“"SUBLIME would be a gross understatement”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shu

Shu
Ranked #841 of 16,870 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Odeon / Saint-Michel
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“"SUBLIME would be a gross understatement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

"SUBLIME" would be a gross understatement.

I had qualms after reading all the superlatives heaped on this establishment. Fully expecting to be let down, I wasn't. I was blown away.
First, the room is magnificent in a simple, understated Japanese way.
The servers and their presentation are equally so. But the food! It's beyond any Japanese dining experience you are likely to have ever had.
Why there isn't a year-long waiting list to get in, I can't imagine. It's that good. But a word of warning. If you're looking for decent sushi, sashimi, tempura -- conventional and acceptable Japanese fare -- this ain't your place. This is a place on a higher plane. Let's start with just the rice. My sushi rice has a following. When I tasted the rice here I felt as though mine was as corduroy to their silk.
It's all about the subtleties. If you are not a true aficionado of Japanese cuisine, you won't appreciate the subtle transition from good or great to extraordinary.
The first few tastes of sashimi are wonderful. Then comes the hamachi sushi and your first encounter with true brilliance. The rice. This is like no sushi I've ever seen or tasted.
They serve small diced yellowtail with an herb and finely chopped sun-dried tomato mixed in with that rice, smaller grain, more moist and silky than any I've ever tasted. After, there's the dollop of crab and vegetable floating in a sauce so exquisite I wouldn't let them take it away, feeling I must protect and save it for use on something else.
Then come 9 or 12 tempura-like concoctions, eggplant, taro, broccoli, a deep-fried burger of beef and pork, followed by skewers of lobster, shrimp, fish. Then more of that amazing rice now swimming in a broth of green tea, herb and seaweed.
I've kept much of this most memorable experience out, so you can experience it new and fresh on your own.

1 Thank eamccabe

Annecy, France
“Fantastic Evening of Great Japanese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Selected this resto from an article in Cote Sud magazine on new Paris restaurants. Our evening's adventure in Japanese food was from the middle price-fixed menu. Everything about this place was great -- From its tiny doored entrance off Rue Suger in the 6th, to the pleasant wait staff and delicious and creatively presented food. Each of the many plates presented offer the eater new taste sensations. This is a wonderful place to enjoy an evening. Be sure to reserve as the resto is quite busy.

• Visited March 2013
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Japanese paradise in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Based on the numerous good comments on this place, we went there for an evening dinner. The place is cosy, quiet and beautiful. The service is the best we've seen in a long time. The food quality is beyond every Japanese food we could find in Europe. And the prices are really honest compared to the quality and quantity. Affordable, you'll find a whole travel through Japanese cuisine like you normally can't find outside of Japan. We'll come back every time we are in Paris.

Brooklyn, New York
“Cute Japanese Tapas Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We came here on our first night in Paris. First advice is to make reservations! We were lucky and had a table only because we came so early (7 PM). You have the option of ordering a small, medium, or large tasting menu. The selections are by the chef's choice. I will say I ordered the large and was done after about half of it. Although it was delicious (lots of fresh sashimi and tempura), there was a lot of fried and breaded seafood/vegetables that became too heavy at the end. The mood is very romantic, quiet, and with its low ceilings and dim lightly, is very intimate and great for a romantic date.
We probably won't come back (too much fried food!) but will still recommended for someone who is looking for an alternative to French cuisine in Paris!

• Visited February 2013
Netherlands
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic dinner at Shu's. Suprising food, friendly atmosphere and nice location. But we would never have found it without tripadvisor. The food on sticks was a pleasant surprise and we enjoyed every course. Make sure you make a reservation - at time of opening at 18.30 we were able to manage a table, all others had a reservation. I would surely recommend this little restaurant!