“The best museum in the world for sculptures and paintings”
Review of Louvre Museum

Ranked #3 of 1,253 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, the Louvre is considered the world's greatest art museum, with an unparalleled collection of items covering the full spectrum of art through the ages.
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This 12th century museum is the best museum in the world for sculptures and paintings not only from France but from round the world. It has incredible sculptures of the human form, displaying the finery of emotions and clothes along with wrinkles sculpted in marble and other stones. Sculptures from France, Italy, Greece, Egypt and other countries adorn the museum. Venus is among the most famous ones in sculptures and Mona Lisa in paintings.

The musum entry is very nice and open with a glass pyramid through which one enters and sitting space. You can also dip your feet in water around the fountain at the entrance/exit to remove your fatigue coming out after the long walk in the museum admiring the sculptures and paintings.

There are four floors in the museum. We could just skip through the second floor and were not able to see the full floor in most of the floors in the four hours that we spent inside. You must keep at least half a day for the museum in order to get a feel of the museum. You could spend much more time if you are an art addict. There is a restaurant within the museum to rest and have some snacks.

All in all, one of the star attractions of Paris and the world.

Write a ReviewReviews (80,609)

Reviewed June 15, 2010

You must visit the Louvre when in Paris, but I agree with other posters...have somewhat of a plan before you go. I have been several times, and still get confused. DO NOT get the audioguide. We have tried these a few times, but they usually don't work. You can exchange them during your visit, but it's a long way back to the audioguide desk to do that and you might have to return them several times (ask me how I know). Once you rent them, you can't get your money back, even when they don't work. They just give you a new one, no matter how many times you have to return them. Also, make sure you don't leave any possessions anywhere. My friend accidentally forgot a bag with chocolate, her hat and umbrella in the bathroom there. When she realized it and went back for it, it was gone. She went to the info desk and they told her they had it. The bag was there with her hat, but the chocolate and umbrella were gone. We assume someone in the lost and found took the stuff from the bag since the log at the info desk listed it was a bag with chocolate, and why would someone bother to turn in a plastic bag with just an old cap in it.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

If you love museums. This is the place to go and see. From the entrance to the exit, every step has a picture opportunity. I have heard that is just overrated and that it is too 'touristee' but I enjoyed it. I also went to Paris in the second week of November. If you don't like walking it has an escalator. I loved every section.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I've heard people claim the Louvre is overrated. This is ridiculous. I agree that most art is overrated, but as a museum the Louvre just about holds something for everyone. The most impressive collection of art and artifacts I've ever seen, I spent literally 8 hours here, in awe of the things the galleries hold. Make a plan, as it's massive and easy to get lost in.

Reviewed May 18, 2010

We visited the Louvre in early May and were exhausted by the time we left. Not only because of the museum's size but its confusing layout and huge crowds also add to the stress as well.

We went just after it opened on a Monday and got right in through the main pyramid entrance. If you go later in the day or on a weekend, use the other entrances mentioned in other reviews. What slows the line down is not buying tickets (there is a separate line for that once you get inside), but going through the metal detectors set up before you descend the escalators.

Even though having a museum pass does not get you through the metal detectors quicker, it does save you time in the line for tickets, which was quite long when we entered. We were glad we had the pass.

The museum itself is divided into three wings. The Denon wing contains most of the famous paintings (Mona Lisa, Raft of the Medusa, Liberty Leading the People) and the Venus de Milo and Winged Victory. It also contains what is left of the French royal jewels in the Apollo room, which we really enjoyed seeing as well.

As one would expect, the Denon wing is by the far the most crowded wing. What we found most annoying would be the large tour groups who would block other people’s access around the museum and paintings. There were also some tour groups that found it acceptable to push their way forward as well.

I highly recommend Rick Steve’s tour of the Denon wing in his guidebook. This will help you see what you need to see in the Denon wing without going insane and give you a little bit of background on what you are seeing as well. It took us about 3 hours to do his tour.

Although we were tired by this point, we did go to the Richelieu wing to see the Napoleon III apartments, which are definitely worth seeing. After this we were exhausted.

If I had to visit the Louvre again, I would go in the evening to the Denon wing when the museum is open late (Wednesday or Friday night until 9:45). We did this for the Orsay museum and not only was it not very crowded but there were no tour groups in the evening as well. Then, I would go on another day and visit the items in the two other wings that interest me.

Overall, no visit to Paris is complete without visiting the Louvre. This is one of the world’s great art museums and some of the most famous paintings in the world are located here. Just be prepared to be exhausted by the time you are done.

7  Thank Jason P