“outstanding building”

$35.92*
Skip the Line: Guided Tour of Notre Dame Cathedral Towers
$41.92*
and up
Skip the Line: Notre Dame Cathedral, Tower and Ile de la Cite Half-Day Walking...
$137.74*
Private Tour: Notre Dame Cathedral, the Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie
Ranked #4 of 1,245 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This famous cathedral, a masterpiece of Gothic architecture on which construction began in the 12th century, stands on the Île de la Cité and is the symbolic heart of the city.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Cathedral was bigger than expected but alas the queues were very long to enter. We felt as if we were in a hurry as we knew how long the queues were to get in and it was a very hot day.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

You have to visit here, and you won't be disappointed. If you've been to the cathedral in Cologne, Germany it will seem small, but it is great history.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My family took in the Notre Dame Cathedral interior three years ago and were impressed with the attraction. On the last day of that visit, I noticed a long line up on the side of the cathedral to take visitors to the top. We did not join the line then but took note of it for a return visit....

...I'm glad to say my son and I made the journey to the top a few days ago and it was WORTH IT! You pay a nominal amount, walk up a series of winding, tight staircases and passageways to two balconies and a bell tower. The 360 degree panoramic views of Paris are incredible. There are also great close-ups of the gargoyles and exterior details of the cathedral.

Notwithstanding, the journey up is not for everyone in light of the stairs and tight passageways.

1  Thank The_Esplanade
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe Notre Dame is a beautiful building and is well worth a visit if you're in Paris. The main reason for only giving 3/5 is this - my standards have been raised! I've had the pleasure of visiting the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona on several occasions - and Notre Dame just doesn't come close as either an attraction or architecture.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We visited Paris after 4 days (and many churches) in Rome so we were not sure how interesting another cathedral would be, but it really was stunning. We went on a slightly overcast day and the stained glass and atmosphere of the inside was amazing - quite different than many of the other gothic style cathedrals in Paris. Might be worth scheduling in to the middle or toward the end of a day of sight seeing so you're happy to sit and enjoy the windows. We also did the tour of the top, which despite a 35 min wait, was quite interesting - you're able to walk across both towers and up into the Belfry and see one of the bells. Not everyone might be interested in the trip to the top, but definitely worth stopping inside.