“Excellent food, nice ambience”

La Maison de Verlaine
Ranked #287 of 18,014 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We had lunch here. The food was good. The starters of escargots and avocado with prawns and crab was excellent. The main dish of salmon pasta and trout was reasonable. The dessert is good too. The place is well decorated. The staffs are also very friendly. Personally, I felt the main course took too long to be out but again we were "rushing" to visit the area as tourist. But its a nice restaurant to spend time in so the time spent was worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)

Reviewed December 13, 2012

we found this eatery in search of something nearby, with decent reviews and not too cher!! it fit the bill on all counts. lets move to the food, quickly. this is a tourist type place, with three different pricing versions of the fixed price menu, starting at about 15 euros..thats cheap, but about par for a number of tourist style eateries around the Rue Mouffetard and Rud Descartes. For your money you get three course, including a starter (entree), a main course (plat), and dessert. I ordered a herring appetizer for my first, course, which was pretty decent, with a nice slab of herring over lettuce and tomatoes. My companion ordered the french onion soup, with a mess on melted cheese on the top. Not bad for starters...My main course was a peppered steak, which is a relatively modest, fairly flat properly cooked steak,served with relatively flavorless mashed potatoes and veggies. oddly reminiscent of cafeteria style food, and certainly lacking anything remotely French in taste or style. Perhaps this feels like a comfort food for some diners. Dessert for me was a tarte normande, which is a simple apple tart. it was fine. my companion tried to the fresh fruit, which wasnt all that fresh. So,is it a good deal or what?? the basic cheapy dinner is filling and adequate, but then so is McDonalds or KFC. Prices for wine tend to be OK, but not much value...a 1/4 liter, which was simply a 4 oz glass of generic red wine, was around 5 euros. A bottle of this same stuff at a market across the street sells for under 4 euros. So, the wine is a surprisingly poor value, in a city where wine can be an extraordinary find.
the environment is pure kitsch....photos of celebs all over the bare wood and stone walls...kind of like an old ;pizza place. it is crowded inside when the outside is too cold, but might be a bit more pleasant when the weather allows for outside dining.
Bottom line - you can do much better for just a few more euros....but you will not leave unhappy or hungry.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My friend and I stumbled upon this restaurant on a cold Sunday for lunch. There are lots of restaurants nearby and most have a set menu, with choices for entree, main and dessert for very reasonable prices. We love France because you can't really get great food in a lovely restaurant for that kind of prices in London.

La Maison de Verlaine has 2 set menus, one for around 15euros and the other around 19euros, for 3 courses. My friend had the onion soup, which was delicious and I wish I had ordered it myself. I had a duck salad which was fresh but I wished I had gone for the terrine instead after seeing other diners ordering it (they were locals and it looked delicious). We both had steak for main, mine was with a delicious green butter, my friend's was with pepper sauce. Both steak were cooked perfectly (I like mine rare whilst she liked hers well done). The decor and ambience of this restaurant is lovely, its a mix of mainly locals and some tourists but for the price, location and service (which was brilliant), this is a great find. Carafe of house wine was around 10euros, and it was good. I would go back again especially when its such a good value and would recommend to others.

Bon appetit!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We wanted to choose a restaurant for my 60th birthday meal and had walked around the local area for a couple of hours, without finding anything we liked at a resonable price. Then, we found this place which had actually been recommended by our hotel, but we couldn't find the road initially (the backroads around the Pantheon and the Place de la Contrescarpe are a bit small and confusing!) So, we booked up for 6 and when we arrived in the evening we were not disappointed. Good attentive service and good food. We enjoyed our evening and would return on a future visit. We had two friends who are vegetarian and the chef cooked two lovely omellettes for them, even though this was not on the menu.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Happened to find this place and saw English menu posted outside of the restaurant while we were walking around the Pantheon, so we decided to have lunch here. It turned out to be a very nice lunch.

The decoration is lovely and the wall was posted with photos of famous actors. The outdoor seats and indoor seats all looked nice.

We especially enjoyed the food. Nice soup and snail as entree. The big suprise was the plat. My friend had the frog's leg and I had the chicken. I have to say, since we are from China (place with all the spicy and tasty food), these two dishes did fit to us. I did not try my friend's dish, but my chicken was crispy and tasty.

The smart waiter (I am not sure whether you are waiter) friendly asked us to post comment in Chinese here, which is a brilliant way for business. Since we really enjoy the lunch, I would like to post my comment here and help others to find it. Maybe the boss will add a menu in Chinese in the future?

偶然发现这家离先贤祠很近的餐厅,鉴于有英文菜单展示着,我们决定进去吃个午餐。事实证明相当不错的馆子。布置有情调,墙上还挂满了明星的照片。主菜我们选了蛙腿和鸡胸,全都非常美味。尤其作为口味较重的中国人,蛙腿的香浓味道和鸡胸的香脆酱香都非常符合我们的口味。

店里的小哥非常有生意头脑,结账时特意表示希望我们如果喜欢的话可以在tripadvisor发表中文的评论。hoho,当然要来发表一下。希望有一天店里会因为中国客人的络绎不绝而增设中文菜单~~~