“Lovely boutique Parisian hotel in an excellent position”
Review of Hotel Montalembert

Hotel Montalembert
Ranked #63 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We would certainly stay there again (we have so far stayed there on two occasions) as the rooms, service, and location are all of a very high quality indeed. We found the staff at the reception desk to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable and more than willing to assist in any way they could.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Thank you to the staff at the Montalembert for making our weekend so special. As others have mentioned the rooms are a little small but the amenities in the rooms are superb. Comfy bed, good lightening, sound proof windows, quiet a/c and smart bathroom with lovely toiletries which were replaced each day. As an Englishwoman I would have liked a kettle and tea... and you need to be in a junior suite for one of those and we had only a deluxe!

We had opted for a paying beforehand and therefore breakfast was not included... a good idea would be for that to be an option... but we ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good.

What impressed us was the staff on the desk and conciege. They were lovely people, especially the concieges... what characters and they remembered our names.. always a good sign.

Room Tip: try and stay on the top floor!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Myriam K, Directeur général at Hotel Montalembert, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Dear Travellover1_7

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience among us and thank you for your positive comments on our Reception and Concierge teams. It is rewarding to see that the passion that animates them shows by their enthusiasm and by the personalized service that they spontaneously offer to our guests.

We are glad that you enjoyed our continental breakfast formula.
Also, most of our guests like to have a cup of tea either at our bar, at fireplace during the winter or in the patio during the nice season. However, we may put a kettle in your room on request.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon to the Montalembert.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This hotel is rated a 5 star hotel and is located directly opposite a Monoprix (supermarket) in a very attractive area of Paris. It is surrounded by gorgeous shops and is close to the Seine River and the Louvre.

To be honest with you, I didn't know what to expect, but the website showed some very elegant rooms and put forward a very understated and high quality feel. In real life, the hotel entirely lives up to this image, it is very elegant indeed! Chic is the right word for this hotel.

The reception area was lovely, they have a sofa in there which is a lovely light beige colour (as were most of the carpets), I'd dearly like to steal this sofa because oh my goodness it was so comfortable!!
The staff are helpful and friendly, they are very efficient and are smart to the point they often made me feel a little under dressed!!
We had someone kind enough to take our bags to our room for us and we were given our key swiftly, no complaints at all on first impressions.

I must comment on the lovely spiral stairs, there seems to be a lot of that in Paris, really liked them, and the gorgeous tiny lift that ran up and down the middle of them. So lovely.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, room 21 I think.
First impressions of the room were like many people say, the room was very small.
I think when it comes to hotels, you pay a lot to stay in them, and I think I can understand peoples gripes when they talk of small rooms as a bad thing because in places like America, you do get very big rooms at the top hotels - staying in Miami we had a VERY big room and it was amazing.
That said, this is Europe, and these buildings haven't been constructed as massive hotel duplexes, neither would I want them to be either - the room was small yes, but it was one of the cleanest I've ever stayed in.
There was more than enough space for us to put luggage and clothes and whatever else. We weren't cramped at all.
The bed was very comfy, the room felt cosy not cramped. It was a great base for us to explore Paris from.

I tend to judge a hotel room very much on the bathrooms...this hotel impressed me! The bathroom was large and was black marble. The shower stall was also black marble cut into the side of the wall with a glass door on the front - and an amazing shower!! wow. The sink was a very shiny metal and reflected the water beautifully - it's little touches like this that make my stay happy.
The hotel provided an abundance of L'Occitane products for us to use (this scored points with me being a skincare lover), I thought I'd be organised and put the shampoos in the shower for when I went to wash in the morning...only to find that the hotel housekeeping had replaced them....and left the original ones in the shower!! Merci housekeeping!

One of the strangest things was the full length doors in the bathroom that opened out onto the street... like a kind of mini balcony. I liked this although there was no way I'd shower with them open... it was just different and I haven't seen it before.
If you don't like mirrors you may not like the bathrooms in the Montalembert... full length mirrors and mirrored walls... eek.
We had the big full length doors opening onto the street in the bedroom as well.... I preferred this to the aircon to be honest, much nicer and more natural.

Housekeeping were amazing at keeping our room tidy, although it amused me a lot that they tried to come and clean our room at 8.30am... they clearly haven't met me (not getting up until 11!!). The room was always spotless and our toiletries replaced. I was so impressed, I know people expect it but it doesn't make it any less lovely.

We didn't eat in the restaurant because there was an event happening on the first night, and we ate elsewhere on the second, but we did have lovely little chocolate brownies in our room on arrival which were lovely.
We also ordered a healthy breakfast which I found lovely, amazingly presented and very tasty. Was it worth 25 euros each? Hmmmm maybe not, but it was beautifully presented and bought up to our room so it was worth the splurge. I enjoyed it.

My initials are also HM and all the bathrobes, slippers and everything have HM on them... that was kinda nice (although I know it stands for the hotels name not mine, it was still nice).

Where does this hotel fall down?
Well, I think it's expensive, and at times I felt a little intimidated (but that was more me than the hotel, i was very nervous in Paris). I think people associate expensive with big which Montalembert isn't, but people need to remember that the buildings there have history and they're not skyscrapers built for purpose.

I don't really think that this hotel falls down anywhere personally because a lot of the things I would change about it were my personal preferences and nothing more. The hotel was excellent, the staff were excellent and I would recommend it as a lovely place to stay. The cost factor may be what causes people to rate this down because people expect a lot when a hotel says 5 star, but I don't really think Montalembert under-delivered.

What I really loved most about the hotel was that it was very homely, comfortable and cosy, the staff were so helpful giving us a map when we arrived with the hotel marked on it, they ordered us a taxi and just helped us with everything - neither me or my boyfriend are seasoned travelers.

