“If you like to see history in paintings , try this”

Musee Carnavalet - Histoire de Paris
Ranked #88 of 1,268 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Carnavalet Museum is dedicated to the history of Paris and its inhabitants and has collections illustrating the evolution of the city from prehistory through to the present day. A vast array of works of art, relics and models are displayed in 100 or so rooms, showing the capital at various periods in history and evoking intellectual and everyday life. Magnificent restored historical scenery creates an evocative setting for a stroll through the centuries in an enriching, delightful visitor experience.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

It tells the history of Paris , based on paintings and drawings made in those days . They didn't had anything on the Paris Commune though , at least , I couldn't find it . Some parts of the museum are closed between 11.45 and 14.30 , why I wouldn't know . But it's one of the free Paris museums , so I didn't mind .

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

stumbled on this walking in the Marais. Wonderful city mansion is more interesting for its architecture than its contents but definitely worth a visit

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was personally a little disappointed by my visit. A number of factor might have contributed to that and if theory can be avoided by others it might make the visit More rewarding. First of all I do not read or speak French but all the notes on the exhibits were unilingual only. Renting an audio guide in English might help. I visited at midday, but many of rooms were closed between 11:30 and 14:00, presumably because the staff were away taking their lunch breaks. Visiting in winter also meant that the gardens were bare.

I am of course not complaining and walking around the immediate area was interesting. Nevertheless I hope that sharing my experience might helpothers in planning a visit to Carnavalet. Good luck!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

To do this museum justice I would allot a whole day. So many beautiful paintings and original furnishings. I would choose this over The Louvre, Orsay or Petit Palais if you can only do one.

1  Thank BlueSkyRedEarth100
Reviewed January 31, 2013

In past trips to Paris I had focused on the art museums, but on this trip I wanted to visit more of the history museums. Carnavalet is a lovely visit. There is no fee to get in, which is shocking in Paris, and the exhibits are very interesting. I speak French and was able to translate for my friend, so that helped. I'm not sure what the support is for those who don't speak French. The section on the French Revolution was particularly fascinating.