“Met our expectations, but did not exceed them.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris

Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris
Ranked #19 of 1,794 Hotels in Paris
Alberta
“Met our expectations, but did not exceed them.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hotel itself is lovely. Rooms are standard four seasons quality, nothing too over the top in terms of decor.

Room service was excellent. Spa was small, but good.

The real place where I felt the hotel fell a bit short was the concierge desk. A huge part of the reason I book at a four seasons chain is due to the competence of their concierge prior to the trip in terms of advice and bookings at restaurants. This is the one and only time I was disappointed in the services of the concierge. There is some restaurant info on their website which is extensive and overwhelming and one bit of advice I would share with them is to change the wording on the concierge comments prefacing this information. It states something about hotel guests "asking that annoying question - is it good" when referring to a restaurant recommendation. Hmm. That is a no no - and I hoped it was a bad translation, because to use the word annoying is never a good thing when your very purpose is to assist travelers with their plans. That is a huge part of why people book these properties and pony up the cash to pay for them. Is this not the entire purpose of a concierge? I truly debated changing hotels after reading that because it set a bad tone before we even got to the hotel. Based on our past visits to other four seasons hotels I forged on and chalked it up to a misunderstanding of how rude the statement sounded.

So I can now report the concierge services were polite, perfunctory and adequate with the one exception of restaurant recommendations. I opted to research and choose my own restaurants, neither of which they were able to secure. Okay, so they don't have any pull in getting their guests into top restaurants, fine. I then chose an additional couple of restaurants which they booked for me again in a perfunctory manner - sending me forms to complete and return. I requested they recommend only one "casual non formal" restaurant in the hotel area for our first night and received an email back with a referral back to their extensive list of restaurants described by a laundry list of contradictory adjectives they use to categorize restaurants such as:

atmosphere : lively/popular, quiet/romantic, trendy/hip
cuisine : traditional, creative
mood : elegant/formal, smart casual
Decor : Contemporary, Classic, Authentic

Really? What is the difference between lively/popular and trendy/hip? or Classic and Authentic.

No explanations are provided for what these words actually mean and still no recommendations for a casual non-formal restaurant in the area. This is where I did an eye roll and just made my own plans without their involvement. It felt as though they were only there to perform the actual booking and were reluctant to direct you to an actual recommendation or two within your parameters.

In summary, a nice hotel I would maybe consider visiting again, but I would not rule out looking at other options, especially since I felt I had to do most of the leg work on my own in terms of the planning of restaurants. I expect more of a concierge at a top property.

3 Thank noname36
mntrParis, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for your tripadvisor comment regarding your stay at the Four Seasons Hotel George V!
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the rooms and spa!
However I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the concierge. I really can understand your disappointment.
I would like to assure you that we constantly strive to achieve only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality and I truly regret that we fell short of our goals.
I would very much appreciate if you could get in contact with me at your convenience to further discuss about your experience.

Mélanie Baum
Director of Rooms
melanie.baum@fourseasons.com
tel: +33 (0) 1 49 52 70 22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The location is just awesome all the major shopping attractions,eiffel tower,jetty for the river cruise all are at a close walking distance. The rooms are classically designed. The breakfast was amazing one of the best I ever had. Service is gr8. All in all a gr8 hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AshishBansal10
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment regarding your stay at the Four Seasons Hotel George V! We are delighted to read that you had a memorable time among us!

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

A hotel which has maintained its standards. The attention to detail is very apparent and the staff are most helpful and considerate. Although expensive, it provides a quality and memorable experience.

2 Thank Franklin54_13
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and it is a great reward to read that for you "the attention to detail is very apparent and the staff are most helpful and considerate."
We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again soon at the Four Seasons Hotel George V.

Emsworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to the George V for a glass of champagne and managed to get a seat in the courtyard. Beautiful Lobby and throughout. The courtyard was really well presented with Orchids dangling with precision from wires (never seen that before). Prices are steep as is to be expected of reputedly one of the best, if not the best hotel in Paris. 25 euros for a glass of champagne, but hey you're only on a Honeymoon once. Service was perfect and they took photos for us too. Felt very comfortable as we had dressed up for the day knowing we might go there, but would not go there in Jeans. You could as one guy had done, but its much nicer if you've made an effort. If you're able to afford it, then make it part of your itinerary. Just off the Champs Elysees, on the road that Louis Vitton is on the corner of.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gingamonkey1

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel was everything and more we had hoped for. The staff were so kind, helpful and considerate. Whilst the hotel's public rooms and bedrooms are stunningly furnished, it was the attitude of the staff that made the holiday perfect. Every small request or query was dealt with immediately and efficiently. Our wedding anniversary was celebrated with a stunning cake and, of course, champagne in our room. We cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms at this hotel are substantial and immaculately furnished so you will not be disappoint...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian H
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Recognition is very important to us and we are delighted to see that we exceeded your expectation on that manner. Furthermore, we are glad to read that you enjoyed the kindness of our staff, the rooms and the champagne.

Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and it was as good then as now - nothing was too much trouble and the attention to detail was amazing. It certainly isn't cheap but pure luxury costs - worth every centime.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor - marvellous view of the Eiffel Tower.
2 Thank LBMKSurrey
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at the Four Seasons Hotel George V!
We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and it is a great reward to read that for you "attention to detail was amazing".

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel exudes elegance and charm. I had the pleasure of staying here for a long weekend recently and my memories of this beautiful hotel will stay with me forever. Tastefully decorated, incredibly well managed and impeccably staffed, this hotel is the epitome of class. The food was beautifully presented and served and what a wonderful wine list! Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helena365
fsgeorgev, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel George V Paris, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We always try to do our best to make sure our guests have the best experience while staying with us and it is a great reward to read that for you " my memories of this beautiful hotel will stay with me forever".