“Paper thin walls”

Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees
Ranked #386 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 11, 2006

Having spent 3 days at the Hotel Lancaster in Paris recently, thought I should inform future Trip Advisors of the paper thin walls in this hotel. Booked this room through the website that appears on Tripadvisor, so don't know whether you an get inferior room, there is also an overcharge on my visa statement by £250, be wary.

We may have been particularly unlucky, but had a rather amorous couple in the next bedroom who were extremely noisey which was quite annoying at 2 in the morning. So I would suggest you check which room you are allocated and stay well away from room 22 and 21!

13  Thank Bunbun

A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Lancaster during the Easter weekend. We checked in on the Friday night and were warmly welcomed by the reception staff. For the first night, we asked the concierge to recommend just a simple place for light bite. He got us into a fabulous local brasserie!

On Saturday, we picked on the concierge brain again and he set up a perfect walking tour of Paris for us: shops, monument, lunch, more shops. We came back exhausted but happy.

They had a surpise in for us on Sunday morning! As we came down for breakfast, the maitre d' gave us homemade chocolate eggs for Easter!

Our room was very pretty. It was facing the courtyard and was therefore very quiet. The bathroom had just been repainted and our room was in perfect condition. All the staff we met was extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The atmosphere once you walk into the hotel is incredible: it is peaceful, homely, elegant yet relaxed and the staff made the whole experience even more friendly.

We strongly recommend the Lancaster to anyone who wants a five star experience in a smaller, more personal environment and at four star prices!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I have stayed at the Lancaster on four occasions now. To my mind, it is the perfect European town house hotel.

I just wanted to address some of the recurring criticisms in other reviews.

First, the location. Rue de Berri is certainly not the Marrais, or one of the other exquisite parts of Paris. But to suggest that it is seedy is laughable. It is a commercial street, like thousands of others in Paris, London or NYC. Despite my four visits, I never even noticed the Larry Flint club further along the street until I read people bleating about it on this site. Rue de Berri is a safe, well lit thoroughfare, although I agree it wouldn't win a beauty pageant

Whatever the street may lack in charm, it makes up for in convenience. The Metro and cabs are moments away. The Arc de Triomphe is 5 mins walk, Place de Concorde 10 mins, Les Invalides, Les jardins des Tuileries & the Louvre 15 mins. Similarly world class shopping (St Honore), and eating (le Cinq, Laurent, Pierre Gagnaire, Guy Savoy etc) are also within 10 to 15 mins walking). True, the Champs Elysee are not as Elysian as their name suggests - in truth very touristy - but who can deny that the boulevard is not central to the Parisian experience? It's as arterial as the Seine, and scarcely a dozen steps away from the door.

The want of exernal charm is more than set-off by this convenience, and the internal, understated, beauty of the hotel itself.

Next, service. Another reviewer said that opening to door or meeting guests with umbrellas is not part of this hotel's mindset. Well, I suppose I can't doubt the veracity of their personal experience, but all I can say is that doesn't accord with mine, based on visits over the course of eight years. I was indeed met with an umbrella on a wet Easter Sunday, and found the door staff unfailingly courteous and excellent. As others have said, the conceierges are first rate.

The criticism of this hotel which is fair - but is ulitmately a matter of taste - is that it is not always very modern. But it doesn't really try to be. So rooms, while large, may be dim, and antique furniture does not always suit modern business equipment or ergonomic preferences. You can't get Victorian mirrors and picture frames to a perfect, pristine polish. But that is the charm of this hotel, and to see it as an adverse feature is, with respect, to miss its point. If you want spanking new facilities, stay somewhere else. I certainly agree that this is not the first choice for the solo business traveller, and perhaps not for families with young children either.

Some people love the over-the-top glories of palace hotels like George V, the Bristol, the Crillion. If that's your thing, this probably shouldn't be your first choice. But if you prefer a little more restraint, a little more privacy, this understated town house is (at a price) a wonderful city-centre hotel. I recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2006
18  Thank Jacques Hughes
Reviewed March 28, 2006

I had a short one night romantic stay here to celebrate my birthday and cannot write more highly - the staff are so friendly and efficient - one gets the feeling of walking into an elegant private home as soon as you cross the front door - a warm welcoming working fireplace at the reception desk adds to the human welcome from the checkin staff. Our room suite 80 was on the 8th floor and tastefully decorated with antique furniture (apparently collected by the founder), cosy red silk wallcoverings, a big king bed and modern marble bathroom with deep fluffy towels and bathrobes - but the special feature was the full length balcony that gave us birds eye views of the roofs of Paris and especially the Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur ( the perfect romantic view as one always dreams of!) The second treat was dinner in the 1 star Michelin restaurant looking onto the central courtyard garden (too cold be out there but will have to come back in the summer ) - what a way to spend one's birthday. Having travelled all over the world the warmth, comfort and professionalism of this hotel I have not found elsewhere - as another tripadvisor said, I don't know where those who had bad experiences stayed..... I can but recommend it and will do so to all my friends.

Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank jwpetch
A TripAdvisor Member
washington, DC
Reviewed March 17, 2006

If you are a discerning business traveller or someone with high expectations who is willing to spend a bit more for a special experience, do not choose the Lancaster (unless you have a very different definition of the word "special"). Unfortunately, I chose this hotel based on positive reviews on this site. I agree with prior reviewers that the rooms are large and the staff is friendly. That's where it ends.

The rooms, while large, are gloomy. Carpet and wall coverings appear to be coated in a fine layer of grime (even though the staff told me that my room was recently renovated). While the furnishings may have originally been comfortable for Louis XIV, I doubt they'd be comfortable for you! The beds are sunk down low with a hard rock mattress. Even the beds at the lowly Marriott are far superior to the Lancaster's. For the business traveller, expect to pay $40 for WiFi access while you sit at Louis' 3 foot desk in a rickety wooden chair. For reading at your desk or in bed, the main lighting is a chandelier at least 20 feet above your head. And while the bathroom was large and also apparently recently renovated, it featured an open shower, which was designed to allow water to flow all over the bathroom floor.

So for those who decide not to heed this advice and take your chances, make sure you get a room facing the back of the hotel and ask for a real king bed. The staff told me that they frequently give guests a "king" by placing two twins together. Au Revoir and Bon Chance!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I have read some of the lesser reviews of this hotel and wonder where these people stayed. It obviously wasn't the Hotel Lancaster I was at for 5 nights.
The staff was superb. New my name, my drink and what time I liked to get up in the morning. The doorman
had a ready umbrella when it rained. The staff made dinner reservations and had a cab waiting every night without even having to ask. The room was large with huge closets. The bathroom was very nice. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This was my 5th vacation in Paris and the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank HJPofi
Reviewed January 3, 2006

The room was spacious and the staff superb! We went there because of previous ratings and couldn't have been happier. The view from the terrace wasn't that great but the service and the restaurant more than made up for it! It's not cheap but well worth the money. The location is just off the Champs so shopping and people watching were moments away.

3  Thank gb905