“OASIS”

Harry's New York Bar
Ranked #12 of 442 Nightlife in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This old bar was a favorite hangout of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway in the 1920s.
Manchester, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“OASIS”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

But for the smart phones you are transported back in time. A meeting place for intellectuals, artists, writers and the wealthy or aspiring. Calm, ambient and relaxing. Your choice is served to you by white coated professional bar staff. We had Absinthe served in tumblers with sugar on small bridges through which water was piped from a device that had the appearance of an early petrol pump. Theatre! Nobody was in a rush or shouting to be heard amongst the authentic decor. A must for the list of places to visit.

Visited February 2014

• Greek first
  • Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nice, comfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Really nice place to duck into for a few hours, everything's relaxed. Good cocktails and friendly staff. Cocktails are a little pricey, but apart from that - all good.

Kaiserslautern, Germany
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Good cocktails, Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stopped in because of all the history and hype surrounding the bar. It was fairly busy, but we found a table and were served promptly. Unfortunately, when the waiter brought our drinks out, he brought the wrong drinks. When we told him this, he brought us the correct drinks and left us the old drinks to enjoy, free of charge, so that was nice. The service from then-on-out was very good. The drinks are all about €13-18 per drink, which for Paris, is reasonable for a cocktail. There is awesome history in this bar, and I wish I could have experienced the the piano bar, but we were there in the late afternoon and it doesn't open until evening. Overall, I would suggest you take a quick trip into Harry's, try to find your University's pennant hanging on the wall, and enjoy a cocktail.

Visited January 2014
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Classic cocktails at a legendary bar”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I visited Harry's New York bar during our time in Paris. When we entered, it felt like you were stepping back in time. I could feel the presence of Hemingway, Fitzgerald and all of the 1920's artists. The room was paneled in dark wood and old college pendants from schools in the US set the tone. The bartender at the front bar told my friend and I there was a bar in the basement and at 10:00 there would be live jazz. My friend and I headed down the ancient stairs (that were rather steep) and I thought, I'd better not get too drunk otherwise, I might not make it back up the stairs! We ordered several rounds of classic cocktails and sat on a plush red banquette. For four cocktails, it was about $75 US including tip.. Certainly you are paying for the history, whenever I'm in Paris in the future, I would come back. Why not? I'm in Paris!!
The

Buffalo, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A LITTLE AMERICAN HISTORY IN PARIS”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

This is a great little unpretentious bar with history. The bar opened by Harry in 1911. It was an infamous hangout of Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald during the 1920's. The bar was stripped of it's zinc covered bar top by the Nazis during WWII and was actually closed for a short time during that war. The zinc was used by the Nazi's for ammunition casings The bloody Mary was invented here in 1921 and the side car was invented in 1931. The sidecar was named after motorcycles with side cars during that time. Harry was quite a rogue and an icon in Paris especially for ex-pats. He died in 1958. Drinks cost about $15 US and are prepared by excellent friendly and very pleasant bar tenders who will not hesitate to tell you a little history about the bar. Gelle has worked at the bar for 29 years. Antoine was an attentive and very well informed bar tender. While the bar is small, it has a lot of character. The ceiling is actually tooled leather that was stained by cigarettes for many years. You will see a lot of high end liquor stored in the cabinets and even a wooden1940's television propped in the corner. Lots of university pendants etc. There is a 1940'/1950's hot dog warmer on the bar. The wood panels and bar are original. This is not a bar for children. Cocktails are prepared to order and made properly. If your tired of cafe's and wine and want a well crafted cocktail, Harry's is the place for you. Just remember this is the real Harry's, Harry's Bar in Venice is a facsimile.

Visited December 2013