“Perfect Town House Hotel”

Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees
Ranked #356 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I have stayed at the Lancaster on four occasions now. To my mind, it is the perfect European town house hotel.

I just wanted to address some of the recurring criticisms in other reviews.

First, the location. Rue de Berri is certainly not the Marrais, or one of the other exquisite parts of Paris. But to suggest that it is seedy is laughable. It is a commercial street, like thousands of others in Paris, London or NYC. Despite my four visits, I never even noticed the Larry Flint club further along the street until I read people bleating about it on this site. Rue de Berri is a safe, well lit thoroughfare, although I agree it wouldn't win a beauty pageant

Whatever the street may lack in charm, it makes up for in convenience. The Metro and cabs are moments away. The Arc de Triomphe is 5 mins walk, Place de Concorde 10 mins, Les Invalides, Les jardins des Tuileries & the Louvre 15 mins. Similarly world class shopping (St Honore), and eating (le Cinq, Laurent, Pierre Gagnaire, Guy Savoy etc) are also within 10 to 15 mins walking). True, the Champs Elysee are not as Elysian as their name suggests - in truth very touristy - but who can deny that the boulevard is not central to the Parisian experience? It's as arterial as the Seine, and scarcely a dozen steps away from the door.

The want of exernal charm is more than set-off by this convenience, and the internal, understated, beauty of the hotel itself.

Next, service. Another reviewer said that opening to door or meeting guests with umbrellas is not part of this hotel's mindset. Well, I suppose I can't doubt the veracity of their personal experience, but all I can say is that doesn't accord with mine, based on visits over the course of eight years. I was indeed met with an umbrella on a wet Easter Sunday, and found the door staff unfailingly courteous and excellent. As others have said, the conceierges are first rate.

The criticism of this hotel which is fair - but is ulitmately a matter of taste - is that it is not always very modern. But it doesn't really try to be. So rooms, while large, may be dim, and antique furniture does not always suit modern business equipment or ergonomic preferences. You can't get Victorian mirrors and picture frames to a perfect, pristine polish. But that is the charm of this hotel, and to see it as an adverse feature is, with respect, to miss its point. If you want spanking new facilities, stay somewhere else. I certainly agree that this is not the first choice for the solo business traveller, and perhaps not for families with young children either.

Some people love the over-the-top glories of palace hotels like George V, the Bristol, the Crillion. If that's your thing, this probably shouldn't be your first choice. But if you prefer a little more restraint, a little more privacy, this understated town house is (at a price) a wonderful city-centre hotel. I recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2006
18  Thank Jacques Hughes
There are newer reviews for Hotel Lancaster Paris Champs-Elysees

Reviewed March 28, 2006

I had a short one night romantic stay here to celebrate my birthday and cannot write more highly - the staff are so friendly and efficient - one gets the feeling of walking into an elegant private home as soon as you cross the front door - a warm welcoming working fireplace at the reception desk adds to the human welcome from the checkin staff. Our room suite 80 was on the 8th floor and tastefully decorated with antique furniture (apparently collected by the founder), cosy red silk wallcoverings, a big king bed and modern marble bathroom with deep fluffy towels and bathrobes - but the special feature was the full length balcony that gave us birds eye views of the roofs of Paris and especially the Eiffel Tower and Sacre Coeur ( the perfect romantic view as one always dreams of!) The second treat was dinner in the 1 star Michelin restaurant looking onto the central courtyard garden (too cold be out there but will have to come back in the summer ) - what a way to spend one's birthday. Having travelled all over the world the warmth, comfort and professionalism of this hotel I have not found elsewhere - as another tripadvisor said, I don't know where those who had bad experiences stayed..... I can but recommend it and will do so to all my friends.

Stayed: March 2006
7  Thank jwpetch
A TripAdvisor Member
washington, DC
Reviewed March 17, 2006

If you are a discerning business traveller or someone with high expectations who is willing to spend a bit more for a special experience, do not choose the Lancaster (unless you have a very different definition of the word "special"). Unfortunately, I chose this hotel based on positive reviews on this site. I agree with prior reviewers that the rooms are large and the staff is friendly. That's where it ends.

