“My new go-to hotel in Paris” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Jeanne d'Arc

Hotel Jeanne d'Arc
Ranked #400 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
California
“My new go-to hotel in Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

This was my first stay at the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc. I like to stay in the Marais, but my previous go-to hotel choice is too expensive these days (the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais). So I decided to try something new. I found the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc to be lovely. GREAT location, basic rooms, GREAT price, no complaints. And very accommodating. I was only supposed to spend 4 nights there and go on to Nice, but my Nice plans were canceled due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland. The staff at the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc was able to extend my stay with them for a full 17 nights, and it was wonderful. I couldn't have been happier. And as another reviewer noted who was in a similar predicament, the hotel did not jack up the prices for the extended stay and shuffling. This was much appreciated. I will definitely stay with the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc again on my next trip to Paris, as well as recommend them to friends and family. No question about it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank risamay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

We were stranded in Paris during the Iceland volcano eruption. Luckily the lady at Jeanne d"Arc informed us before we checked out of the hotel. They were very accommodating. Arranged for us to extend our stay at the hotel without jacking up the price for which I was very very glad.

No question was asked or additional charge incurred when we informed them on 22nd April that we got confirmed seats to fly out of Paris on 23rd April.

Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Dovje, Slovenia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I stayed here for a few nights in April. I booked it through the internet and everything went through flawlessly.

About the hotel... good... location, location, location. Its excellent. Close to the metro, close to superb restaurants, close to shopping area, walking distance to Notre dame, Louvre,... In total, hotel is a great value. 90 EUR for double is difficult to get in an expensive Paris. Also breakfast was good and great value, however apparently coffee tasted strange (i don't drink coffee, so i couldn't verify this). Staff was OK, helpful with advice. Free wireless internet is available (you get the code at the reception), however, it only works on a ground floor and maybe on the 1st floor. A computer with internet access is also freely available.

What didn't like was the room. It was clean enough, on a small size, well furnished, just... a view... well, i didn't expect a view for 90 EUR, but looking onto a shaft made the room very dark, and you couldn't tell what kind of weather is outside. The furniture looked outdated, but i really didn't mind. Unfortunately we weren't able to move, as the hotel was completely full... But... on the other hand, it was completely quiet.

My relatively bad mark goes only to the room, or better, to its "location". What i have seen majority of rooms they look onto the street, and have normal windows. These rooms are probably a good choice. But at the end of the day, how much time do you actually spend in the room?!?

Would I choose again the hotel? Yes. Hotel is a good value find in Paris. And some rooms are better than others. Unfortunately. They gave us one of less desired rooms nevertheless that i already reserved 6 months before...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

Stayed there in mid-April 2010 with two friends. I was the only guy, so I got the single (double bed) room on the 5th floor. The smell of fresh paint lingered through the week. The room was unremarkable--plain, very small bathroom, shower water regularly spilled onto the bathroom floor because of the size. Bath cabinet damaged. Wall plug didn't work. I awoke every morning to the sounds of the trash collectors gathering the trash bins (though I realize I was in a congested neighborhood--Bastille/Marais).

The professional staff was rather cold and unfriendly. Instead of a simple warm "Bonjour" or "How was yoru day" from time to time (which I would think would be rather routine in the hospitality business), nothing as you came or went.

One couple, who apparently reserved well in advance, were told when they arrived that because of the renovaitons, they 'd have to stay at another local hotel that the Hotel arranged. No price adjustment, etc., the staffer told the couple. They left, saw the hotel, and returned to tell Anne-Sophie that the hotel wasn't fit for their dog to stay. No apologize from the staff! I felt bad for them.

Apparently, they've been painting for months. I saw a review from Jan 2010 with the same complaint.

Overall, it was probalby a decent value, but not the kind of "great find" that some travel mag that I happened to see last year (can't recall) suggested!.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

Super location - 10 minutes stroll to the Seine, Ile de la Cité etc. Friendly helpful staff, nice and clean rooms in "an-above-average-Paris-size". Le Marais is a wonderful neighbourhood, full of life and good speciality shops. Absolutely recommendable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

I have just returned from a one week stay at this wonderful hotel. For the $ 124 a night they charge, you'd be hard pressed to find a better accomodation in Paris. I was lucky enough to book well ahead so I had a corner room, which was larger than the others, with double windows and views from the 5th floor. I saw the other rooms beside me, and they were quite small. The hotel is clean, the reception polite and professional, and the beds are very comfortable. The staff were nice enough to store a suitcase for me for two weeks while I took a side trip to Morocco. There is ample heating in winter if you have the valve on the radiator open, but there is no AC in summer. There is a nice flat screen TV with 20 channels mostly in French but there was CNN. The location is perfect for sightseeing in the 3rd,4th, and 5th arrondissements. There is a great bakery called Manon on the main blvd. and there are many asian restaurants that offer a tasty inexpensive alternative to fine dining. Be sure to try the amazing falafel at l'As du Fallafel on rue des Rosiers in the Jewish quarter. Subway access is either Saint Paul or Bastille.
Do not hesitate to book this hotel. You could do a lot worse in Paris for a lot more money.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paparufus
NY suburb
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

As other reviewers have mentioned, you cannot beat the location - right in the heart of the Marais. At 90 euros/night for 2 people, the price is certainly worth it. Our room was VERY sparse - not a photo on the wall and not a tissue to be had. The bathroom was renovated but as small a bathroom as I've ever been. The staff was OK. they answered questions but were not really helpful with recommendations. These are not complaints, just my view so you are not surprised when you arrive. It's no frills and worked for us so we could spend more on great dining in Paris. With the exchange rate weak, it all worked. Would I stay here again? It depends on how much more per night I'd have to spend for a higher quality hotel in the Marais.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple