All reviewsmarais districtrooms are smallnotre damecharming hotelsoft boiled eggextra coffeeshower curtainfront facingcroissantssaint paulstreet facing roomwriting deskpain au chocolateparisian experiencetop floorperfect locationbreakfast room
Reviewed October 9, 2006

Very Romantic Hotel in a great location, decorated with antiques, the rooms have exposed beams and you really feel like you are in Paris. We had a street facing room which allowed us to eat breakfast on the balcony and soak up the street scene below, but the windows were thick enough to keep the noise out at night.

But what really seperates the hotel from the rest is the service and attention to detail the the hotel provides, the hotel might be a little on the expensive side for the star rating but it is worth it.

Only minus is It is a little difficult to get to from the metro if you have much luggage and plan on taking the metro you might want to choose a hotel closer to a RER station.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
15  Thank fogetmylogin
Reviewed September 16, 2006

I stayed at the Caron de Beaumarchais in the middle of winter 2003. I'd previously stayed at a small property on the Ile St. Louis and at a larger (maybe 30+ room) property in the 5th. Sure, the website for this hotel is super charming and alluring. I assumed it would be hard for any small hotel to live up to that without charging an arm and a leg so I leveled my expectations and ended up very pleased.
I made my reservation request for a frontside room by emailing them directly using their website. They promptly wrote back with a room proposal that they had only a courtyard room available. I accepted and asked to be switched to a frontside room if one became available. Upon my arrival they said a frontside room was now available, but I must have suddenly gotten overcome with cheapness as I stuck with the courtyard room, which really wasn't that much less expensive anyhow! However I was really surprised and impressed that they'd kept all my correspondence and had a record of my original request.

This is a very small hotel and very homey but in a more formal French way, not homey in the "casual" American way. My experience was that you need to to conform to how they do some things rather than expect them to cater to your every whim, and realize that the customer is not considered "always right" in many other cultures. I found the desk persons to be courteous and even helpful when I needed their assistance to make a dinner reservation.

Behind the desk the guidebooks are piled up. You can just ask to see them and they'll let you take them up to your room. As others have mentioned, the lobby is not really a seating area, as the picture might imply. That's the one downside of this small property: no common gathering/sitting area if you feel in need of a space larger or more open than your room. But you can't have everything, can you! Do what the French do and go to a cafe.

Yes, the courtyard room is very small (second to the smallest room I've had in Paris) and dark because the courtyard doesn't let in much light (but it is not just a light well--believe me I've seen what a light well really is). I'd pay the extra for a frontside room next time. And if I needed to open the windows I wouldn't expect it to be quiet; hardly any Parisian hotels facing the street are unless they're way out in a sleepy part of town. This hotel is in a wonderful hopping area with activity right outside the doorstep.

Bathroom was clean, contemporary, typical Parisian small size, and provided Edouard et Gallet Extra Vielle bath gel when I was there (my favorite E+G scent). I enjoyed the tub for soaking after a lot of Paris walking.

The continental breakfast was excellent here and by far my favorite Paris-hotel breakfast (I always check them out because I'm lazy and like to eat and have coffee before going out if it's any good). And on wintry Paris mornings when you might want to eat at your hotel before braving the chill instead of going down the street to grab something, a great hotel breakfast is a wonderful experience. The coffee was excellent by French standards. They juiced oranges for my glass upon seeing me arrive in the breakfast area. The croissants were about the best I've had in Paris, the flaky type not the spongy type, both plain and chocolate. There was plain yogurt and I think they asked if I wanted an egg boiled.

The breakfast room was the typical downstairs cavelike location but it didn't feel like it. To warm the space, it was cheerily lit and had nicely soothing but not moody classical music playing. I could always find a paper to read (foreign language). I couldn't think of a better way to start the day.

I am rating this hotel based on my overall experience, not on whether it's a 4-star or 5-star property. Clearly a small family hotel is not the Crillon or a Four Seasons. I enjoy the small hotels of Paris. I loved my stay at this hotel and have recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled solo
37  Thank parisencore
Reviewed September 6, 2006

Our stay at Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais began somewhat inauspiciously.

