“What an amazing Hotel for a Romantic Weekend”

Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris
Ranked #19 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
London
“What an amazing Hotel for a Romantic Weekend”
Reviewed December 22, 2009

My husband took me away to Paris for a suprise weekend for our anniversary. I had mentioned years before that if we could ever stay in the Georges V I'd love it as I read that they are one of the best in the world for service. So it was a fantastic surprise that we were staying there. We had a corner suite which was very chic, very French. In the evening we had dinner in their 2 star restaurant. Elegant, chic, delicious food, impeccable service, quite an experience. I loved it. They take great pride in what they do and it really shows. It is such a treat to stay in a place like this, even if it is a once in a lifetime experience. We're still under 40 and also love younger hipper hotels, but for the experience of old time style and elegance, this is wonderful (though very very expensive).

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bdsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I recently went to paris for 10 days and spent the entire time at the george v. It has everything you would expect for this class of property. A concierge showed me to my room and gave me the layout.

Everything was great, view etc, but for 15,000 us for 10 days you would probably expect that.

Pros:
-great location
-great food, the breakfast is awesome, however you need to arrive early if you want to eat breakfast in le cinq, that only happened 3 times in our 10 days. The other areas are sufficient but not quite at the level of le cinq.
-great spa and pool- a pool in paris, and it is amazing. I wish I had gone down to the spa earlier in my trip because i could have spent the entire time in that pool.
-great concierge in terms of reccomendations and reservations. Never had any problems getting in anywhere, however it was the end of november in a global recession so I'm not sure that we would have had trouble getting into places.
-the view from our room is probably the best i've ever stayed in my life.

cons:
-have to get up early to get into le cinq
-costs are pretty crazy, especially with the us dollar being so weak costs are just crazy
-i felt more warmth from the front office at four seasons geneva, maybe it's a smaller hotel but I did enjoy that. They were always nice and very professional but it felt more corporate professional type feel and I liked the more intimate feel in geneva, especially they greeted me by name etc.
-i did go out of my way to say that i'm going to be there for a long time so i would have thought that over time that would change, but pretty much you can stay 2 nights and 10 nights and the level of service isn't going to change and the level of friendliness of the staff isn't going to change. This could be by design, I'm sure many people would enjoy that.

Would I stay there again? I don't know. I really enjoyed the view and the food and all, but the cost is so excessive I think I would probably look around and then decide.

That being said you will never get a better view that this one.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank guy999
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 7, 2009

The GeorgesV often recieved the 'best hotel in the world' accolade. This will give it an almost impossible task to follow.. Indeed, in many ways it may fulfill its title. But this will remain purely subjective, and even if it is the best hotel ever, it isn't my favourite, by any means.

My wife and I had wanted to try the GeorgesV for a while, due to all the positive feedback.
But having stayed in rival 'palace hotels' in Paris, I felt the GeorgesV lacked in that all Parisienne ambiance; this typical combination of chic, trendy, and cosiness, which can be found at the Plaza Athenee,(my personal favourite,) the Crillon, or even the ageing Ritz.

When you walk into the GeorgesV, you find yourself in possibly the most impressive foyer of any hotel in Paris. But it's a cold place. There is also every chance that you will mingle with office executives, with their names on a badge, leaving or going into a conference, something I have not seen in the other hotels I mentioned.

As it is the Christmas season, the usually very pretty flower displays have given way to possibly the ugliest Christmas decoration I have ever seen. It roughly consisted of two big piles of boxes, wrapped in garish gold and silver, with a few baubles hanging. My local supermarket does better than that! What is wrong with a real Christmas tree?

The deluxe room was spacious, and comfortable. Well decorated, though no antiques to be seen. A bit businessy and characterless for my taste.
The bathroom had nice marble features, though a single wash bassin, suprising for a double room. Huge, very nice shower, bath tub on the small side. Not generous with bathroom products; just the basic, no thrill Bulgarie shower-gel, shampoo, conditioner.
The great plus though, is that many rooms, including ours, have their own balcony/terrace, which in summer must be a great advantage. And I've only seen that in GeorgesV.

Just a word about prices here. They are eyewatering. Worst than in the other top Paris hotels. Half a bottle of their cheapest champagne; 70euros. The whole bottle? 120euros.
Incidentally, I went down to Hediard, the famous deli shop just next door to the hotel, and bought a bottle of their delicious champagne for about 34 euros. I'm sorry but I'm not going to be ripped off. There is a difference between very expensive, and stupidly expensive.
I would also skip dinner; the beautiful setting does not really justify the 600 euro dinner for two; especially since the cuisine of the restaurant, which is losing its Michelins stars, frankly fails to impress.
There are nicer restaurants in the immediate area, for less than a third of the price. Might as well just enjoy the dinning room for breakfast, which is excellent.

Now as far as the general level of service is concerned, well, in a word : impeccable.
I have to hand it to Four Seasons; they really know what quality of service mean. From the checking in with the desk manager who shook my hand, houskeeping who will cater for all your needs in a flash, (it took them three minutes to bring me a tooth-brush), the employees who knew your name, to the doormen. As an anecdote, when we checked out, the doorman saw my embarassement when he opened the back of my car, to see one of their umbrellas I forgot to return. 'Please keep it sir', he said, 'let this be a souvenir of your stay with us'... Such a nice man.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank travellingKoalas
Chicago
Reviewed December 5, 2009

Amazing hotel in a great part of Paris! The staff was extremely friendly from the moment we arrived until the last second of checking out. We found the room duplex suite to spacious and luxurious. The views of the Eiffel Tower were spectacular. The concierge does an amazing job of helping out with tours, and restaurants. The bartenders in the bar were extremely friendly and outgoing. I wish they were more outgoing when it came to offering up the car service but other than that it was the perfect weekend getaway.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rtschye
North East
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is an excellent hotel in a very nice location but it is very, very expensive.

The public areas are very clean and beautiful although in terms of decor it lacks a little charm. In fact (owned by a Saudi Prince) it looks like an Arabian Palace trying to be a Parisian hotel.

The the room was very nice, if not slightly formed. Linen very good and the bathroom was excellent although standard for most FS I've stayed in.

This hotel is very much the head of the luxury set in Paris although maybe I think the Plaza Atenee is better.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank anton1966
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 23, 2009

An absolutely wonderful hotel. Plush, chic and very classy. The services rendered was superb. Food, location and service staffs are top notch. Be prepared to be pampered and pay big bucks for the ultimate indulge.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank JuliPurrz
New York, NY
Reviewed November 23, 2009

The Four Seasons Paris is simply heaven on earth - it is a stunning, luxurious, grand hotel with impeccable customer service. We went for my 40th birthday and the hotel did not disappoint. Upon arrival, there was a bottle of champagne, a small chocolate cake and a handwritten note from the manager welcoming us. Yes, we paid dearly for this hotel, but we experienced what has to be the industry's gold standard. Professional, friendly, warm staff always looking to go above and beyond for guests. A large, comfortable bed with down comforter and crisp clean sheets. A huge, spotless marble bathroom with tub, shower, 2 sinks and Bulgari toiletries. Soundproof windows and dark drapes so you can get a solid night's sleep.

What I loved the most was the customer service and the plush, opulent feel of the hotel.

The location off Champs Elysees was convenient to the Metro, but it felt a bit like a business neighborhood. (I would have preferred it to be on the Left Bank or a more interesting neighborhood.)

If you can afford this splurge for a special occasion, I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple