“Get a grip - it's just a boulangerie.”

Boulangerie Poilane
Ranked #47 of 658 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered by many to be Paris's best bakery.
Brighton
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Get a grip - it's just a boulangerie.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

"so good".."we will never be satisfied eating any other pastry". Am I in a dream? We stopped by in Paris on the way back from the Alps, and as we were near Trocadero, I popped over to the Bd de Grenelle branch and got some croissant, pain chocolat and a 2kg miche. A telling sign that it can't be great local boulangerie - there wasn't a queue out the door. The pastry were okay, but I wouldn't trek across Paris for them. As one Parisian reviewer has written here - I too have had better elsewhere. France is a large country with many boulangeries. My biggest criticisms goes to their iconic miche. When I first read about it in Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice, I said to myself I must try that one day. Well that day came and the miche was dry and pretty disappointing in flavour and texture. Maybe the baker had an off day. I know what it's like; I've baked sourdough myself and some days it just doesn't turn out right. Or maybe this branch of Poilane is not as good as the other one. Who knows? A big, big let down for this culinary mecca, but it rather cheered me up and made me think maybe my own bread isn't half bad!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Robert K

Reading, PA
724 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3,720 helpful votes
“Still so, so good”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The first thing we do each morning when we are in Paris is head to Poilane. Our order is the same each day - 3 croissants and 1 pain au chocolat. These are so good especially when they are still warm. We always arrive right after 7:15 when they open. The day we leave, we also get a big loaf of their bread - which is sold by weight and some butter cookies.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank luvroma2
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“We will never be satisfied eating any other pastry”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Having been in France for a month, my husband and I have tried our fair share of croissants, pain au chocolat, and the like. On our final day in Paris we finally made the pilgrimage.... And we are very sorry we didn't make it earlier, although our waist lines are better for it. The pain au chocolat was something so delicious, my husband was speechless. My croissant, although not much to look at, was so flakey and light that It was hard to believe. I am really going to struggle eating vienossoiries from anywhere else. These set the standard for how pastry should taste.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Ph O
Linden, VA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The best of everything they do”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I have found no better breads, croissants, or butter cookies anywhere else in the world. I even chose a breakfast spot for this trip based on the fact that their supplier is Poilane.

Narragansett, Rhode Island, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Best croissant!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I found this boulangerie to have the best croissant's in Paris. They are so flaky they almost fall apart in your hands. It was never toop crowded and the woman who worked the front desk was always pleasant. I went there every monring during my stay and was starting to feel a little silly by the end of the trtip but I couldn't resist!

Visited July 2012