.
If you're looking for a traditional Parisian hotel with a great location, moderate (for Paris) price this should be on your short list.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Heather N
LES_HOTELS_BAVEREZ, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Heather,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel Raphael and for your very positive review. Getting a "perfect" 5 rating is fantastic news to begin the week:) Merci !

We are close by to some of the best shopping & attractions in the city and it sounds as though you were able to take advantage of that. Located on Avenue Kléber, a stone's throw from the Champs-Elysées and the Arch of Triumph, The Raphael is a haven of peace in Paris just a few streets away from the capital's fashion boutiques, museums and main attractions.

Thank you for such a wonderful description of our decor and hotel services!
Built in 1925, the hotel preserved such original details as rich silks, tasteful antiques and damask wallpaper. Many loyal guests have chosen this hotel offering luxury, elegance and discretion as their home away from home.
Our Junior Suites are the epitome of the art of living in a hotel with luxury services and offer uniquely exclusive charm in a majestic setting. These unique suites boast Louis XV and Louis XVIstyle furniture and roomy wardrobes in mahogany and oak. A wood-carved archway and matching curtains partially separate the living room from the bedroom.

It is always a joy to read that guests have enjoyed every aspect of their stay. Our hotel is still owned & managed by the same French family over 4 generations and our entire staff works every day to recreate the feeling of being welcomed into a luxurious family home for our guests. Your nice compliments on our service & staff are a great reward to our continuous efforts to meet our clients' expectations.

Again thank you for the courtesy of your time and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back very soon at the Hotel Raphael.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had to stay at the Raphael because the hotel I normally stay at in Paris was undergoing renovation. I had my concerns, since I knew nothing of the Raphael. I was pretty pleased overall, though it does have some quirks. At 770 Euros per night, the place had better be spectacular. It failed that test, but other than the price (and it may be possible to find a lower priced room), it is worth considering. First, it is pretty well located--not the best, but not bad. Ave. Kleber is off the Etoile, down one of the radiating streets, about three blocks. The hotel would be a very long walk from some of the major sites, but it is an easy walk to the Champs Elysee. The lobby is older and more traditional, somewhat small and long, but nice. Be careful of the concierge desk--some are quite knowledgable and accurate and helpful, others know noting and get it all wrong and also are helpful. Because they are all so helpful, you can get tricked. For example, the first day I was there the (very young) concierge maintained with unshakeable conviction that it would be 90 degrees and cloudless. I had my doubts. I looked outside. It was completely overcast. Against his advice, I took my umbrella. As it turned out, it remained 60 degrees and poured all day long. I had a similar experience in getting them to hail me a cab that would accept a credit card (it is amazing, but even though credit card acceptance is mandatory in New York and preponderant in London, it is only by appointment in Paris? A developed country?). Eventually the concierge came through, after a nail-biter. The older ones are actually quite good and can be relied upon, but the point is, don't just accept what you are told.
The elevator is what everyone talks about and remembers--it is tiny, semi automated, and very old. It did not create any problems while I was there, but it is a single point of failure that those who are disabled might want to consider when choosing a hotel.
I did not try the room service. My room was very large--far larger than I expected, with may windows on an interior courtyard that was both quiet and well lit. No complaints there. The bed was very good, and the maid service was both efficient and unobsequious. The amenities were fine, and all the plumbing, air conditioning, internet worked quite well. Internet is included (obviously, at this price).
There is a Peninsula Hotel being built right next door that will open sometime in 2014 or 2015. I will be interested to see how the Raphael survives in the face of world class competition 30 feet away.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, get one facing an interior courtyard--there are no great views at this hotel anywa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
LES_HOTELS_BAVEREZ, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Suitecasepro,

Thank you for taking the time to post your extensive review of your first stay at the Hotel Raphael.

The location of our hotel is ideal for both the business and leisure traveller, adjacent to the subway Kléber or bus station, within walking distance of many of Paris’s iconic sights, including the Arc de Triomphe, The Champs-Elysées, the Trocadéro, museums (Baccarat, Chaillot, Guimée…) as well as shopping in the avenue Victor Hugo.

I am glad to read that you liked the decor of our historical hotel, our spacious rooms, amenities, facilities and maid services.
However, I am genuinely concerned about your comments regarding our concierges. We all work daily to make each of our guests feel at home, and the service and warmth of our concierge team “Clés d’Or” is one of the points on which we get the best feedbacks. We sincerely apologize for your disappointing experience. Your critique will serve our team well, as we do continually look to find opportunities to improve our level of service and attention to details.

The hotel you refer to will offer 200 rooms compare to our hotel with 83 rooms. It’s like comparing a journey on a cruise liner or on a schooner… a different atmosphere and experience! The Hotel Raphael is proud of the unique ‘hospitality savoir-faire’ that has been the backbone of its success since 1925 and is the quintessence of the French-style art of living.
All our rooms have different décor and they are very spacious for Paris (average size of 30m² for a Classic room up to 180m² for a State Suite). Indeed we do have rooms with great views, especially our Suites; some of them have a large private terrace with views of the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe and Paris landmarks…so romantic, so Paris!
And on the hotel's top floor, the PLUS compare to other competitors, is our magnificent terrace. This summer our bar “Belle-Epoque” is the best place to sip a cocktail or a glass of champagne while enjoying magnificent 360-degree panoramic views over the Capital’s skyline ( Tour Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe, Sacré Coeur…).

