“Lovely hotel in great location”
Review of Le Meurice

Le Meurice
Ranked #37 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We visited Le Meurice for 3 nights in May to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and my wifes 40th Birthday. Due to the importance of the occasion I had specifically requested a view of the Tuilleries gardens. We arrived early morning around 10am and the room wasn't quite ready but we were offered tea and breakfast whilst we waited the approximately 30 minutes for the room to be prepared.
Unfortunately on being shown to the room I was disappointed to find that I had not received the garden view room as requested. Normally this would not have been a major issue, however because it was our first visit to Paris we wanted to feel connected to the city and so I asked the person who showed us to our room if we could change but he said no rooms were available with the garden view. To their credit however, after making a call to someone more senior I managed to persuade them to give us a garden view room after all which made all the difference to our stay with a wonderful view over Paris, although to be fair the first room was probably better and had been refurbished recently but both were nice.

Breakfast was of an excellent standard and had lots of fresh fruit and juices, pastries etc and a full a la carte menu if you wished with a full English breakfast, crepes, waffles etc.

Although we had neither lunch nor dinner in the hotel, (we ate at Le Cinq at the Four Seasons and the Jules Verne at the Eiffel tower instead), we did eat in the bar one evening and spent an evening trying the wonderful (if expensive) cocktails. The bar was busy as was the Dali restaurant outside which made for a good atmosphere and the food was very good.

Its the location of Le Meurice which really impresses however. You are in close proximity to everything without having to walk to far. You have the Louvre next door in one direction and the Champs Elysees in the other, and if you are lucky enough to get a view over the Tuilleries then you will have a full view of the city from your room.

Would I return, yes definitely but its not cheap so its more of an occasion hotel than a regular place to stay I think but certainly worth it for a special or romantic time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FUMAN
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Fuman,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Le Meurice on your recent visit to Paris. I am pleased to read we managed to propose you a room to your linking and to find that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.
Sincerely yours.

There are newer reviews for Le Meurice

Reviewed May 19, 2013

First, allow me provide context that I am extremely well-traveled, accustomed to staying at 5-star properties worldwide and visited Paris very often over the past 20 years. This visit was to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday and her first visit to Paris. I noted this on the pre-stay questionnaire kindly provided by Guest Relations and requested a room overlooking the Tuileries with a view the Eiffel Tower. (I remembered this view from celebrating my 40th bday there--simply stunning!) The reservations team was extremely patient with me going back and forth by email to help me select just the right room.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly like frequent guests and checked in quickly. The room was perfect as promised with "the" view, luxurious marble bathroom and surprise! a beautiful chocolate ganache cake for the occasion, along with wine, macarons and the sweetest fresh fruit.

But wait, there is more! We had friends flying in from Sweden whom we had not seen for 25 years and I asked if we might arrange a small reception for the occasion. Marc-Antoine and Pauline in Guest Relations arranged the most stunning champagne reception (along with our cherished ganache cake) on a private patio on the rooftop of the hotel. They carefully explained this is not always possible if someone is staying in the adjoining suite, but we were in luck and they were very gracious.

When I had trouble with my phone, the Front Desk staff somehow miraculaously obtained a SIM card for me just before shops were due to close for 2 holidays occurring that week. Most hotels would probably have told me where I could go buy one, but Le Meurice handled all that hassle for me with quick efficiency and gracious smiles.

I also needed help to change concert reservations I had made for Sainte Chappelle just prior to our trip, not once, but three times!! The Front Desk kept checking for us over the holidays and were so nice throughout all despite my obvious poor scheduling.

There are many lovely and helpful hotels in Paris, but I feel compelled to rave about the entire team at Le Meurice who went above and beyond even their high level of service and smoothed every potential hassle we might encounter to deliver a truly memorable visit for me and my Mom.

Everyone -- from the doormen and Front Desk staff who welcomed us to the Guest Relations team who treated us so generously -- went above and beyond.

Highly, highly recommend Le Meurice for your next special visit. Even to stay in one of their beautiful rooms is beyond compare. We will always cherish the memory of this amazing visit.

My only nit (and a small one) is that I was rather surprised to find Penhaligon amenities here. I understand Le Meurice is now owned by the Dorchester collection and expect to see this in their London propertiies, but perhaps in Paris, we could have French amenities...?

Thank you for an unforgettable visit!!

Room Tip: Splurge on a room facing the Tuileries with a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa415212

Dear Lisa,
I am very flattered with your wonderful review of Hotel Le Meurice. To read that you had an “amazing stay” is quite a compliment!
It’s lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us for such a special occasion and we hope to see you very soon in Paris!
Looking forward to your return,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Le Meurice for 2 nights as part of an Orient Express package and were unfortunately disappointed.
Although the hotel itself is an outstanding building and the rooms are lovely there were aspects of our stay that did not live up to the standard you would expect for this calibre of hotel.

The service in Le Dali restaurant for breakfast and dinner was very average and the first morning we were not even given a breakfast menu with the option to order extras. The food was however delicious but let down by the fact that most of the staff spent their time looking busy but not actually doing a great deal.

