“Its a real sewer”

Paris Museum Pass 2 Days
Ranked #161 of 1,245 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fancy a walk well off the beaten track in the French capital? This tour will show you the underside of Paris from Ancient times through to the era of Belgrand, the 19th-century engineer who designed the sewer system in its current form. In the underground tunnels you will learn about the water cycle and all the work of the Paris sewer workers.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went to this attraction thinking that it would be an isolated section of disused sewer system but no. When you go down the steps into the tunnel your nose soon tells that it is in fact a working part of the sewage system.
The smell although definately drainy is not really too bad.
The self guided tour through a number of galleries within the sewage system is fascinating.
The equipment used in the day to day running of the system is shown and the methods of problem solving are demonstrated such as large wooden balls being floated in the sewage flow to swirl and pressurize it and prevent the sand in the water settling and blocking the pipes.
The tour is just above the rushing flow of a large main sewer carrying the daily waste of the city. some of the walkways are metal gratings above the rushing flow. Side branches also visible.
The tunnels also carry the pipework for drinking water and act as conduits for other services.
Information posters are provided throughout, although we felt that a guided tour would have added to the experience.
Not a job I would like, underground rushing water is a bit unnerving and going through a tunnel in a scraper boat would probably reduce me to a nervous wreck but a definate hats off to the workers who keep the system flowing.
If you ever wondered how the sewers work this is not to be missed.

6  Thank Bedfordcouple002

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have been to Paris on 3 previous occassions and had never got to see the famous Sewers (Les Egouts) made famous by Victor Hugos desperado Jean Valjean of ''Les Misrables'' fame. I think I expected a maze of caves so I was a bit disappointed to see a rather modern system of sewers that create an amazing underground city beneath Paris. I don't know how people can work down there all day because the smell is terrible. One young guy told me he doesn't smell it any more but people can smell it on his clothes. I lasted about 45 minutes before I had to make an exit. My wife lasted 10! There were about 20 people in our group and most seemed very interested. I continued the tour via directional signs and read up the exhibits rather than wait for the guide. It is extremely interesting but also extremely smelly, just as you always imagined it would be!!!

6  Thank William B
Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you have a spare hour in Paris, and have done the top ten attractions. Or maybe it's raining. Hop down to the left bank at Pont d'Alma and explore the labyrinth of tunnels and sewers that run under the city, carrying everything from water to waste, TV cables to traffic light systems. On the morning I went, the tour was conducted in French, but it sounded pretty entertaining! Nevertheless, even if you don't speak the lingo, push on and explore the exhibition on your own - almost all the displays are translated into English, and there are enough visual aids to give you a good idea of what this unusual attraction is all about.
It's not expensive, and it is an interesting diversion from all the beautiful stuff Paris has to offer!

4  Thank jemsilverstone
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Like some other reviewers I probably wouldn't recommend going out of your way to visit this museum, but if you happen to be passing by, it's worth the reasonable entry fee to spend 30 minutes or so in the bowels of Paris (pun intended).
It does pong a bit in places and a bit worse in other places and I was a bit worried about walking on the open grating over the running sewerage/water but I got over it and found it quite interesting.
It will certainly be a talking point when we get home and I am currently reading Les Miserables although I haven't got to the bit where they go down into the sewers yet. However, it will be much easier to picture now that I have seen them.
We were disappointed not to see any rats, swimming or otherwise!

3  Thank plspoon
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Definitely good for a 1 hour stop. It's a quick self-guided tour through the sewers of Paris. There are definitely a few smellier places on the tour, but nothing worse than what you might think. FYI, the entrance is on the left bank corner of the Pont D'Alma - it's just a kiosk sticking out in the middle of nowhere and looks like an info booth.

5  Thank DandN D