Room Tip: Don't expect massive rooms, it's Paris not Miami!
2  Thank Ammit1984

Dear Ammit 1984,

What a detailed review on your Montalembert experience!
Thank you for all your nice comments, which constitute real rewards and strong encouragements to our teams.

Your review is exactly about what the Montalembert wants to be for its guests: a cosy and sophisticated place in harmony with the atmosphere of the left bank, but before all, a place away from hom where you feel like at home! Our dedicated staff is a lot for that, so thank you for recognizing their work and their value.

We will share your positive comments with all of our staff, but especially with our General Housekeeper Manager and his team. Showing us that you have noticed the smallest details of their work is so nice! It is important for us to know as well that our guests find all the comfort that they need.

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you again soon to the Montalembert.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

A gorgeous hotel in a great location. We used this as our base for a two night stayover in Paris and were very happy. The healthy breakfast option was excellently presented and delivered to the room promptly. One quirk was that they were very keen to turn the room on our first morning and tried to turn it while we were in it, at 08:30. This was resolved the next day. Complimentary baggage holding and services like loaning a phone charger showed simply good service. Would use again.

2  Thank mrgavinconway

Dear Mrgavincomway,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We are glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our level of service did meet your expectations.

Offering a large selection of breakfast items and dishes on the Restaurant and Room Service menus is our way to show consideration to all of our guests. Our low fat breakfast (including brown toasts, organic apple stewed, low fat yoghurt and carrot juice among other things), that you were refering to, is popular among our more health-conscient guests, as well as the light dishes identified by their number of calories on the menu.

Thank you for your kind comments.
We hope to see you again soon at the Montalemembert!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

A beautiful building in the heart of a really great Saint Germain location. Reasonably quiet, but close to the river, Orsay and shops & galleries of the Left Bank. Really friendly, helpful service from all of the staff we encountered which made us feel v welcome. Our Deluxe room was elegantly furnished, but a little on the small side and with a shower head in the bathroom which seemed to have a mind of its own! We'd have hoped for a little more space and everything working perfectly for the rate we were paying. Then again this is Paris, home of some of the most expensive hotel rooms in the world, so probably par for the course! Overall, though, a very good experience and a hotel we'd like to return to.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tim U,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us.

We are glad to know that the Montalembert, by the rooms it offers and by its location, as well as our staff, contributed to make of your stay in Paris a good experience. Your comments have been shared with our different teams, as they constitute a real reward to their daily work.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The service is wonderful. The hotel is very sweet and in a great area for walking. The rooms are small, but the beds are very comfortable, and the bathrooms are clean. We got the continental breakfast added to our room and it was more than enough food. The concierge was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elin H,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review, which perfectly reflects what the Montalembert wants to be, a cosy hotel offering a good service through its employees.
Your positive comments will be shared with our Concierge.
Our continental breakfast may surprise some of our guests, but allows us to offer a more personalized service, especially as our guests may have it at the restaurant of the hotel or in their room and may choose to order some items on the side. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

We hope to see you back soon at the Hotel Montalembert.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband was invited to Paris for meetings, and requested to stay in the Montalembert because we had stayed there twice previously and loved its quiet luxury, convenience, elegantly furnished rooms and courtesy. Unfortunately, this time it didn't live up to our hopes. We were disappointed to be put in an undistinguished and poky room with barely space to park one's belongings (the room was mostly taken up by a disproportionately enormous wardrobe). The pillows were plastic. And why do hotel designers never ever consider the problems faced by guests who want
a) to be able to see an illuminated clock in the night-time? - and
b) occasionally want to use the bathroom at night, but don't want to leave lights and fan extractors running?
These could so easily be solved with a little thought. TripAdvisor should start a campaign...
Other room problems: the internal telephone didn't work. We complained, but it wasn't fixed. The heating was set at 25 degrees. It proved impossible to re-set ourselves, so we asked a technician to re-set it. However he failed to do so, and we passed an uncomfortable night in a very over-heated room.
Breakfast was OK (though hardly a bargain at 25 euros per person!) and coffee really good - but a self-service breakfast bar would have been vastly preferable to the hugely over-priced menu on offer. You had to pay extra for everything - yoghurt, fruit, eggs, cereal.
The final affront was discovering on departure that the hotel had ignored or forgotten specific instructions (from our hosts for the trip) that our payment was to be taken care of, and we had to settle a bill for 700+ euros for two nights ourselves.
Regrettably, we won't be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MargaretBritish

Dear MargaretBritish,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your last stay with us.

Our hotel offers 3 different room types (besides our Junior Suites, Suites and La Suite by Christian Liaigre). Our Reservation Agents take the time to discuss with our guests at the time of the reservation and give them the best advices, so that they choose together the right room type, based on our guests's needs and expectations. Please, be informed that, as our guests' satisfaction is our priority, we allocate the rooms to our guests with a very special attention. We are also always willing to offert ou guests some alternatives, whenever our occupancy allows us to do so, should the room that we chose for them not fit for some reasons.

We understand your comment on the breakfast. Our choice of serving a continental breakfast rather than a buffet breakfast was made as it allows us to personalize more our service.

We are sorry to hear that we had some technical challenges as well while you were here. These do not reflect our general standards of service and operations, as they remain very exceptional.

Finally, we are surprised to hear that the third party payment instructions were not taken into account for your stay. As it is a often delicate subject, we make sure that these information are properly transferred to our teams and accordingly actionned. I would be pleased to discuss that specific point with you, as that there might be some misunderstanding at the time of the reservation.

I would be pleased as well to personally welcome you on your next visit, and offer you a real "Montalembert experience" Please, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your valuable comments.