Moments after we stepped onto the prettily maintained lobby floor of the hotel, our 7-yr. old daughter -- already feeling somewhat airsick from our flight across the Atlantic -- was overcome with a more significant (and surprisingly “productive”) bout of motion sickness thanks (a lot!) to our taxi driver, who gave us a jostling, seat-sliding ridel from CDG Airport...

To our surprise and relief, the gentlemen at the desk -- who’d stood up to greet us warmly seconds earlier -- went on to meet the situation with surprising aplomb (given the circumstances laid before him, a reflexive “Oh!”, eyes wide, alone, are no marks against aplomb I say). While my wife and I hurriedly rushed our daughter to the nearest restroom, he disappeared into a back room for a mop and towels, and returned to do the cleaning deed, all the while with reassuring courtesy.

The rest of our visit could only get better from there, we thought, and it did.

Very gratefully, we received our key -- attached to a large, hefty and unwieldy key fob in the European (?) manner -- and rose toward our room in a charmingly tiny (from an American OTIS perspective), seemingly antiquated lift.

My wife and (now “relieved”) daughter expressed delight, much to my satisfactions, as we entered the room (“It’s so pretty”; “It’s so Parisian” or some expression or other like that) and saw it decorated in what, I imagine, one might be called “idyllic French.” Patch-work duvets over our two small beds; rich wooden headboards; a vase filled sparsely, but tastefully, with long-stemmed country flowers on a side table, beneath the curtained window; roughly-hewn beams of good girth (8x10s?), supporting and setting off the white ceiling above with dark brown, aged black.

We opened the window latch and could see the narrow, shop-lined street below, as we took in a welcome evening breeze..

We were lucky enough to stay at this charming and welcoming hotel for several days before we left for the second leg of our journey to Lyon. We speak very little French (with emphasis on very), but the bilingual staff was able to help us with directions and suggestions gladly and without difficulty.

As our room was mite cozy for our family of three, it would probably accept a larger party only grudgingly, but certainly a couple just fine and most romantically.

The location of the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais was convenient, with shops, restaurants and the subway all within walking distance. To top it off, the price was right as well.
Highly recommended !

P.S. For our return flight, we could not find any Dramamine, but did manage to find the French equivalent aptly (if not quite creatively) named “Nause-calm” at an apothicaire.
Also highly recommended !

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
17  Thank kkiy
Reviewed August 9, 2006

My husband and I tried to book a room at this hotel for our honeymoon. I contacted the hotel through its website and used its online form to request a reservation. In response, I received an e-mail response from the hotel that "proposed" a reservation and required that I "confirm" the reservation with my credit card information.

I submitted my credit card info. So far, so good, right? Wrong.

The hotel then sent me an e-mail telling methat it had not received my credit card info. I responded by telling them I'd already sent my info and asking them if they had received it. They replied no, but "may be in few times", which I took to mean there might be some delay, and then told me that, when it received the information, it would "reconfirm" my reservation.

I didn't hear from the Hotel again before I left for my trip. After several days, I got fed up and made other arrangements. Unfortunately, the hotel had received my credit card info, after all, and charged me for one night's stay as a "no show." Upon my return, I found e-mails sent by the hotel the night before we had originally intended to stay there, asking me to "reconfirm" my reservation and telling me it would "reconfirm" my reservation in return.

Needless to say, I disputed the charges with my credit card company, and after a lengthy process was told the hotel's bank denied my request. So I'm out almost two hundred bucks (plus the cost of the other room), all for a room I didn't use.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank AnnaO
Reviewed August 9, 2006

I stayed at The Caron de Beaumarchais with 3 friends, we booked 2 single rooms and 1 double,for 3 nights and all were ready waiting for us when we arrived. The rooms were all lovely, quite small, but perfectly formed. Very comfortable, with a great bathroom. Lovely reception with pieces of furniture, perfect for the theme. I would recommend the area also, many bars and great restaurants.

All in all, a great find!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends