“Tres Magnifique”

Ranked #41 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Houston, Texas, United States
“Tres Magnifique”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I'm won't beguile you with describing the amazing service, impeccable lobby, sumptuous bar, and appropriately French rooms only to kidney punch you with the price. It's expensive but most of Paris costs a handsome pile of Euro and when I'm traveling half way around the world I don't want to compromise comfort concierge and cocktails (nice alliteration) to save. My better half had been to Paris a few times as an adult and was adamant about how important location is when doing the "MUST" sees. Although seldom right, she was spot on (hope she doesn't read this but it made me smile writing it) in this instance. We were right in the middle of everything. Walk out the revolving doors… Boom: Tuileries, d'Orsay, Louvre, Seine, etc… five minute cab to Eiffel, 15 minute walk to Pompidou and Marais and walking in Paris is the only way to go if convenient ifyou truly want to experience it. Stop off in a cafe for a cup or in our case a glass but we did see lots of people having cups.
Sorry I got off point here: Meurice. I promise I've been to a lot really nice hotels i.e. Savoy/Florence, Bellaire/LA, Capella/Cabo, Pierre/NYC.. you get the picture. So when my travel agent at Frosch, MT, dissuaded me from the Bristol, I was a bit apprehensive but went on her knowledge. As per usual, she was right. The staff was so lovely and spoke excellent English. We could only oblige with usually bad bon jours, ouis, and mercis. They smiled with what seemed genuine affection but secretly I was hoping they were laughing at our pitiful attempts because I was.
From the moment we walked in, we were attended to immediately. We arrived early and they showed us to a settee with coffee to catch our breath while our room was getting put together. It only took about 15 minutes. When we walked in we were blown away with the gilded 20ft (Or 6meters if you do the metric thing) ceilings and Louis XV furniture. However, and please don't judge, we smoke and this room was a non-smoking room so we were ushered up to another salon which was just a nice. All of this was done in a matter of 30 minutes upon arrival. That's amazing.
We didn't do a lot planning in the way of dining for our trip but with the concierge on staff at Le Meurice we got into all of the eateries we wanted to with the exception of a restaurant that was closed throughout the holiday season. To do it over again though, I'd definitely make reservations before leaving for Paris through the gentlemen downstairs and let them work their magic with some wiggle room.
My favorite spot at Meurice was the bar 228. It just draws you in and warms your belly with dark rich tones saying " drink, relax, enjoy the company and luxurious surroundings that envelope you." Intimate and inviting with pleasant French/Jazz piano and patrons whom are cognizant of civilized conversation volume. I felt so sophisticated. Not really I felt like a total deviant in sheep's clothing. Delicious.
Our experience could not have been better. My only regret is that I didn't have the forethought to thank the staff on a more personal level because of our early flight and the poor weather gripping America.
Le Meurice you are the gold standard and you deserve all the accolades heaped upon you.
MERCI MERCI

Room Tip: The higher the better I guess and maybe on the Rue de Rivoli to over look the tuileries but I can...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lee L
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Lee L ,

We were very touched by your kind comments on Trip Advisor. We very much thank you for taking time to share your experiences at our Hotel, Le Meurice.

It was a pleasure to read your impressions regarding our property. Your satisfaction regarding the staffs’ service’s is most important for us, and we will be happy to share your comments with the entire team.
We hope to welcome you back soon and to get the pleasure to meet you again.

Yours sincerely,

Franka Holtmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed for 1 night on August 17, 2013. Elegant, beautiful property. The service was superb. Everyone was attentive and friendly. Wonderful location; easy walking to shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Love_2_travel00
Dear Love_2_tr... ,

I am very flattered with your wonderful review of Hotel Le Meurice. I was pleased to read your kind comments and to know that our property and our staff met your expectations.

We hope to see you very soon in Paris!
Looking forward to your return,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Meurice in mid January 2014. Normally, we stay at another Dorchester property, the Hotel Plaza Athenee, but the latter property is undergoing renovation presently. Thus, we were slightly apprehensive about changing from our comfort zone, as silly as that might sound. Putting our concerns to rest, even before we checked in, we were treated superbly by the Guest Relations team and by the Conciergerie, who arranged our arrival and dinners with professional efficiency.

On arrival, we were warmly greeted in a very personal kind way, and our room was already waiting for us--something sorely needed after a long night of travel.

The rooms are furnished in the Louis XVI style, and are simply gorgeous. There is nothing 'tired' about the appointments in the room, and the bathrooms were beautiful and spacious. We had a view of the Tuilleries, Place de La Concorde, and (of course) the Eiffel Tower. The beds were extremely comfortable, the temperature controls in the room were easy to use and were accurate, and the housekeeping service impeccable.

