“Very disappointing. No 5 stars.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castille Paris

Castille Paris
Ranked #259 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
New York City, New York
“Very disappointing. No 5 stars.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is my second stay at Castille. The first time, I really had a good stay overall. I was not very happy with the size of the room so this time I made a reservation for a deluxe room which is the best room before a suite; they advertise as being able to accommodate 3 people; I don't know how three people would fit in a room where two barely fit. So rooms are very small as well as bathrooms. Second of all, the decor; the rooms have been redone since my stay and basically now, you have white walls everywhere, in the corridor of the floors and the bedroom; very hospital design, not very italian as the Star hotel owner or parisian. Second, service: bad at the reception and concierge area. I came in with my son and four suitcases and no one asked to help us roll them to at least to the front desk or to the room. Not very 5 stars like. I stayed two nights and used the Ibahn payable internet the last evening at 21€ / 24 hours out of frustration for the free version which works only if you enjoy memories of the good old days of modem dialing internet in the 90's. When I checked out, I was charged 63 € as if I was connected for 72 hours. I complained and mentioned that I was connected only 24 hours; my word was not good enough; after a call from the reception to Louise Petrakis "Guest Services Manager" of the hotel, I was credited only 21 €. I will add also that she never made the effort to come and explain in person, why they were overcharging for this service. The front desk person only said; Ibahn is an outside service that we don't have any control over and credit one day out of courtesy. My answer was, this service was provided in their hotel so they were responsible for it. Anyway, to make a long story short, the 21 € overcharge seems like a small amount went you spent over € 600, but it is a question of principle. I will not set a foot any more in this hotel which is not a 5 stars hotel, but a 4 stars hotel at best. It seems that is not the concern of the Guest Manager who questions the word of a customer obviously. I forgot to mention that if you take a breakfast in the dining room, you will be charged 30€ even if you get a croissant and one coffee.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank talamenthe
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Talamenthe,

I am sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet with your expectations. Regarding the room size, and if we have the pleasure of welcoming in a near future, our Duplex suites may be more appropriate for a triple (2 persons on the top floor, 1 on the flat floor).
As far as the service is concerned, it seems that we missed you on this. It is usually what our clients are complimenting about the most.
I would like to thank you for bringing these comments to my attention. Feed-backs (positive or negative) are the only way for us to improve and to fulfill our clients expectations as much as we can .

Best regards.
Erwan Sarre - Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

You can't go wrong with this hotel. EXCELLENT staff, very high level of service that felt very professional. Me and my girlfriend absolutely loved the room, slept like a baby.

Only downside might be that the breakfast was a bit expensive - We decided to go out for breakfast instead.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Fredin86
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Fredin86,

Thank you thousands times for the nice comment posted on TripAdvisor. My team and I are very happy to have helped to make this first trip even more special. Anyway, we had no right to fail in this kind of occasion !
We look forward of welcoming you very soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

So my wife and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The hotel is in a great location (next to Chanel) which my wife loved!!. The hotel is clean and tidy and the room size was not big but not small either, it was fine for a 3 night stay. This hotel however is not a 5 star but more of a 4 star. We arrived in the hotel at 12 o'clock. We did not receive our room until 1.15 so i was annoyed especially as we went out for 40 mins to kill time and then ended up waiting some more. Now also i emailed them to ask if they could do something extra for us a week before as it was my wife's birthday (another reviewer mentioned they received a room upgrade. We defn. did not and the check in staff did not mention anything. We didn't feel any extra was done except for the norm. The staff were always pleasant and we had no issues.

The room was nice but didn't like the fact that the toilet was on one side without a basin to wash your hands and the bathroom was on the other side. Beds were comfy. Another issue we found is that every time another room had a shower in the morning we heard so much water noise so sleeping in was difficult. The TV was very average with very very few English speaking channels but this was not a major issue.

I have to say that the lady at concierge who we always spoke to in the evenings for dinner was just amazing and very helpful...if it was a review on her she would get 6 stars as you sent us to some wonderful restaurants that we cannot stop raving about. I didn't get her name but she was great!!!

I would not ask the hotel to call a taxi as the meter starts to run once they call, nobody mentioned this to us.....cheaper to get a taxi from outside....prob saves a min. of 5 euros.

