“Gorgeous”

Ranked #5 of 1,314 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Home to Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, the Louvre is considered the world's greatest art museum, with an unparalleled collection of items covering the full spectrum of art through the ages.
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The grounds were so gorgeous and incredible that my little girl thought that was it! We didn't get to explore the entire museum, because my little miss did get bored after a couple of hours, but we did get to see the Mona Lisa and Winged Victory and that feeling of being so close to these masterpieces was amazing. You cannot go to Paris and skip the Louvre. You just can't.

Write a ReviewReviews (84,374)
All reviews
in 2,500 reviews
"paintings"
in 4,605 reviews

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Encyclopedic in its scope, imbedded in a centuries old royal palace, its is an place worthy of multiple carefully planned and prepared visits. Crowds can be daunting so try evenings and early arrivals. Best to really choose your favored time periods and artists and work through those choices, by mapping out your visit. Exceptional albeit daunting.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came from the subway and for some reason didn't have to wait in line at all besides at the security check.

There's so much to see that you really need a plan and choose the essential pieces. Rooms with the star attractions are crowded so it's best to come early. We spent like 7-8 hours and still skipped a lot.

1  Thank Lasse L
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Well organized facility and i would suggest using the Audio-Tapes. Do plan on @ least 4 hours as there are so many great items to be viewed.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 20, 2012

It's the Louvre and you feel like an idiot for going to Paris and not seeing it, but it really isn't worth the effort.

I used my museum pass the first time I went (5pm Friday night) and entered through the Richilieu entrance. Super fast, no waiting. THEN the delays started. I waited in line for over 10 minutes (I was second in line) to buy a ticket for an audioguide because the girl in the booth was busy talking to her friend. Then I went to the coat check and then the bathroom and then got my audioguide and my map. After being there 30 min I was ready to see some art. I was having some trouble with my audio guide and asked one of the staff who keeps an eye on people and he was quite dismissive, almost rude. I understand that they deal with huge amounts of people every day but if you can't handle it - get another job.

There is A LOT of art here. It is a huge museum and many parts of it are not laid out for easy visiting. Take a pen to keep track of when you've been. Ideally, figure out what you want to see before you get there. Because the collections are so large you truly become desensitized to the beauty of what you are seeing. One Italian sculpture is amazing, 3 are beautiful but 17 galleries of them are a bit of overkill.

Art is completely subjective so I won't comment on the contents of the exhibits except that there are many works of art for each category.

If you want to see the Mona Lisa just be patient. There will be a horde of people in front of the painting. Join the back of the horde and eventually you will work your way up to the front. Yes you can take pictures - no flash of course.

My first visit was 4 hours long and I did about 70% of the museum. My second visit was unfortunately also on Friday night. I did not realize until it was too late that the rooms close on a regular schedule and the rooms that I couldn't see the first Friday night would also be closed the second Friday night (and every Friday night in the foreseeable future). If there is something on your "must see" list, make sure it won't be closed for cleaning the time you plan to go.

I entered through the carousel, (the entrance stairs are just to the side of the small arch) and again no waiting. I easily finished the museum in another 2.5 hours. It actually would have taken much less time but I was waiting for a friend so I took my time. The staff were more friendly on this occasion and I left with a better impression than on my first visit.

Be sure to notice some of the architecture in the galleries. It often outshines the art itself. The Apollo Gallery is stunning.

Overall, it's a lot of work so if you're not a huge classical art fan you can truly skip it and find something else to do.