“Le Yum!”

and up
Paris Night Bike Tour
Ranked #14 of 686 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular ice cream shop is located on Île St-Louis.
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had read rave reviews about Berthillion and had seen the long lines everytime I walked by but I never really cared to "follow the crowd". One day as I walked by, there were only 2 people in line so I joined in, got a double "boule", which, the "boules" are pretty tiny according to American standards, but the flavor was huge! Massive variety of flavors! I tried various flavors and they were all delicious. If you're nearby, do try it. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Mirella S

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Berthillon is now available around Paris so really there is no need to trek over to Ile St Louis . However, l"Ile itself is so charming that it adds to the whole experience of enjoying this ice cream at its original store on Rue St Louis en l'Ile.

The original store also has a good tea room, where you may enjoy a sweet treat other than ice cream, or buy some excellent jams and preserves. The ice cream is still the main attraction and deciding from a huge selection of flavours was quite hard. My personal favourites are Rum and Raisin, Cerise Noir and Mandarin.

The ice creams and sorbets are top quality and the taste and texture are clear evidence of that.
They also do some wonderful take away desserts all with an ice cream and/or sorbet base.

Since Ile St Louis is centrally located , I drop in for a scoop or two of Berthillon when I'm in the area, usually in the evening , walk down to the River Seine ice cream in hand and watch the sunset over Cathedrale Notre Dame. It always makes me feel wonderful.

3  Thank Roshni2011
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I'd give them the most credit for their imaginative combinations of flavors. The quality was certainly very high, but it's not above all others.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I read about Berthillon on TripAdvisor and elsewhere before going to Paris and thought it must be overrated. Wrong! I don't know what it is they do differently, but this ice cream was the best I have ever tasted, better than the gelato in Italy even. It was to die for - and I don't really even like ice cream all that much. The line was long but it was worth it, and the counter staff were very friendly and nice.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was a little over-hyped for me after reading all the TA reviews. We had 4 double-scoop ice cream with 8 different flavors (mine were rum raisin and exotic cocktail). They were all good but the scoop size was small. I also thought the staff was not very friendly. We were not the most decisive bunch (since there were many flavors) but there was not a long line behind us either.

My kids had ice cream at Amorino (a gelato place with multiple locations in Paris and other countries). They enjoyed that more. You can pick many flavors and they shape the gelato as rose petals. Staffs were friendlier. There was one not far from Berthillion (but we ate at the one at Rue Cler).

You should try once for the fame and judge yourself. BTW, Rue St. Louis-en-L'ile was a nice neighborhood to walk around with small unique shops so allow some time to stroll.

2  Thank Family_from_NJ