“Why not”

Musee des Egouts de Paris
Ranked #265 of 1,984 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fancy a walk well off the beaten track in the French capital? This tour will show you the underside of Paris from Ancient times through to the era of Belgrand, the 19th-century engineer who designed the sewer system in its current form. In the underground tunnels you will learn about the water cycle and all the work of the Paris sewer workers.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 2, 2017 via mobile

We have been to Paris before and have ticked the big items off, so why not go underground to a very important piece of infrastructure. It was a bit smelly; we had to tag along with a French speaking guided group but we had a information brochure so we worked it out. Very interesting.

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"equipment"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

This was a fun little tour of the Paris Sewer System. Maybe not surprisingly, it was not at all crowded. The Museum was on the Paris Pass, but there was an extra small charge of 3.6 euros that I couldn't actually tell what it was for (the ticket person didn't speak much English, and I don't speak much French, plus, I'm not big on questioning). The Museum took around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how much you stopped and read. Keep in mind, it's a working Sewer museum and it smells like it in parts and you see some things in the sewer system that might be a little stomach turning for some people. The guys and the kids really enjoyed it, though. Also, please note there is a small family of rats that live in one particular part of the Museum. They don't mention that at the first, though the lady in the gift shop at the end asked if we'd seen them and told us their names. Only the first two of us through the area actually saw the rats, and the rats quickly scurried away from us. But it was a little startling at first and it put me on guard through the rest of the Museum for critters. The gift shop is tiny, but the lady working it was very nice. Humorously, you can buy little stuffed rats in there, which was kind of a must after seeing them in person. It was an odd, but fun Museum. But not for the faint of heart or easily disgusted.

Reviewed July 17, 2017

I have to laugh at some of the reviews of the sewer tour. I did this tour 2 weeks ago. First of all the spot is on the left bank side of Pont d' Alma and it would be very hard to miss it. I'm pretty sensitive to smells and this isnt offensive. It is about a half hr to 45 min tour depending on how many of the informations signs you read. Cost was €4.50. You will not get dirty and do not need to wear old shoes. If you've been to Paris frequently this is something new to do. You do have to descend about 15 steps, and I don't think children would enjoy this very much even though there were some 5 yr old and up aged children while we were there. We saw running water but no raw sewage. It's too bad some of the TA reviews made me nervous before hand. Can't imagine some of the reviews are authentic.

1  Thank Missie6
Reviewed July 10, 2017

This was a very unique museum. It smelled worse than I expected it to. I usually have an iron stomach, but there were a few spots along the way where I was actually gagging because of the smell. It was a rainy day, so maybe that made a difference. Tiny gift store at the end of the tour that offers adorable stuffed rats for sale. (I love a museum with a sense of humor!) Would I go back? No, but I'm proud to say that I've been there.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2017

11 year old boys like underground tunnels and talking about poop, so this was a good choice on our family trip. The write ups for the walk through visit were mostly in French so that made it hard for the finer details. I wish they had an English tour guide, but still looking around at the items on display you can see how far Paris has come with their development of a clean water supply. It was stinky, but hopefully that is not a surprise to anyone who pays to tour the sewer! :-)