“So peaceful and so much history”

Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise)
Book In Advance
$26.83*
Paris 2-Hour Small Group Tour of Pere Lachaise Cemetery
Ranked #36 of 1,181 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous cemetery is the burial site of numerous French luminaries - authors, writers, musicians and more.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I love walking through this cemetery. This was my second visit, and I found Rick Steve's Paris guide to be very helpful in finding the graves. Even the crematorium is interesting. Seeing the graves of Abelard and Heloise, Chopin, Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas, Oscar Wilde and others is a history lesson. Even more touching are the memorials to the war dead and victims of the Nazi concentration camps. On a chilly November day, the paths in the cemetery were lined with beautiful pots of mums in addition to the floral displays on individual graves--a testament to the honor paid to the deceased. We found starting at the entrance near the Gambetta metro stop and ending at the Pere LaChaise station was more convenient than vice versa. I highly recommend you include this site in your visit to Paris, even if you think cemeteries ghoulish.

There are newer reviews for Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Pere-Lachaise ended up being one of my favorite sites in Paris. There was hardly anyone there the day we went so we basically had the place to ourselves. We forgot our guidebook so we had no clue where we were going but we found some beautiful markers and sculptures in our wanderings. We did find Chopin's magnificent grave and Jim Morrison's humble grave site. But I enjoyed just wondering around seeing all the different graves. It was very peaceful and serene here and very beautiful. I have read on other reviews that there were maps for sale outside but we saw none for sale and saw no guides that could be hired the day we were there. I recommend not forgetting your guidebook or map!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Many people go to Pere-Lachaise to see the graves of famous people. What is unfortunate is how some of the graves have been treated. I watched one mother and and her teenage son crawl over the barricades to stand beside Jim Morrison's grave with no regard whatsoever for the fact that it is a GRAVE. Even worse was the damage that has been done to Oscar Wilde's grave and his neighbor's grave. It is sickening that people can be so disrespectful. That being said, this is a good place to visit to learn more about the Parisian culture and how death is handled. Honestly, there is so much more to the cemetery than the graves of a few famous people. I do recommend that you either have a guide or a good map as the cemetery is quite large. We hired a private guide that took us there and showed us around. There are lots of guides for hire when you enter the cemetery, but I have no idea how good they are. Finally, there are many short, steep hills to climb in the cemetery so take that into account with everyone in your party.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

A peaceful place which is well worth a trip to get away from the big, bustling city and wander around this varied, fascinating cemetery. Far more interesting than I expected.

Probably well known to foreigners as the resting place of James Douglas Morrison. There's likely to be a small crowd around his fenced off grave all leaning for a strangely essential but ultimately rather pointless photo.

Has its own Metro station, very easy to get to on lines 2 and 3. On a bit of a hill and cobbled. Web site has a pdf map you can download and there's also a map as you enter.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

A place to go that is cool, quiet, and interesting. This was our 4th trip to Paris and my daughter's birthday request (we live in Germany). We let her dictate the sights, as we had been to all of the big sites previously. The cemetery is interesting, but try to find a map (or memorize the ones at the entry ways--there are no others). If you are going to go, find one online that is detailed before you go and pick out the sites you wish to see, or just have fun strolling around. Most people seem to head to Jim Morrison's grave, which is tucked back amid others, is very simple, and surrounded by a barricade. Edith Piaf was a couple of graves in and unless you know where to go and what to look for, you will not find it. One of the most recognizable was Oscar Wilde's grave, which is now surrounded by plexiglass to keep women from kissing the tomb--they now lipstick-up and kiss the plexiglass. The row at the rear of the cemetery has many monuments to the Holocaust (by camp/site) and many other Nazi victims--it was very interesting.

I recommend it if you've seen the "big items" and want something free, interesting, and usually not crowded. The architecture and styles are enjoyable just to walk around. The closest similarity I've seen in the U.S. is the cemetery in New Orleans (with Marie Laveaux), but this one is much larger, more interesting, and better maintained.