All reviewsmarais districtrooms are smallnotre damecharming hotelsoft boiled eggextra coffeeshower curtainfront facingcroissantssaint paulstreet facing roomwriting deskpain au chocolateparisian experiencetop floorperfect locationbreakfast room
Reviewed December 6, 2005

Le Caron de Beaumarchais is a great hotel if you're after a pretty, charming place right in the heart of Le Marais. It's in a town house and really close to many of the best bits of Paris, we easily walked to the Louvre,Notre Dame and the Bastille and even made it up to Montmatre and back. Don't be put off by their website which seems rather kitsch with its funny Georgian figures and chinzy style furniture. There are period style furnishings but the rooms are not overly cluttered, they are stylish and sweet and nice and clean.

The reception has a little fire which was burning real logs when we stayed, (it was freezing). A harp (!), piano and card table. This could be naff but somehow it just isn't. We were checked in by the manager crossing our name off the notepad! No need for computer systems!

We stayed in room 60 for a reduced rate because it's slightly smaller than the other rooms, it is on the top floor which had lovely views BUT it is also on the same floor as the maid's closet. So she rocks up at about 7am everymorning to take all her sheets etc out which is a suprizingly noisy activity. The only tiny niggle from a brilliant stay.

Check out Le place du Marche de St Catherine for really, really great bistrots. Le Petit Fer Au Cheval is also good, and the chairs in their bistrot are wooden ones that used to be on the metro.

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank ladygrey
Reviewed October 16, 2005

After receiving a strong recommendation from our friends, my husband and I booked a five night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Paris. Although nothing overtly knocked our socks off (except for its wonderful location in the heart of le Marais), everything about our stay was perfectly pleasant. We had a street facing room on the fifth floor with a sliver of a balcony which was nice if we wanted to open the doors, view the scene below or sit and have a drink before going out. The room was small by American standards but easily accommodated us, our luggage and all the items we bought while there! More over, the room was charming and clean with a very french feel of floral fabrics, rustic wooden beams on the ceiling and a little crystal chandeler. The bath was modern and spotless. (We didn't need heat nor a/c so I can't review those.) And we never heard our next door neighbors once they closed their doors. The only improvements I would make to the room are: have one or two english speaking tv channels other than CNN International (which is lesser quality than US CNN.)OR a music source; and improve the firmness of the bed slightly. (I know there is not much that can be done about the sizes of the beds over there.) The tv by the way is a small flat screen in the upper corner of the room. Very unobstrusive.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. The lobby leant itself to the feel of someone's den or library as opposed to a formal hotel lobby. Very relaxed and almost slightly worn but again, very french in feel and vibe. What I could not get a firm grasp of from my friend who recommended the hotel, or other reviews on this site was, what exactly is the feel/vibe of the hotel? I'll answer that by saying it is not for someone who is used to a "plucked and groomed" american style. It is perfect for relaxed travelers who want a quaint/charming little place; in fact it's very reminiscent of a B&B. It's not a "hip" hotel, it's not the Four Seasons but it's not shabby and unclean either. We are very urban, contemporary, professional 30 somethings and we were perfectly happy at this charming hotel full of character.

33  Thank bigghouse
Reviewed September 25, 2005

Stayed here with friends for two nights in September and loved it. The staff is especially friendly here - helping with directions, recommendations and making reservations at restaurants. Everyone working the front desk speaks perfect English, so for those with limited French skills, this is very helpful.

I stayed in a courtyard room and (contrary to some other people's experiences, I guess) very much enjoyed it. Although the room is tiny and the view is not much to speak of, the room and bathroom were immaculate with a few old world charms (exposed beams in the ceiling, gaslight lighting fixture) and modern conveniences (flat screen television). I especially loved the little touches in this hotel like the cotton robes, the bath mitt, and the fabric padded walls.

One drawback that other reviewers have mentioned before is that there is no shower curtain for the tub, so you probably can't take a shower standing up without getting the bathroom completely drenched. However, if you take a shower sitting in the tub, it is completely fine - just takes some getting used to. For the good price, location, and services you get with this hotel, I think it's a small price to pay to learn to shower a slightly different way.

15  Thank alleretretour
Reviewed September 22, 2005

This was our first trip to Paris and we were very favorably impressed with Caron de Beaumarchais. The staff is very nice and helpful, the rooms are extremely clean and the location is very convenient.

The room was small (which I understand is completely typical) but it was decorated very nicely with lovely fabrics, sound-proof windows, and a great little terrace with a table and chairs. Bathroom had a tub, mini bar, shower with plentiful hot water and nice marble countertop.

We paid 152 euros per night for 8 nights and successfully completed the entire transaction online. They were very responsive especially through email.

As an example of the staff's attention to detail, we received a message from a friend staying at another hotel and the receptionist was kind enough to attach a map showing where our friend was staying.

Please keep in mind that the hotel is right around the corner from Rue de Rivoli which is a major thoroughfare, so it is not completely quiet. We didn't have much trouble with noise as long as we kept the soundproof windows closed at night.

I would definitely stay here again.

13  Thank Passport35033
Reviewed September 22, 2005

Based on the ecstatic reviews on this site and Fodor's, we reserved a street-fronting room for mid-September several months in advance. My friend and I have stayed in mid-priced hotels in the Marais before, so we understand what to expect for the money in that area. What really sold us on the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais, along with the great reviews -- the prospect of a little balcony in the Marais.

We received a confirmation for a street-fronting room, but days before we left for France, we received a new confirmation for a "courtyard view." We thought it was too late to make new arrangements, and how bad could it be?

The "courtyard," it turns out, is an air shaft, and courtyard rooms are aparently much smaller than street-fronting rooms. I can only assume the people who love this hotel do not get courtyard rooms. Frankly, apart from the tinyness, it was truly dumpy and ordinary and I defy anyone to find the "charm" in that room. As noted by others, the bed is too short for someone 5'11" tall. Around 2 am a very strong smell permeated the airshaft -- I guess some restaurant began cooking -- it smelled like meatloaf. We never did sleep that night. All in all it was a grim little cell we couldn't wait to leave, which we did as soon as we found another hotel.

It is a little disorienting -- all these positive reviews and our experience was not like that at all. All I can say is, don't let them downgrade you to a "courtyard" room!

31  Thank bonnard