“Perfection - A wonderful birthday destination”

Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris
Ranked #27 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 10, 2010

George V is by far the best hotel in Paris. Beautiful rooms with lovely amenities. Polite service and spectacular location. This is the place to stay and our new Paris favourite. We have stayed in some of Paris' best known ones too.

My husband had told them it was my birthday and there was a magnificent chocolate cake and champagne in the room. We had a view of the eiffel tower! The gym and pool were wonderful and I wish that I had had time to make an appointment in the spa, because it looked amazing.

The room was quiet! They have obviously done wonders with their refurbishments, keeping the grand style of a French palace, but the modern amenities one expects in luxury hotels. Again, we have stayed in various luxury hotels in Paris and had real problems sleeping due to noise in hallways and adjoining rooms - this is not a problem at the Geirge V!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tania_Chris

Reviewed January 5, 2010

The room service for this hotel is excellent and I enjoy very much the food and wine list.
Maybe expensive for Paris and always busy tourist place but A+ still. Try you will like.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dane4life
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Four Seasons does it again! The hotel is impeccable. Just divine. The George V is traditional Paris and the Four Seasons delivers in every way. The gorgeous courtyard... the amazing lobby... the elegant and fabulous bar. Excellent location. Wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2009
3  Thank FromNYCtoTheWorld
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We had our wedding at George V, Salon Louis XIII on November 12th, 2009.
This hotel well deserves its reputation as being the number one Hotel of Paris (may be the world) in terms of its luxury and features. Therefore, I will not say more about the Hotel, I am writing this review about the service we got before and during our ceremony.

Please note that we live in Canada and we decided to have a destination wedding. At the beginning we didn’t have a clear idea about where we should have our wedding. We first thought of a Caribbean destination and hired a travel agency to organize it for us. We soon realized that although all the hotels provide wedding packages, none of the Hotel guaranteed us privacy (for the ceremony at the beach or gazebo) and special arrangement (at one of their restaurant) since they have to take care of other customers at the same time with their limited capacity.

Then, we decided to have it in Paris and we contacted many hotels and restaurants about our inquiry. We received replies from maybe 10% of the venues we contacted, and only one phone call, which was from George V.
Romy Zerah, Senior Assistant Catering Manager of George V called us shortly after our sending in our query. She wanted to have a better feeling of our dream wedding and how she could help us make it happen. At the beginning I thought that we would not able to organize our ceremony at this Hotel due to our limited budget. However, after a few phone calls and e-mails; Romy offered us a customized plan which suited all our needs and budget. Romy also took initiative to contact our wedding planner to make sure that the Officiant and Harpist were provided with adequate setting to perform comfortably.

On November 10th, we met Pauline Ehrhart, Conference Manager, at the Hotel and she reconfirmed all the details while giving us a tour of the Hotel and the Salon. On the wedding day, Pauline also welcomed us in front of the Hotel and she stayed with us until we left the hotel to make sure that everything went according to plan.

As for the ceremony, it was held in the Salon Louis XIII. This room was perfect for us in terms of size as we were a total of 23 people. It had a very impressive interior design and it was beautifully decorated for our event. The room setting was theatrical (two rows with one aisle) for the ceremony; and then later replaced with one long impressive dining table to enjoy champagne and wedding cake.

In addition, we noticed so many small but complementary details that added to our event. All the staff involved (from the moment we arrived until we left the hotel) was also exceptionally professional, helpful and friendly.

Therefore, I recommend this hotel for its very high standard in providing quality customer service along with its beauty, to everybody especially those who would like to organize their special event in Paris.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
15  Thank md1860
Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband took me away to Paris for a suprise weekend for our anniversary. I had mentioned years before that if we could ever stay in the Georges V I'd love it as I read that they are one of the best in the world for service. So it was a fantastic surprise that we were staying there. We had a corner suite which was very chic, very French. In the evening we had dinner in their 2 star restaurant. Elegant, chic, delicious food, impeccable service, quite an experience. I loved it. They take great pride in what they do and it really shows. It is such a treat to stay in a place like this, even if it is a once in a lifetime experience. We're still under 40 and also love younger hipper hotels, but for the experience of old time style and elegance, this is wonderful (though very very expensive).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bdsa
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I recently went to paris for 10 days and spent the entire time at the george v. It has everything you would expect for this class of property. A concierge showed me to my room and gave me the layout.

Everything was great, view etc, but for 15,000 us for 10 days you would probably expect that.

Pros:
-great location
-great food, the breakfast is awesome, however you need to arrive early if you want to eat breakfast in le cinq, that only happened 3 times in our 10 days. The other areas are sufficient but not quite at the level of le cinq.
-great spa and pool- a pool in paris, and it is amazing. I wish I had gone down to the spa earlier in my trip because i could have spent the entire time in that pool.
-great concierge in terms of reccomendations and reservations. Never had any problems getting in anywhere, however it was the end of november in a global recession so I'm not sure that we would have had trouble getting into places.
-the view from our room is probably the best i've ever stayed in my life.

cons:
-have to get up early to get into le cinq
-costs are pretty crazy, especially with the us dollar being so weak costs are just crazy
-i felt more warmth from the front office at four seasons geneva, maybe it's a smaller hotel but I did enjoy that. They were always nice and very professional but it felt more corporate professional type feel and I liked the more intimate feel in geneva, especially they greeted me by name etc.
-i did go out of my way to say that i'm going to be there for a long time so i would have thought that over time that would change, but pretty much you can stay 2 nights and 10 nights and the level of service isn't going to change and the level of friendliness of the staff isn't going to change. This could be by design, I'm sure many people would enjoy that.

Would I stay there again? I don't know. I really enjoyed the view and the food and all, but the cost is so excessive I think I would probably look around and then decide.

That being said you will never get a better view that this one.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank guy999
Reviewed December 7, 2009

The GeorgesV often recieved the 'best hotel in the world' accolade. This will give it an almost impossible task to follow.. Indeed, in many ways it may fulfill its title. But this will remain purely subjective, and even if it is the best hotel ever, it isn't my favourite, by any means.

My wife and I had wanted to try the GeorgesV for a while, due to all the positive feedback.
But having stayed in rival 'palace hotels' in Paris, I felt the GeorgesV lacked in that all Parisienne ambiance; this typical combination of chic, trendy, and cosiness, which can be found at the Plaza Athenee,(my personal favourite,) the Crillon, or even the ageing Ritz.

When you walk into the GeorgesV, you find yourself in possibly the most impressive foyer of any hotel in Paris. But it's a cold place. There is also every chance that you will mingle with office executives, with their names on a badge, leaving or going into a conference, something I have not seen in the other hotels I mentioned.

As it is the Christmas season, the usually very pretty flower displays have given way to possibly the ugliest Christmas decoration I have ever seen. It roughly consisted of two big piles of boxes, wrapped in garish gold and silver, with a few baubles hanging. My local supermarket does better than that! What is wrong with a real Christmas tree?

The deluxe room was spacious, and comfortable. Well decorated, though no antiques to be seen. A bit businessy and characterless for my taste.
The bathroom had nice marble features, though a single wash bassin, suprising for a double room. Huge, very nice shower, bath tub on the small side. Not generous with bathroom products; just the basic, no thrill Bulgarie shower-gel, shampoo, conditioner.
The great plus though, is that many rooms, including ours, have their own balcony/terrace, which in summer must be a great advantage. And I've only seen that in GeorgesV.

Just a word about prices here. They are eyewatering. Worst than in the other top Paris hotels. Half a bottle of their cheapest champagne; 70euros. The whole bottle? 120euros.
Incidentally, I went down to Hediard, the famous deli shop just next door to the hotel, and bought a bottle of their delicious champagne for about 34 euros. I'm sorry but I'm not going to be ripped off. There is a difference between very expensive, and stupidly expensive.
I would also skip dinner; the beautiful setting does not really justify the 600 euro dinner for two; especially since the cuisine of the restaurant, which is losing its Michelins stars, frankly fails to impress.
There are nicer restaurants in the immediate area, for less than a third of the price. Might as well just enjoy the dinning room for breakfast, which is excellent.

Now as far as the general level of service is concerned, well, in a word : impeccable.
I have to hand it to Four Seasons; they really know what quality of service mean. From the checking in with the desk manager who shook my hand, houskeeping who will cater for all your needs in a flash, (it took them three minutes to bring me a tooth-brush), the employees who knew your name, to the doormen. As an anecdote, when we checked out, the doorman saw my embarassement when he opened the back of my car, to see one of their umbrellas I forgot to return. 'Please keep it sir', he said, 'let this be a souvenir of your stay with us'... Such a nice man.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple