“Was closed”

$97.48*
Skip The Line Paris Catacombs Tour
Ranked #58 of 1,180 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A genuine labyrinth in the heart of underground Paris, the Catacombs were fitted out in the galleries of former quarries. Twenty metres underground, the ossuary houses the remains of approximately six million Parisians, gradually transferred between the end of the 18th century and the mid 19th century, as the capital's cemeteries were closed for health reasons. Along a tangle of dark galleries, visitors discover a presentation of death with bones arranged in a romantic macabre decor. This unique site is a moving testimony to the history of Parisians and invites visitors on a timeless journey.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I cannot actually review the inside because on the day I went it was ‘closed because of poor inside ventilation.’ I was upset because I really wanted to visit, but on second thought the fact that it has poor ventilation tells you something. It’s also VERY hard to locate – seriously. All maps show it as being right next to Denfert-Rocheau metro, but good luck finding it. There are no signs leading you there and the door is very small, dark, and has no signage out front. I walked in a circle for 40 minutes with a map before I finally spotted the door – it is directly ACROSS from the metro stop, not next to it.

3  Thank reviewit24u
There are newer reviews for The Catacombs

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Catacombs were one of the most interesting sites I saw in Paris on a previous trip! I loved them. I was so excited to return with my family and show them this site. We trekked all the way there, only to find a sign explaining that they were closed due to problems with the ventilation system! We were so disappointed!!!

However, I absolutely loved this site on a previous trip! Go see them if they are open during your visit!

2  Thank WanderPep
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I went to see this and they were closed. I wish they had put an announcement on their website as I made my way across town and was very disappointed.

6  Thank koala_traveller
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is my third trip to Paris and I wanted to take my boyfriend to the Catacombs because they're pretty darn cool. Thought I'd check online for hours and tariffs before going, and came across a review here which mentioned they were closed due to a ventilation issue.

Sure enough, we called them up on Monday 8 October to ask if they would be open on Tuesday 9 October, and the answer was no. (Thanks to that reviewer for the heads up!)

Today, 9 October, I saw another review up here perhaps suggesting they had re-opened, so I called again. We were told that the Catacombes will be closed for "at least two weeks" while works are going on, and that nobody has been down there for the past few days.

Real shame, becasue this is a great attraction. Cool story, cool sights. We ended up doing Les Egouts (the Sewers) instead. It was more smelly than creepy, but still eductional and worth a visit if you have an hour or so.

6  Thank JemBrisbane
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Not really worth the time nor price to enter. The curiousity compelled us to go, but for all the other extremely beautiful sites, this should be at the bottom of ones list. It was not a complete waste of time, just not what was expected.

1  Thank jazphan