The rooms, while large, are gloomy. Carpet and wall coverings appear to be coated in a fine layer of grime (even though the staff told me that my room was recently renovated). While the furnishings may have originally been comfortable for Louis XIV, I doubt they'd be comfortable for you! The beds are sunk down low with a hard rock mattress. Even the beds at the lowly Marriott are far superior to the Lancaster's. For the business traveller, expect to pay $40 for WiFi access while you sit at Louis' 3 foot desk in a rickety wooden chair. For reading at your desk or in bed, the main lighting is a chandelier at least 20 feet above your head. And while the bathroom was large and also apparently recently renovated, it featured an open shower, which was designed to allow water to flow all over the bathroom floor.

So for those who decide not to heed this advice and take your chances, make sure you get a room facing the back of the hotel and ask for a real king bed. The staff told me that they frequently give guests a "king" by placing two twins together. Au Revoir and Bon Chance!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I have read some of the lesser reviews of this hotel and wonder where these people stayed. It obviously wasn't the Hotel Lancaster I was at for 5 nights.
The staff was superb. New my name, my drink and what time I liked to get up in the morning. The doorman
had a ready umbrella when it rained. The staff made dinner reservations and had a cab waiting every night without even having to ask. The room was large with huge closets. The bathroom was very nice. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. This was my 5th vacation in Paris and the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank HJPofi
Reviewed January 3, 2006

The room was spacious and the staff superb! We went there because of previous ratings and couldn't have been happier. The view from the terrace wasn't that great but the service and the restaurant more than made up for it! It's not cheap but well worth the money. The location is just off the Champs so shopping and people watching were moments away.

3  Thank gb905
Reviewed November 15, 2005

This was the fourth time we've stayed at Hotel Lancaster, and we have NEVER been disappointed.
I agree with a couple of reviews regarding that the exercise room is OK but not great and that the street is not the most attractive street in Paris. However, the LOCATION of the hotel is excellent. The reviews that talk about the bad street don't say that the Lancaster is a 30-second walk from the Champs Élysées not far from the Louis Vuitton store.
When we arrived, we were advised that we had been upgraded to a suite (another advantage of repeat visits!). The room was excellent. It faced the courtyard, but we've also stayed in rooms that faced the street. Both rooms are very quiet. There are double doors to keep out hallway noise. The bed and furniture are very comfortable, and the bathrooms are appointed with nice toiletries.
The hotel lounge and courtyard garden are excellent places to enjoy a drink and/or cigar. Along with your drinks, they serve up a very nice tray of snacks. The breakfast is very nice. There is a well-stocked buffet, plus they serve up eggs to order along with sausages, bacon, etc. We didn't eat dinner at the restaurant this time, but we found it to be superb when we ate there last year. I contacted the concierge by phone a couple of days before our visit and asked him to make a couple of reservations for us (I would advise you do this AT LEAST one to two weeks in advance for some of the nicer restaurants). We arrived to find that the reservations had been made as asked.
We have always found the staff to be very friendly, attentive, talkative, and helpful. Staying at the Lancaster is like staying in somebody's nice townhouse. It is relaxing, intimate, and unpretentious while still maintaining an understated luxury. Plus, the staff goes out of its way to make sure you are enjoying your stay.
We will stay here again the next time we are in Paris.

13  Thank thebigfinn
Reviewed November 5, 2005

Ok, so it's acknowledged that The Lancaster suffers from not being located on a particularly pretty street. What it does have though is great style, understated it must be said, great service and delivered with charm too. My room on the 6th floor was really beautiful. The walls are covered in silk, the paintings and antiques are all exquisitely well chosen. My room had a little terrace which was charming. I was lucky that when we visited the sun was shining and we were able to eat breakfast on the terrace, looking over the rooftops to Monmartre. The garden is justifiably famous, very zen and would be a great setting for dinner in the summer. As far as I could see 'dinner' was the only problem .. really annoying menu that makes it difficult to order well. Then when you do order from the 'spicy' or 'green' or 'sour' section, it's really not that good ! Great hotel, great garden, not great restaurant.

10  Thank SAC40