The hotel has several restaurant options; we did not eat in Alain Ducasse, but we did eat in the lobby dining area, which provided nice proximity to the live jazz band. The bar is quite nice, and staffed by very attentive people; Pascal was extraordinarily nice to us, and reserved us a table on request one evening. They were warm, kind, and responsive.

The location of the hotel is superb in many ways; if you are a shopper, you are near some of the most densely packed regions of Paris for retail. If you are a museum-goer, you are literally adjacent to the Louvre, the Jeu de Paume, and Orangerie, with a view of the Orsay, and others. If you are a stroller type, you are right adjacent to the Seine, and a walking distance to Notre Dame, etc.

I travel extensively for business, and I would place the Meurice at the very top of all the places we have had the pleasure to see and enjoy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank James J
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear James,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay amongst us.

We were truly delighted to read such a positive review. The title you gave to your review, "Perfection", means a lot to us! Your words are so very generous, and we sincerely thank you!

Happy that you could enjoy an early check-in. We always try to do our utmost to ensure guests with early arrival flights can benefit of as early check-in as possible.

We were delighted that you found your room overlooking the Tuileries garden gorgeous and that you appreciated our location in the very heart of Paris.

We were also thrilled to learn that our team members exceeded your expectations. Kindly rest assured that we have shared your kind words with all of the team, with a particular attention to Pascal and the team at the Bar 228, our Guest Relations team who paid close attention to your queries with our Concierge and Room Attendants who looked after your room. Thank you for being so thoughtful to point them out !

Thank you for being such a wonderful ambassador of Le Meurice and of the Dorchester Collection through your generous comments.

Very truly yours,

Eu, France
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Part of the Dorchester group, this hotel was redesigned by Philip Stark is a gentle way. The view is on the gardens of Tuileries. The rooms are nice but nothing extraordinary. It's what they call style Louis 16. The bar is nice but nothing glamorous.Two restaurants (see my separate review of the restaurants)

Room Tip: Hint: Pick up a room with a view on the Tuileries gardens. The sun raises on the left and set on the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Valentin M
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Valentin,

Thank you very much for choosing Le Meurice and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the magnificent view of the Tuileries Garden from your room and that your appreciate the decoration of Phillipe Starck on the ground floor.

I hope that you will visit us again soon and that we could find a room that corresponds more to your tastes as each of our rooms have a unique atmosphere.

I also hope that you will come back at our Bar the 228. I am sure you will change your mind about its glamourousness if you try one of our signature cocktails while listening to the music of our live band that is performing every evening from 7pm.

Looking forward to seeing you again,

Best regards,

Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My visit to Paris is Trully amazing ,,,,food,shopping ,people,cultures !!
You made my stay superb...I love my room,,super classy bathroom with I love the most
And the lobby is Fantastic decor and chandelier that sparkle every steps of my night
See you in July 2014 ...Le Meurice ❤️

Room Tip: If you are in to a classy Hotel.....This is yours!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nikki L
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Nikki L,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review regarding your last stay at the Hotel Le Meurice.

We are really happy to know that you enjoyed the Hotel and its location. Your satisfaction regarding the hotel decoration is very important for us, and I will be very pleased to share your comments with all of them.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in July to Le Meurice and we wish you a Happy New Year!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I first heard of Le Meurice in a biography of Wallis Simpson who used to stay there. So I booked for 3 nights after an apartment stay and although I was in the cheapest room, the staff treated me as if I were royalty. The room was small but comfortable and the bathroom beautiful. Although the main restaurant was booked out for dinner, I was offered a table for lunch which was superb. One morning I was unexpectedly given a plate of delicious French toast. Celeb spotting included Sting and Jacques Chirac. The experience was well worth the cost.

Room Tip: Book well in advance if you want to have dinner and also book a table in the lounge (yes!) if you pl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Patricia F
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Doctortrish,

Thank you so much for this more than rewarding review.

I am truly thrilled to hear about your experience with us.

It has been great pleasure for me to share your comments with all our teams.

We sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of your return visit soon.

Best regards,

Paris, France
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This morning I have been to LeMeurice desk to kindly request that I be shown the Function Rooms where an event could be organised.

I have been revolted by the low quality of service provided by the desk: a sales person was called, and requested that I book a timeslot to get a glimpse of the Meurice Function Room offering. That was the second time - even though on Christmas eve all Function Rooms are empty - that I was given the same distasteful service.

Each and every palace in Paris where I have made a unannounced request for a quick visit of the salon, I have received a cordial and prompt assistance. Alas, the Meurice has decided not to meet the french standards for professional courtesy - at Palace prices, this is not only a distasteful but an absurd commercial policy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
16 Thank Adieuaberlin
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am very concerned by the negative experience you mentioned on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is extremely important to us, I would like to follow up on your visit and comments. I would be most grateful if you could grant me a few minutes of your precious time. I hope we can connect soon and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,