“An interesting experience. Worth the visit.”

Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise)
Book In Advance
$25.13*
Paris' Pere Lachaise Gravestone Walking Tour
Ranked #35 of 1,251 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous cemetery is the burial site of numerous French luminaries - authors, writers, musicians and more.
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This is worth the visit ONLY WITH A MAP of the cemetery. I didn't think I needed one and it was very difficult to find the graves of famous people. That said, the cemetery is set up with avenues and sections and is really beautiful. I was lucky that the weather was nice. The other warning is that it covers a large area so wear comfortable footwear and be prepared to walk a lot to traverse the cemetery.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,811)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Pere Lachaise Cemetery is a must if you want to see some very unique graves and monuments. I am sure the big draw for many is Jim Morrison's grave which we were told you would smell the area it is in long before you saw it, but when we got close there was none of that “sweet smelling MJ” waifing in the air. His grave is behind a large crypt and a very large tree. If there were no one else around his grave you could very well miss it.

As well as Oscar Wilde and Chopin there were so many notables there but you would need all day to find your way around and actually find them. There were so many weird and wacky monuments or statues over loved ones graves. As well on the Gambetta side of area was the Holocaust Memorials which were truly stunning and very artistic and again scary in nature.

While we were making our way around we ran into Raphael who volunteered to show us around to some of the graves. He obviously did this for his living and knew his stuff and all the shortcuts to get to many of the graves but he was in too much of a hurry and we finally had to cut him loose. He had helped us get to a few of the high spots in record time so we gave him a few euros but it didnt seem enough for him and was a bit annoyed. He was a character and glad he did help us out for awhile.

If you are planning on visiting, enter it from the Gambetta entrance as it is the high point of the cemetery and you will be going downhill from there. You will not be happy going uphill. Also ... wear comfy shoes !!

1  Thank bdwy_babe
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here to finally pay my respect to Jim. It was beautiful, not too many people around and his grave has clearly been tidied up which was nice to see. This is a lovely peacful place with lots of interesting graves and amazing tombs. Take a picture of the map at the entrance before starting your walk around. You won't find the ones you're looking for if you don't.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

On a solo trip to Paris one year I went here. I highly recommend it. Its not morbid, but rather peaceful and interesting. Definitely get a map. I got lost, and as it was closing I walked out a rear exit and right onto a movie. A crew was setting up for a shot at the gates I just came out of. What a blast! I went across the street to a cafe had a hot chocolate and watched them set up the scene. If your looking for something else to do in Paris after you
you've done all the biggies, this is a nice change.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went to see Jim Morrison, one of too many celebs in this cemetery.
The cemetery park itself is too big. It's hard to find all celebs you want to see, perhaps at most five.
Jim's tomb is fenced so you can't get close. All flowers would be thrown and will someone fixed to decorate his place (maybe!).
It was funny that some groups were led by guides. A tour of cemetery,,, !

1  Thank TempParisienne