“This Restaurant Changed My Mind About Oysters”
Review of Huitrerie Regis

Huitrerie Regis
Ranked #590 of 17,881 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Description: 16 Seats,some more outside when the sun helps! First arrived, first served (no reservation) to enjoy fresh oysters delivered daily from the producer and a bit more.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband is a huge fan of oysters and I, having only tried them twice, was simply not convinced. We decided to give Huitrerie Regis a try as it had really good reviews, and my husband was really interested in trying it out. I was a good sport and tagged along.

When we arrived at the resto, we were surprised as it was elbow to elbow, jammed inside. There was one open table inside, but we would have been wedged between two busy tables (I mean wedged!). We asked if we could wait a few minutes for an outdoor table. The waiter was so kind as to open a new table for us outdoors so we didn't even have to wait. We sat down and enjoyed overhearing the banter of locals and watching people go by.

We each ordered a platter of oysters (boy, was I such a sport) but my platter had several shrimp included. The platter was served with bread and butter on the side, as well as a ramekin of shallots in vinegar and plenty of lemon wedges as well.

The shrimp were fantastic, which I really wasn't too worried about. But imagine my surprise when i tried one oyster, and then another, and then another, and realised that I was actually ENJOYING them. (I had only had one glass of wine, so I was still in touch with all of my senses.)

This was one of our more memorable and delightful dining experiences in Paris and I would recommend it to oyster lovers and oyster haters alike. Regis just might change your mind!

2  Thank jaindough

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great for entrees before a main course at another restaurant. Minimum order is a dozen oysters.

This is a great example of how specialising in something can work really well. Oysters is the main stable here - and not cheap by any means but quality is the draw card. This small restaurant (with very confined working space for the staff) sits no more than 12 people inside and say 6 outside - its reputation for fresh oysters has a constant turn over of customers.

Le chef is in constant motion shucking the oysters which come in a variety and are as freesh as can be. We settled on 12 large Special Claires which were plump but not overly creamy. The quality really was the best. We also had shrimp (you cannot order a dozen between two diners). The prawns were medium size compared to what is offered in Australia and were not as tasty as the Ozzie varities. Still, they were fresh and one could tasts the sea.

There was fresh gain bread served throughout. We had a nice bottle of white wine to accompany the oysters and this came straaight out of the box, was poured into a glass carafe and sat in an ice bucket to cool - very minimum and very workable in the confines.

The meal cost E90 so only go if you are prepaared tto spend on seafood and work on the basis a main meal is likely to be required after a short wonder back through the alleys of other finer-end restaurants.

3  Thank Webster27
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Got a table for lunch without a wait. Had 2 dozen oysters and a bottle of white. The place is cozy, clean, and bright. The service was good and fast.

2  Thank soonerschwab
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Tiny place, open for lunch and dinner. Clean, white interior was very calming after a busy day sightseeing. We didn't have to wait the two times we went, apparently timing it right by accident. I loved the fixed menu choices. I went for the dozen oysters, glass of sancerre, and a coffee. They have a minimum order of one dozen. The oysters were perfect, as was the pairing with the house sancerre. The first time the service was indifferent, the second time super friendly. If you love oysters, this place is a must!

1  Thank Cgtraveler46
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had read about this little restautrant on Tripadvisor and decided to have lunch there on our last visit to Paris. They do not take reservations and there are only eight or ten tables so it is very possible that you will not be seates immediately, and be aware that there are restrictions on what you can order. Each person must order at least twelve items - oysters, clams, shrimp - but the twelve can be a combination of these. Or a couple can order one of the various mixed platters and share. We decided on twelve oysters; six les Spéciales de Claires no. 3, and six les Belons, and six clams, and un pichet of Bourgogne Chardonney. Everything was fabulous and we were glad we stopped in, but you should be aware that our lunch was pricey - 91.50 euros for the above and two last expressos.

Note that all of the wines are especially chosen to go with the particular food served at this restaurant. And note also that we did not try a sea urchin. Maybe next time.

1  Thank Pjk