All in all we had a great time and the hotel was good for us because of the amazing location, 10-15 min walk to most of the sites you would want to see. I gave it 3 stars because they didn't do anything extra for my wife even though i emailed a week in advance and because of the layout of the room was not ideal, and the 1hr.15 min waiting for a room. 5 stars for the lady concierge....she made our stay!!!:)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AkP47
Dear AkP47,

After reading your comment you posted on TripAdvisor, it will be difficult to me to express by writing how frustrated and distressed I feel about the experience you had with us during your stay. It is so far away from the usual guest service we are proud to provide to our international guests. But it seems that this time we have been unable to answer to your needs but based on your comments, I have already taken all measures with my team to make sure that these discrepancies in service will not happen again, especially.

With my personal apologies,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have stayed at this property two times over the past 5 years. The first time I was in and out in one weekend. Nothing much to report. The stay was fine. I recently stayed with them at Castille last week for three days. Way too many mistakes were made during my stay.

Room- although nicely appointed if not small(I did not have the smallest room category) had the view of scaffolding and tarps. This made the room very dark. The bathroom had multiple chipping paint areas. Unacceptable for over $600 a night.

Service-Confused(brought wrong adapters several times, missed food and drinks on room service tray) and slow especially at front desk, check-in and restaurants. However, I did get sick and had to have a Doctor come to my room. Patrick at concierge took amazing care of me.

***Beware of the $42 dollar breakfast. We were told at checkin that we all had breakfast included. I ate a croissant and had a coffee each day. Later received a bill with a charge a day for breakfast. Wrote several emails and they refused to take off charges.

Overall, I never will again. There are so many other great hotels in Paris in that price level. Hotel Vendome, Hotel La Pavillion de la Reine are all amazing choices. I look at this hotel as more of a 4 star hotel that if not in the location it occupies would run you around $350 US a night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank mlb35
Dear mlb35,

I sincerely apologize if we have not been able to meet your expectations and I am very sorry to read your disappointment about your stay.
Please be ensured that our staff is always very committed to our Guest's needs and that every member strives to provide our Customer with the best care and attention.
It is usually what our clients are complimenting about the most.
I would like to thank you for sharing your comments. Feed-backs (positive or negative) are the only way for us to improve and to increase our service level.
My only regret is not to be aware of the situation while you were at the hotel, as I could have been able to bring you all the assistance you needed and avoid this way your actual disappointment.
With my personal apologies,

Erwan Sarre
Deputy General Manager
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Great hotel, very centrally located with easy access to the Metro, very good hotel Service, friendly and helpful staff, room was a nice size ( some of the Parisian hotel rooms require you to step outside to change your mind there so small!) but this was a good size room and was furnished very elegantly, all in all a fantastic find and would absolutely recommend

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Micex2
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Micex2,

I would like to thank you for this detailed report about your stay at the Castille Paris. I am very glad to read your comments and what are the reasons why you do prefer our property to an other one. I am fully convinced that this kind of testimony will be very helpful for our future visitors.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife stayed here in December. The staff where amazing. Very welcoming and helpful. My wife's birthday so they kindly upgraded her to a suite. She was so happy with this hotel and can not stop raving about it. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Get the largest room you can afford to have some space. If you have a special occasion tell them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Joe F
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Joe F,

Thank you thousands times for the nice comment posted on TripAdvisor. My team and I are very happy to have helped to make this special trip even more special. Anyway, we had no right to fail in this kind of occasion !
We look forward of welcoming you to celebrate your 1st wedding anniversary,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is in the most fantastic location and we got a great deal for two interconnecting rooms. The rooms are modern and clean (maybe a repaint of the ceiling in the bathroom would be nice) and the room amenities are great. The reception area is stylish, the breakfast are fresh and a great selection. The staff are generally very helpful and the manager is very attentive. The location is the best feature for an area of expensive hotels, this is next door to Chanel, a short hop from Rue St Honore and a great place to enjoy all the sites of Paris for no more than a €7 cab ride. I can't fault it!

Room Tip: Interconnecting rooms are actually two distinct rooms with a third door to create an entrance lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CAES12
Erwan S, Deputy General Manager at Castille Paris, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear CAES12,

Thank you so much for your nice comment posted on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read that either the location of the hotel or the kindness of the team made your stay even better than expected.

And, by the way, I do share with you your opinion about interconnecting roomq. They are perfect for families of 3 or 4.

I look forward of welcoming you again at the Castille Paris.

Best regards.