Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $11.27
from $23.67
from $55.24
6,484 results
All reviews jim morrison oscar wilde buried here beautiful cemetery grave sites maria callas specific graves final resting place morrison's grave famous names interesting place peaceful place wear comfortable shoes metro stop few hours couple of hours wander around
Selected filters
Reviewed July 19, 2019

You probably need a good full day to properly visit this place. The amount of history both decades old and most current is amazing. Many surprises await just around the next bend. Being a cemetery, you need to understand there is a lot more beyond just tombs. It is very easy to reach, either by metro or bus, my reco -weather depending- : take the metro to Place Voltaire and walk from there via Rue de La Roquette. It is a nice stroll that will get you in the right state of mind. You might want to grab a bite before going to the cemetery and have plenty of water. Tip: there are restrooms on the "side" entrance that is on a side street to the right of the main entrance as you face it. You can also get there going to the main entrance and take the first "road" to the right. There are signs though not very prominent.
Best is having a plan of what do you want to visit: many seem to gravitate to the Jim Morrison tomb. There are plenty of "famous" people, depending on your definition of and probably your age. Best to have a google map handy, I had heard you can get one by the entrance.
Entrance is free, as well as the restrooms (a rarity actually).
The terrain is not flat, mostly gently slopes but also stairs. Wear comfy shoes, comfy clothes.
One day might not be enough, I'm planning going back again in a few months.
Seems to be secure given the amount of people I've seen, but as always, don't carry too much money or anything of value just in case.

Date of experience: June 2019
3  Thank mjolk
Reviewed July 16, 2019

Stepping into Père Lachaise Cemetery is like stepping into a wonderland. Beautiful memorials and trees everywhere. Interesting pathways meandering every which way. We stayed for hours just walking and exploring. Easy to navigate on your own.

Date of experience: May 2019
22  Thank misopiso88
Reviewed July 16, 2019

I've been wanting to visit this famous cemetery for a long time. But my earlier trips to Paris ended up focusing on the Big Sights. If you love the quiet and cool of cemeteries, don't wait like I did. This is a gem.
There's a wonderful inexpensive French restaurant/bistro just outside the cemetery - L'Ami Justin. It was the only place I ate in that served a vegetable dish (souffled squash) with a main dish (excellent white fish) and had a perfect fruit tart and sorbet dessert.
The cemetery is easily reached from anywhere in Paris. There are bus stops and a metro station near the entrance. I was there on one of the hottest on record in Paris, and the tree-lined streets were a welcome relief. I didn't try to find Jim Morrison's, Edith Piaf's or Oscar Wilde's tombs, but let myself wander at will. Along the way I passed Chopin's and Colette's grave sites. But better still, I found much history, lovely art, and a respite from touristic areas.

2  Thank Nina H
Reviewed July 15, 2019

Peaceful little retreat after a few hectic days in Paris! And what an experience getting to see the resting place of some of my favourite heroes!
2 things to note - the cemetery is huge, so take comfortable shoes and be prepared to spend at least an hour there. Also, it's very easy to get lost. I'd recommend using the Vidi Guides app - it has free audio-guides and a gps map. Really helped us discover more about the Pere Lachaise and not get lost!!

2  Thank JamesTravel101290
Reviewed July 12, 2019

Peaceful and picturersqe, but not so easy to walk without stumbling. Good maps. (The bust I remember from my youth at the grave of Jim Morrisson had apparantly been stolen 30 years ago - I feel old!)