“Great for Solo Travelers and Couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Jeanne d'Arc

Hotel Jeanne d'Arc
Ranked #386 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Tokyo, Japan
“Great for Solo Travelers and Couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Visiting Paris for the first time, I wanted a hotel that had fast access to the subways and a nice ambiance in and around the building. The single room is small and the shower is for small people, yes, but the double room, which I stayed in on my last day, is a significantly great value for its size and is so cozy. There are giant windows in the double room I had, and the beds are okay.

Everything outside of this hotel is ivory, making the striking contrast with the cool blue sky a spectacle to behold. Spending some time talking with the concierge will be well worth your while, for you will get a multitude of suggestions on things to do if you haven't planned it out by the time you've arrived.

Breakfast is worth the eight euros, but I suggest getting down to breakfast at around 8:00~8:30, as most people seem to arrive at 9.

Picking up and dropping off my rental scooter was an easy task, and the staff even stored my luggage for me while I was away. If you need a taxi, just walk around to the back of the hotel and cross the street to where the big red door is and you'll save yourself a few euros grabbing your own at the taxi stand.

Room Tip: Reserve early. Take the double room if you can secure it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank tariqlacy
georges C, Manager at Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
We like your comment that give us more strenght to continue our efforts. We always try to welcome our visitors from all around the world like if they were our friends. And our location is, as you say, so nice with the vibrant Marais area. Come back to see us and we will take care very much about you.
Georges C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

The location of this hotel was perfect, in the Marais. The price was also fairly good, we booked at last year's prices just before they were raised. We had a double room and also a single room. The single room on the second floor was unbelievably noisy at the top of the stairs. The sound of every door closing shut very loudly (fire doors?) and the noise coming up from the stairwell was unbearable. The room was well suited for a very heavy sleeper! The hotel staff did attempt to move me to another room but they were fully booked. Our double room on the 4th floor along a corridor further from other rooms was much quieter.

Also, this is a minor complaint: there was a sign in the single room (but not the double?) saying no picnicing allowed in the rooms, huh? Why can't I eat in my hotel room if I wish, I thought that was odd. And the lighting was awful, bare harsh light bulbs, again in the single room, not the double. I would not stay here again in a single room, primarily for the noise.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a quiet room away from the staircase and away from other rooms if possible.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alphabetsy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Had always wanted to stay at this hotel in the very heart of the cozy Marais. And at 81 euro (plus 8 for breakfast) it's still one of the great bargains in the city. I was taken by the idiosyncrasy of the decor - unique and very pleasing. Well-taken care of, excellent and helpful staff. Stephane advised me on one of the best meals I've had in Paris - L'Enoteca. The room was basic but nicely appointed, spacious, nice bathroom fixtures. Superb location. Standard breakfast with great coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Roscoplace
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend with my boyfriend, and this hotel was great for what we needed. It's on the lower end of the price spectrum (keep in mind that this is the Paris price spectrum, which is much higher than what most people are used to), but it's still a nice place to stay. It's quite charming, and it's located in the Marais, which is one of my favorite quartiers in Paris. Very close to the St. Paul metro, but even if it wasn't it's a really nice place to walk around. Very safe and clean, and the area isn't as touristy as some.

We stayed in two different rooms because we booked late and it happened to be the European heritage weekend. Both rooms were comfortable. Our first room, overlooking the street, was bigger and nicer though. We liked the bathroom and the view better. I want to say it was room 12, and the second was room 17 I think (not completely sure, but both were on the second level right above the ground floor). The second room was still comfortable, but it didn't have a view and the bathroom was smaller and not as nice. So get a room with a street view if you can! Don't worry about noise, I was surprised by how peaceful the street-view room was.

The breakfast they offered is an extra cost, and you can either take it in your room or in the breakfast room on the ground floor (which is pretty cute and has a nice view of the street). But overall, I would skip breakfast at the hotel and go to a boulangerie/patisserie for breakfast. You will save a ton of money and it will be exactly the same: coffee/hot chocolate/tea, baguette, and croissants. It's not that the breakfast is bad, it's enjoyable and delicious, but it's pretty basic and not necessarily worth the extra cost unless you want convenience.

Overall, I would stay here again (and I probably will).

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the street, especially a corner room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tfrey91
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

A very nice boutique hotel tucked away yet near great food and bus/train routes. The hotel is very clean, has a great breakfast for guests, and the staff is friendly and helpful. You might need to get used to the sound of the train. The hotel is situated close to useful transportation, be it a taxi or a bus or the train. It was the perfect place for me and my two girlfriends on our first trip to Paris. We would return to Hotel Jeanne d'Arc again! Bonjour ~~ .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Denise R
cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We love Le Marais and the Jeanne d'Arc had been recommended. Stayed for 3 nights in a 4 person room for 200 euro so it is very reasonable. The room was 'quaint' - good sized room but bath in the bedroom and loo soooo small you need to reverse in! Don't bother with the 8 euro breakfast - first morning we had to wait for half an hour because the lady hadn't turned up (it's only orange juice, coffee and some bread) and there ware lots of places which are nicer near by. We had a family of 5 on the floor above and their kids started at 5:30 so not very restful. Chap in charge was pretty grumpy.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and were woken by the family above. Go for the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank mark_spu
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Unfortunately our room was on the ground floor with no light at all and no air circulation. This was a disappointment since the rooms on the upper floors look lovely. The location is great, right in the heart of the Marais. Service was very friendly and the common areas are pretty charming. Price is fair - our room was of good size with a nice large bath. While the bath was nice, the other parts of the room were really dated. Paint was chipping on the walls and the beds were broken down. A mixed experience, too bad you can't reserve an actual room on the upper floor. I would not come back and stay on the ground.

Room Tip: Upper floors are a must, ground floor is very dark and stuffy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends