Tripadvisor

from $104.75
from $58.44
from $203.99
6,672 results
All reviews napoleon's tomb army museum military history two world wars french army suits of armour french perspective dome church napoleon bonaparte louis xiv final resting place middle ages excellent museum on display amazing collection audio guide museum pass
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Glorious and noble idea, nowdays transformed into a great army museum with splendid collection of all sorts of army weaponary and insignia.
Do not miss the tomb of Napoleon, which is stunning.

Date of experience: October 2019
1  Thank a1eksandar
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were walking and killing time until our next scheduled tour and decided to go in. Admission is reasonable (skip the line and go to the kiosk near the ticket counter -- get your tickets in under a minute). We didn't look up what kind of museum this was, but still enjoyed seeing the old suits of armour, swords, etc. But as we kept progressing and saw that everything was military up to and including WWII, it got quite depressing for me. So much fighting throughout history.

Military buffs will love this place.

Reviewed January 5, 2020

As many times as I have been to Paris, this was my first time here and I regret it. I didn't get the audio guide, so I can't speak to that and I also speak French and most of the plaques were in French, so I recommend taking the extra time to get at least one audio guide for the group. That being said, if you don't need an audio guide, there are ticket machines to buy tickets, only adult tickets though. If you need children tickets or audio guides, you must wait in line.

The army museum is truly interesting. They display uniforms from all different periods and cultures. The Turkish and Japanese uniforms are very exotic. They display armor from the medieval period from a multitude of cultures. They hit on WWI and WWII, including the Holocaust. They really don't leave anything out. It was all done very nicely. Also, there is the tomb of Napoleon (visiting it was short and sweet). It is walking distance to the Rodin Museum, so they should be done the same day in concert. It is a reasonable walking distance from the Eiffel Tower, so the three could be managed together with the Eiffel Tower being the last since it has the latest operating hours. To me, this is one of the coolest things to do in Paris.

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

What a fab museum. Armour and Napoleons tomb. Spent all afternoon here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very quiet yet so many people there. Very well laid out and presented exhibitions and well worth a visit.

Reviewed December 31, 2019 via mobile

So as you already know and understand from reading all of my other reviews on TripAdvisor, we visited fifteen Parisian museums in our nine day visit. And before we started, we agreed on just about all of our choices- except that Mrs was less enthusiastic about this one. But as stated in the title- she enjoyed this very much too.

And as so many (if not most) of our amazing museum choices and decisions, the venue structure architecture that houses the artifacts was a treasure to be seen and admired in its own right... and the Musee des Invalides is no exception-the structure is stunning and incredible! The big gigantic humongous golden shinning dome casting its shadow and influence over the left bank. And its history too!! Did I tell you how this building is prominently seen from the top of the Eiffel Tower? “Week I’m telling you now” (see my photos from the top of there).

Let’s start by going from Grand Palais and Petit Palais and crossing Pont Alexander III and breezing past the beautiful gardens and grasses until the elegant gilded gigantic gates to enter the ground of this wonderful museum- just amazing (see my photos here). We also enjoyed exploring the inner courtyard foyer (see more photos).

So we entered the building and explored the numerous galleries and exhibitions about the various wars of France. As expected (no surprise here), we took an interest in World War I but our primary interest was in World War II (see my photos again).

Then we came upon a totally separate building in this complex, and even a separate admission fee (but also covered by our amazing Paris Museum Pass- yes- please read my review of that too). So maybe we did 16 museums in those nine days.

This section dealt with the years of the brutal cruel inhuman Nazi oppression and occupation, including in large part the persecution, torture, deportation and murder of the Parisian Jews. It also has information on the Drancy operation, a place that Mrs wanted to visit (the RER-B to CDG passes there).

And then to the final part of our museum visit here- the tomb of Napoleon- what holds his remains. I was very eager to see up close this gigantic cenotaph (whatever that is). I had seen many photos and descriptions and it fascinated me as a piece of history (before visiting this museum, I thought that it would be they only thing that I world do here). It is in a church building. I quickly entered the main floor, looked down from the balcony to the tomb on the ground floor below, and didn’t descend to view the edifice more closely and in more detail- but I can tell you that it is quite huge and impressive.... next time...

Everything written here is true, because-
I visited this place