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We found this hotel to be a classic Parisian experience. The decor is like something out of "Gigi", red velvet upholstery and beautiful draperies. The bed linens are to die for! A continental breakfast was included the cost of our suite, which was so delicious - I think they had the best baguettes and pastries in Paris. All of the staff was so very nice and helpful.

I almost forgot - you must go to the rooftop garden and have a cocktail - it is on the 7th floof and is absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen such a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which included 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a large sitting room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia L
SAREGINA, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear valued guest,

We want to extend our sincerest gratitude for taking the time to share your experience and to highlight all the wonderful things you enjoyed about your stay.

Paris is full of hidden corners that offer calm oases, and one of the prettiest is found at Hotel Raphael. Housed in a seven-story palace that was built in 1925, the hotel preserved such original details as rich silks, tasteful antiques and damask wallpaper. Thanks to its unique décor, the hotel is often used as a film decoration. Hopefully you were able to feel as though you were acting out your own romantic movie!

We are glad to read you enjoy our baguettes and home-made pastries. During your next visit, you should try our restaurant ”Raphael, Le Restaurant” which is now run by the young and talented Chef Amandine Chaignot; she is one of the very few women to have taken the reigns of a top Parisian restaurant.

The Raphael La Terrace, on the rooftop, is a top notch place during summer time to sip a cocktail or a glass of champagne while enjoying magnificent 360-degree panoramic views over the Capital’s skyline (Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe…).

Thank you again for the courtesy of your time and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon at the Hotel Raphael for your next stay in our lovely " City of Lights".

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Staying at the Raphael is truly being part of the very happy fews. A charming palace near Arc of Triumph with this undefinite something from the old splendor of the jet set society. Truly a moment out of this world!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lorenzo b

Dear Lorenzo,

We would like to thank you for posting your positive comments on Tripadvisor about your most recent stay at the Hotel Raphael.

Our hotel is still owned & managed by the same French family over 4 generations and our entire staff works everyday to recreate the feeling of being welcomed into a luxurious family home for our guests.
We are glad to know you enjoyed our “charming palace” and being part of the “very happy few”. It is true that many loyal guests and celebrities choose the Hotel Raphael because it offers luxury, elegance and discretion; it’s a haven of peace in Paris just a few streets away from the capital's fashion boutiques, museums and main attractions.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel Raphael was a great suprise for us in Paris- part of LHW, the hotel was great. We were upgraded in Delux room which means very big room,really nicely decorated,modern even if the hotel is classic.
The location of the hotel is perfect- 3 min walk from Arc de Triomphe,if you come by bus from airport the bus station is 5 min walk,in front of the hotel there is a metro station but we didn't tried it. A walking distance from the hotel is the very nice Victor Hugo buld with many options for restaurants etc.
The breakfast in the hotel is very good, the service also very very good- I forgot my husbands blaser when we left and I call them from Monaco-they send it immediately,really nice staff.
There is a very good bar in the hotel,we tried when we arrived,the atmosfere is simply great.

So, I would definately return in this hotel when in Paris.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elena123_11
SAREGINA, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Elena,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment on Tripadvisor ! We truly appreciate your feed-back and are thrilled to read that you enjoy staying with us.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our décor, breakfast, service, professional staff and therefore eager to return.

Paris, Paris, there are so many things to do & see and so many reasons to come back!
The entire staff is impatient to welcoming you back soon at the Hotel Raphael.

Looking forward to that occasion.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed all over Europe and this was the only place we felt like they wanted us gone the moment we checked in in. Yes, we have 4 kids, but they know how to behave, yet no one made the least amount of effort to be kind to them or us. The concierge made us feel like we were interrupting him, the showers without doors sprayed water all over the bathroom, and the meagre breakfast also made us feel intrusive if we asked for a refill of coffee. We stay at nice hotels all the time, but we will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Licatasol
LES_HOTELS_BAVEREZ, Directeur général at Hotel Raphael, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Licatasol,

Thank you for your review of your stay at the Hotel Raphael and for your constructive feedback.

I am extremely disappointed to hear about the service issues you experienced throughout your stay. This certainly does not reflect the five star service our staff prides themselves on.

Our hotel is still owned & managed by the same French family over 4 generations and our entire staff works every day to recreate the feeling of being welcomed into a luxurious family home for our guests. I would like to reassure you on the fact that our mission is to treat all our guests the same way and that we do like welcoming family with kids. The Hotel Raphael offers spacious rooms and many connecting rooms which are perfect for a family gateway.
I am further concerned about your observations on our staff's attitude and treatment of guests. If we have, in any way, imparted an unwelcoming sense to you during your stay with us, we sincerely apologize for this. Please be assured that I will try to get to the root of your comment.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Raphael