“Not to be missed!”

Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (Cimetiere du Pere-Lachaise)
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Paris 2-Hour Small Group Tour of Pere Lachaise...
Ranked #75 of 1,281 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This famous cemetery is the burial site of numerous French luminaries - authors, writers, musicians and more.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was most excited to see Jim Morrison's grave, we had an excellent tour guide and also saw Chopin, Oscar Wilde, Balzac and quite a few others. There was a rope keeping us from getting too close to Morrison's grave and I was trying to leave a photo there -- I did, and it was quite a challenge and fortunately I did not get arrested because evidently they deem it "vandalism". I wore the stupidest shoes for this very difficult cobblestone walk but I made it through -- this is a must do in Paris!!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,935)
All reviews
in 28 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Cemeteries are not usually top attractions around the world, but this one is different, and as soon as I stepped inside its walls, I could see why. Père-Lachaise is a calm, silent and strangely peaceful place, filled with graves, old and new, contrasting beautifully with the nature around. It does not seem to be a sad place filled with sorrow and regrets as most cemeteries do, but it’s a happy place instead. To walk along the stone roads inside the Père-Lachaise is to be taken to another reality.

Père-Lachaise is big. REALLY big. Try to get a map if you can, otherwise it will be hard to find the graves you’re interested in seeing. Even better: do a quick research beforehand and mark the names you want to see (Wikipedia has a great list), otherwise you WILL miss someone interesting and you WILL regret it later. Also, be sure to have enough time to spare – if you rush around you won’t enjoy as much as you should.

1  Thank Seelenwahnsinn
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We went to check out Jim Morrison's grave and a few others. It was a gorgeous sunny day at the height of summer so I was expecting the place to be packed, but it wasn't. There were other visitors at the graves of the well known people but not like any other tourist attraction in Paris. My husband and I brought along cheese and baguettes and had a picnic lunch on a bench. It was a atmospheric, interesting and beautiful site to visit. It's quite large though and hilly, so be prepared to do some walking.

1  Thank Kate T
Reviewed July 24, 2013

People always look at me strangely when I say this, but Pere Lachaise is absolutely my favorite place in Paris. Something about the history, love, and tragedy there, getting lost as you look for so-and-so's grave, and really having to slow down, be still, and be quiet is something I really enjoy. I've probably been here more often than any other place in Paris (with the exception of our local pub for weekly pub quiz!). I love everything about it and recommend it to others all the time.

2  Thank visionaria
See more reviews
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It's pretty unusual for a Chinese to visit a cemetry but this one is definitely not the same like the ones I've been to in Malaysia. It's clean, beautiful & huge (yes, you'll get lost easily)! I don't feel uncomfortable even I was there alone! :D

Before you start exploring this place, go to the Admin's office (if you're getting out from Pere Lachaise's Metro station ie.right opposite, that's the side entrance, pls go towards your right & you'll see a big office building) to get the map or otherwise you'll be having a tough time wondering around!

A must to check out Jim Morrison's grave & there's a gum tree right in front of it. Tips, just look out for the biggest crowd cos everyone there wants to visit Jim's grave! ;)

1  Thank msbel2012