Our bedrrom was great with a good sized bathroom, however the shower temperature varied from cool to hot throughout the time you showered without ever touching the controls!

Next time we go to Paris we will stay elsewhere as this is definitely not value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Sharon324
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Sharon324

I am extremely disappointed to hear about the service and the technical issues you experienced throughout your stay.

This certainly does not reflect the five star service our staff prides themselves on. Please be assured I have followed up with the different teams and the technical problems have since been resolved.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as only through communication with our guests can we truly measure and exceed expectations.

If you should be planning another trip to Paris, please do contact me if you have a moment when I would be honored and grateful to discuss this experience with you.
With sincere regards and apologies,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just back from a four night stay at Le Meurice. The hotel is stunningly beautiful and the staff extremely courteous and helpful. However, our breakfast experience was consistently poor.

When we checked in, arriving late and very tired, we were told that breakfast would be served until 12.00. We strolled down at 11.40 and were told that we had been misinformed. Other guests, who arrived in the dining room after us, had the same problem. We were served breakfast and eventually our poached eggs arrived stone cold! We had high expectations the following morning but again, after a 20 minute wait our eggs arrived cold. The plates were always cold. This happened every morning.

We have stayed in many hotels in Europe and have never experienced such a disappointing breakfast. It is a very basic requirement to be served eggs that are at least warm. We couldn't understand what the problem was as they seemed to have many serving staff.

We had a lovely dinner on Sunday night and the food was as it should be. It arrived hot!

Would we stay there again? No, I don't think so as there are many other beautiful hotels in Paris, and who undoubtedly manage to serve a hot breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kitty905
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Kitty905,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review of your recent experience at restaurant le Dali.

Please accept, our sincerest apology first, for giving you a wrong information and then, for the problems you encountered throughout your different breakfasts at the restaurant.

Our primary aim is to satisfy our guests, and it is very upsetting for every member of the restaurant team to fail in fulfilling them. Hence, we are grateful to receive your comments and can assure you that the management team will surely avoid such occurrences to happen.

On a better note, I would like to thank you for the positive comments on the hotel decoration and the staff but I do sincerely regret your breakfast experience has left such a lasting impression of the Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Franka Holtmann,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The venerable Meurice is on the rue Rivoli, crowded and filled with tourist kitsch. Prices at the Meurice are equal to other Paris grande dame hotels, but not the hotel. Rooms are just ok, bathrooms below luxury standard, and the lobby/reception/restaurant floor very crowded and busy.
My junior suite was a weird pastiche with a window on a dark courtyard - but at least it was quiet. When I asked for a better room, nothing happened (it was Fashion Week, a very busy time). But the reception service was way below what I'm used to in Paris, a city I have visited for over 40 years. In short, over-prices and disappointing. For 900-1,000 euros a night, stay at the George V, Plaza Athenee or Bristol.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank EricMargolis
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear Sir,

I am sadden to hear that you were disappointed with your room and that your experience with our reception staff did not live up to our usual level of service.

Please accept our sincerest apologies and do not hesitate to contact my office directly if you wish to visit us again as would like to restore your faith in our property.

I assure you in advance of our best care and attention.

With my best regards

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our 2 year anniversary in Paris and decided to stay at Le Meurice because we had heard great things about it (and it is also the name of my husband's late grandfather!).
I have been to Paris before but my husband had not and Le Meurice ended up being the perfect place for our first trip to Paris together. The hotel exceeded my expectations in every way. From the minute we walked in we were not only impressed with the hotel's beauty, but the service was impeccable. Everyone was friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us.
We were able to upgrade our room because we had booked with American Express Platinum and our room was fantastic.
The location is great. We walked everywhere for four straight days (Left Bank, Right Bank, Le Marais, Montmarte, the Canal St. Denis area, the Louvre, Notre Dame, Tour d'eiffel, Champs Elysees).
We cannot wait to come back and have the wonderful Le Meurice as our home base again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jh4711
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear jh4711,

Thank you for choosing Le Meurice for your Parisian getaway.

It is great to hear how impressed you were with your accommodations and the service provided to you. Our staff will be pleased to hear they were able to “exceed your expectations” and to put a special touch on your recent stay to make it memorable for you and your husband.
We really look forward to your return.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Top class hotel, with amazingly attentive yet discrete staff... Lovely spacious, well appointed room even though we were in Paris where rooms are normally the size of a shoe box :-) Lovely check in service seamless and relaxing! Beautiful bar and restaurant with a great range of food and drink.. Definitely one of the best hotels in Paris.... great location..... beautiful place to stay or pop in for a nice drink in fabulous surroundings..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sabreso
LeMeuriceParis, Directeur général at Le Meurice, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for being so thoughtful in giving your appreciation of the time spent with us.

We were touched to read your kind words towards Le Meurice. Your praise and comments on the quality of service and the carefulness of our staff are surely one of the best compliments you could ever make to us.

I was also truly happy to read your positive feedback on the decoration and the size of our rooms as well as your comments regarding our restaurants and Bar. They are a nice reward to our continuous effort to meet our clients’ expectations.

We hope to have the occasion of welcoming you back in a not too distant future, and I look forward to seeing you at that time.

Warmest regards,